News Canterbury head of football Phil Gould has been caught in another clandestine meeting, this time with a potential signing — New Zealand Warriors forwa

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree with your analysis.
Success is rugby league needs some astute decisions and some results otherwise the coaches head is on the chopping block.

You really have around 2 years to prove your worth or you're out. And that's fair enough. It gives you 2 chances to make a difference and if you don't, it's next man up.

If you at least show some improvement in the team and roster in those 2 years, you'll be rewarded with more years.

Barrett was a train wreck. Ciro's first year was just as bad. He has this year to redeem but we simply cannot get to the end of year without 3 of 4 spine positions sorted.

Otherwise, he's just not up to it. Not for this team.
Thanks. As much as our fans want to bag out Tigers, Dragons and Titans they seem to have a tad more direction. No one knows what our 1-6-7 is going to be for next year not even 1 of those positions. We all know the 9.

Of bottom 4 teams in 2023. 3 teams changed coaches. Tigers currently under going major review. More than Sheens look like going. Fiasco has been silenced. HappyHat appears finished as Chairman.

We kept the same.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can guarantee u that both gus and cc will both be at the club no matter what happens next season
If CC goes then Gould follows. A very real prospect by r10-12 this yr
@04 Dreaming Yes they do need results. I just don't think next year will be the year their jobs are on the line. I think 2025 is more likely the year as Bulldogs operate in election cycles. A lot will depend on who gets chairman. Any change in chairman puts Gould under accountability.

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm neither of them blokes but probably share the same reasoning as them.

The excuse of no halves available or no forwards available wears thin when you haven't chased them in 2 years let alone 4.

Most contracts are less than 4 years so to say there haven't been players come up on the market is a cop out.

You just have to admit that we rolled the dice with Flanno, Burton, TPJ, Thommo and came up with zero. Nothing wrong with trying. But when you fail, you move to the side and let someone else have a go.

Not having a go at all and flogging a dead horse choice does no one any favours
Name the half backs and front rowers that Gus and CC missed out on troll?

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
@04 Dreaming Yes they do need results. I just don't think next year will be the year their jobs are on the line. I think 2025 is more likely the year as Bulldogs operate in election cycles. A lot will depend on who gets chairman. Any change in chairman puts Gould under accountability.
well if there's no improvement come midway 2025 season than by all means there jobs would be under pressure, realistically next year I think we can all agree that we'll struggle and finish around botton 4

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bromwich brothers werent even in Qld to begin with lol. Gilbert and fleg both youngsters who wouldve gone interstate happily for a good offer as any young bloke would at the early stages of their career
@04 Dreaming Flegler nearly joined Roosters. They chose Flegler over Leinu. We wanted Leinu didn't sign him quick enough. Roosters came last minute got Leinu.

Correct. Bromwich brothers not from Queensland.

Last edited:

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
don't think any particular half was available to sign under gus.
There wasn't thats why I asked the troll. There was also barely any front rowers. Most of them were locked away. Teams see how vital they are and look after them. It also didn't help with the NRL adding the dolphins into the competition and thinning the talent pool even further.
But you watch 04 Dreaming...ahem I mean Marki, he won't be able to name a single decent halfback that CC missed and there was only a couple of decent front rowers that we missed.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bullshit we arent the only club with cap space. And wouldnt it entice clubs to have a bid if anything considering Gus constantly sprukes that he apparently wont pay overs for anyone
@04 Dreaming if we get AFB we will be the highest bidders. AFB will be an auction. When you sell a house you don't accept the 2nd highest bid. We are yet to see if the Warriors if anything will want. They know we will pay a transfer fee.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 5 year contract suggests he will get a third shot (using your maths)
Unless it REALLY hits the fan.
For example another player revolt. Which in my opinion is highly possible as I don’t believe the story that 1/3 of our squad became lazy.
Hopefully Cc learns from that experience but if the chaos continues it’ll give.
Otherwise simply bad results and nothing else I believe he will get until round 7 2025.
Remember that Bennett is a free agent at that time and clubs will be looking to get their hooks into him if they want a coaching change up with short terms success
If we have a train wreck 24 season then Bennet for 2/3 years is what the doctor ordered.
Flanno was as well but we missed that train.
@Nasheed people forget Bennett is available. It will mean Gould has to give up coaching the team, selecting the weekend team, recruitment and retention. Gould might just go down that path if he feels it activates the 5yr extension. We the only bottom 4 side who didn't change coach for 2024. I still think 2025 is the Ciraldo is under pressure. It's comes into the election cycle and Gould will be looking to get the 5yr extension formalised before the potential of an election in 2026.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also remember Gus’ survival is closely linked to CC survival
I’d CC gets the chop then Gus is on knifes edge
@Nasheed Yes Gould is closely linked to CC. Gould banked a lot on CC. Gould will be able to spin out of that. As you said. Bennett could be the saviour on that one. Gould can dig his way out of CC. I think Gould is more closely linked to Khoury. Their survival is reliant on the other.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Bromwich brothers werent even in Qld to begin with lol. Gilbert and fleg both youngsters who wouldve gone interstate happily for a good offer as any young bloke would at the early stages of their career
Oh you know players will move interstate do you? Clueless, less nrl quality players are moving interstate. The storm crew got overs to move , j brom would have been a great buy but he was always going to the new cashed up club with zero pressure and expectations. They over performed which made everything Rosie. But you keep talking to your left hand.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There wasn't thats why I asked the troll. There was also barely any front rowers. Most of them were locked away. Teams see how vital they are and look after them. It also didn't help with the NRL adding the dolphins into the competition and thinning the talent pool even further.
But you watch 04 Dreaming...ahem I mean Marki, he won't be able to name a single decent halfback that CC missed and there was only a couple of decent front rowers that we missed.
@Marki Unbelievable. Im sorry that u are the latest to be accused of being a troll running an ‘alt’ account all because u offer some critical independant thought and hold an opinion that differs from the Gould sheep. Some members on this page are really getting truly pathetic.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh you know players will move interstate do you? Clueless, less nrl quality players are moving interstate. The storm crew got overs to move , j brom would have been a great buy but he was always going to the new cashed up club with zero pressure and expectations. They over performed which made everything Rosie. But you keep talking to your left hand.
Yep most of them got overs which is what we should have been offering. Instead we had Gould refusing to pay overs for anything despite our pockets being full and our talent thin, leading with his ego thinking his presence would be enough to lure players to the club. It has cost us dearly when u sift thru all the key positions players weve missed on

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Marki Unbelievable. Im sorry that u are the latest to be accused of being a troll running an ‘alt’ account all because u offer some critical independant thought and hold an opinion that differs from the Gould sheep. Some members on this page are really getting truly pathetic.
@04 Dreaming only one player the Dolphins signed has affected a player we went after. Them signing Flegler saw Roosters show interest in Leinu and that's who we missed out on.

Players with years remaining at other clubs are prime targets for us.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep most of them got overs which is what we should have been offering. Instead we had Gould refusing to pay overs for anything despite our pockets being full and our talent thin, leading with his ego thinking his presence would be enough to lure players to the club. It has cost us dearly when u sift thru all the key positions players weve missed on
@04 Dreaming Gould's presence and profile works brilliantly in juniors and lower tiers. This is why we just sign juniors galore from other clubs. All pure signings. The NRL is a different beast. All clubs have some shrewd operator or they are trying to find a shrewd operator. Roosters and Broncos only two clubs where people likely to go for the presence and high profile. Broncos if you a Queenslander or want to be a big star in town. Roosters if you want that glamerous profile.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
You don’t pay overs to get us from 15 to 12. You build a foundation and develop youth and then you pay overs to win finals. If you pay over now in 3 yrs when we are winning they all need upgrades and can’t afford to keep them, then we are back to the start. You have to focus on developing not over paying to compete and avoid the spoon, you pay overs to win finals.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Who have we missed. Not every player off contract is available. Tell me who we missed out on. Spence went to the roosters, dollar for dollar who wouldn’t. Hunt also the qld crew were never leaving QLD or their clubs. You think every player is a target but one unless you pay 50 plus more which unrealistic the targets for a bottom 4 team are slim. We have ti build a team to compete than we will recruit the winning players. This isn’t a Gus thing as you always seem to link everything to, this has a been a club fail for the last 7 years. Has my point been received buzz?

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don’t pay overs to get us from 15 to 12. You build a foundation and develop youth and then you pay overs to win finals. If you pay over now in 3 yrs when we are winning they all need upgrades and can’t afford to keep them, then we are back to the start. You have to focus on developing not over paying to compete and avoid the spoon, you pay overs to win finals.
No. We are in the dumps. We need to pay whatever it takes for a couple of diamonds who play key positions to build the club around and move forward. Developing youth is great but theres no guarantee that we produce any superstars in the next few yrs, and even if we do produce young blokes with superstar potential, they need to be coming into the FG team with real quality within it already to assist them and provide leadership. We still have none of that and it needs to be addressed urgently

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. We are in the dumps. We need to pay whatever it takes for a couple of diamonds who play key positions to build the club around and move forward. Developing youth is great but theres no guarantee that we produce any superstars in the next few yrs, and even if we do produce young blokes with superstar potential, they need to be coming into the FG team with real quality within it already to assist them and provide leadership. We still have none of that and it needs to be addressed urgently
You need leadership. You need leaders.