Canterbury Bulldogs Player Signings, Re-signings & Rumour Mill: 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Mickey Paea departing for Hull KR was confirmed by recruitment manager Peter Mulholland.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
still short one front rower
I think we are ok tbh.

Eastwood can alternate if need be.

We have 4 props in Graham, Tolman, Kasiano and Taupau/Eastwood who can alternate if need be.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
Halatau has been one of our few performers this year and I would hope he would continue this form next year. Stagg was a revelation last week and I had completely forgotten how good he was until our previous coach got hold of him. If he shows that form next year he will be Lock of the Year again. Hopefully Eastwood's surgery will finally see him free of pain and he can be the powerhouse of earlier years and we are looking at a sensational year particularly if Tapau plays up to his promise. Can't wait.

Renepogel

New Pup
Reaction score
No way.

With the way Dene played before his season ending injury tells me wants to play. And none of this "If Stagg isnt starting, he isnt in the team". FFS does every farking player have to have an impact? Geez.

But even on that note -

08. Tolman
09. Ennis
10. Graham
11. Eastwood
12. Pritchard
13. Stagg

14. Reynolds
15. Halatau
16. Kasiano
17. Taupau
For me - Pritchard and Payne for 11 and 12. Reynolds to start at 6, don't rate keating - eastwood off the bench to start with

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For me - Pritchard and Payne for 11 and 12. Reynolds to start at 6, don't rate keating - eastwood off the bench to start with
Doesnt leave you with a wide running second rower. And I would love Reynolds at FE - but im sure they will go with Keating tbh. He is rated pretty highly by a lot of ppl at our club.

The make up of our teams are generally the same. Its just a matter off who starts and who is on the bench

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have also got Tim Browne who will be a good prop option... I think just focus on retention and no need to sign anyone... get rid of keating to have more cash... just imagine this team next year and it indicates we don't need to sign anymore:

1/ Barba
2/ Turner
3/ Morris
4/ Lafai
5/ Wright
6/ Reynolds
7/ Hodko
8/ Tolman
9/ Ennis (captain)
10/ Graham
11/ Franki
12/ Eastwood
13/ Stagg

14/ Romelo
15/ Payne
16/ Kasiano
17/ Tapau

and you have browne, millington, foster, halatau and other juniors as back up... Don't think we need any more players...

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have also got Tim Browne who will be a good prop option... I think just focus on retention and no need to sign anyone... get rid of keating to have more cash... just imagine this team next year and it indicates we don't need to sign anymore:

1/ Barba
2/ Turner
3/ Morris
4/ Lafai
5/ Wright
6/ Reynolds
7/ Hodko
8/ Tolman
9/ Ennis (captain)
10/ Graham
11/ Franki
12/ Eastwood
13/ Stagg

14/ Romelo
15/ Payne
16/ Kasiano
17/ Tapau

and you have browne, millington, foster, halatau and other juniors as back up... Don't think we need any more players...
Good side, I like it.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

1/ Barba
2/ Turner
3/ Morris
4/ Lafai
5/ Wright
6/ Reynolds
7/ Hodko
8/ Tolman
9/ Ennis (captain)
10/ Graham
11/ Franki
12/ Eastwood
13/ Stagg

14/ Romelo
15/ Payne
16/ Kasiano
17/ Tapau

very thin in the backs. Need another qualiy centre and winger

Mr Patwa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
very thin in the backs. Need another qualiy centre and winger

im sure we would have enough cash to buy 1 decent winger... i dont think we need to buy any front rowers as we have plenty... anyone from junior grades with potential to step up to a first grade winger should be our priority... i love when young locals play as they play with pride and desire to win ex. barba, reynolds

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who ever was instrumental in going after/signing keating must see something i dont. Dead set does he run like he has a pole up is a55 or is it just me?

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who ever was instrumental in going after/signing keating must see something i dont. Dead set does he run like he has a pole up is a55 or is it just me?
I'm sure you're not the only who runs like you have a pole up your ass mate, don't get too disheartened, there will be others out there like you!

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly we should sign Carney as a partner in the halves for Hodkinson....Carney has everything Hodkinson doesn't and vice versa....They would complement each other nicely

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would have to be the most tatted up halves combo in the history of rugby league

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
Sad to see Paea go, but he is surplus to the teams front-row needs, and either would'nt have been used as much as he should or would've been taking minutes from Kas,Tapau,Browne etc.

Absolute rubbish that Armit wasn't re-signed we do need ONE experienced back-up front-rower next year, especially because of how injury prone/inexperienced/impatient the three young props are. Hopefully Brad Morrin has another season or two of NSW cup and he'll be able to provide the insurance that Paea/Hodgson/Armit did this year.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think the NRL is lowering the NSW-cup tier salary cap, which is why we cannot re-sign as many players as we would want. From what I heard, they are almost HALVING the exemption in the tier. We would kept a lot more players otherwise, and it really is just a shame. We are losing some quality depth players - but what can you do.

Its just the NRL being the corporate sl.ut that it is and whoring off the touch football comp that the NYC is.. at the expense of the NSW cup..

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the NRL is lowering the NSW-cup tier salary cap, which is why we cannot re-sign as many players as we would want. From what I heard, they are almost HALVING the exemption in the tier. We would kept a lot more players otherwise, and it really is just a shame. We are losing some quality depth players - but what can you do.

Its just the NRL being the corporate sl.ut that it is and whoring off the touch football comp that the NYC is.. at the expense of the NSW cup..
That would be one of the worst thing that the NRL could do.

We have around 400 players between 18 and 20 coming through every year or 2 (NYC). Just means unless they are absolute guns they will most likely not make it. It weakens our 2nd grade competition which is where most players get promoted from.

For the game to go forward we need a strong 2nd grade comp, where players like Morrin, Warburton, Armit, Paea etc (experienced fringe first graders/first grade bench players) play in a hard comp and are ready for NRL.

This is what the independent commission should fix. The game strengthens with development through lower grades, not weakening of these comps......

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Completely agree with you there mate.

From what I understand also, the NYC is currently sitting at under 20's, but will look to expand to under 21's possible 22's. The NYC is a rubbish comp. I really cannot take it seriously. Give me NSW cup pre-game any day of the week. Im expecting to head to a few more games next year, especially if they relocated to Belmore. I will also be there come Saturday afternoon to watch our boys go at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.