Canterbury Bulldogs Player Signings, Re-signings & Rumour Mill: 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we had 17 players in the team that played like steve turner we would have winning percentage this year. The guy runs hard (especially for a little bloke) and is not scared of getting smashed. He puts idris to shame with some of his runs and is dead set half his size. True competitor. Will never be the best player in the comp but is a player every team needs, consistent, tries 110% every week, hardly has an off game, and is great out of dummy half. He wont score 22 tries a year but his best game wont be too far from his worst. You know what you get each week.

I was one of the first that questioned him signing on, I was dead set against it, but he has shown his worth (maybe not as a goal kicker :p but he was never recruited for that role)
I was not overly happy when we signed him but i agree he has turned my opinion of him full circle. He trys his guts out every match. Doesn't do much thats flash but is solid & makes very few mistakes!

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Does anyone else get the feeling that we will lose barba, earlier this year TG stated that they were negotiating a contract extension that was at least 2 months ago and nothing since.

Malla

Reaction score
Quick question .. was the signing of Graham (I think his name is, FR from England) up to Moore? Even though he's a great acquisition, I don't think we need him given how much potential Taupau is showing. Kasiano and Toleman should be starting next year with Taupau off the bench. So now we have a log jam of front rowers and STILL no quality back rowers. We will no doubt lose Sam or Martin, Peaa will go as well. I think this is pretty sad, to lose another junior front rower, and potentially two if Sam and Martin decide to go.

G

Gladiator.

Wouldn't mind Tapau at second row or lock Malla, seems he has a bit of a running game and can throw an offload or two.

Malla

Reaction score
Wouldn't mind Tapau at second row or lock Malla, seems he has a bit of a running game and can throw an offload or two.
Well throughout juniors when we played against him, he was at lock however he is being groomed as a front rower? He would be gun in the back row, so would Eastwood however he isn't getting any game time there. Will be interesting to see what happens, I just don't think we needed Graham. We have quality and young front row. We need back rowers and some aggressiveness.

G

Gladiator.

Well throughout juniors when we played against him, he was at lock however he is being groomed as a front rower? He would be gun in the back row, so would Eastwood however he isn't getting any game time there. Will be interesting to see what happens, I just don't think we needed Graham. We have quality and young front row. We need back rowers and some aggressiveness.
8) Tolman
10) Graham
11) Pritchard
12) Eastwood
13) Payne

14) Taupau
15) Kasiano
16) Millington
17) Halatau

We have 2 props if needed in Tapau and Kasiano on the bench, Tapau can also come in on the 2nd row.

G

Gladiator.

But Graham is a 60min prop, so even just Kasiano, and whack Taupau on for Payne, would be f*cking epic front/ back row.

S

Shermy

Taupau will be an interesting one. He won't fully learn how to use his body for a couple of years yet up against men. He has the advantage of being much quicker and agile than most other front rowers so he could provide that extra edge in the middle of the field if paired with Graham or someone not as agile. At the same time he could fit in nicely on an edge just steamrolling blokes.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
8) Tolman
10) Graham
11) Pritchard
12) Eastwood
13) Payne

14) Taupau
15) Kasiano
16) Millington
17) Halatau
This pack would be great with ball in hand. They would be torn apart by the little quick guys in defence though!

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Turner is the most consistent player this year never takes a backward step and i s a winner.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think if we sign Ricky Stuart as coach, don't be surprised to see Tupou amongst our ranks....especially if he is on the outer at Cronulla, just saying!

cLEBrity

Mujnoon
Reaction score
Its not just Tupou Stuart will bring,
the guy has a whole State of Origin team that love him and want to play for him.

Interesting to see IF he becomes our coach

P

Paint.

I think if we sign Ricky Stuart as coach, don't be surprised to see Tupou amongst our ranks....especially if he is on the outer at Cronulla, just saying!
Don't think so, we have enough backrowers as it is... Altho Ricky does love his backrowers...

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score

He's on the outer for a reason. Bukuya is playing better and is currently about 300k a year cheaper lol

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't think so, we have enough backrowers as it is... Altho Ricky does love his backrowers...
yeh I agree with you there. We have potentially a great back row. Especially when you consider we are playing eastwood out of position at times. And with the likes of jackson, burr and finucane in the under 20s who should be pushing for first grade in the next 12-18 months. We might start to see our under 20s starts making an impact in first grade if they stick around.

Kasiano looks good as a replacement prop, as does taupau. And with graham and tolman combining for a rep front row. Eastwood and prichard a rep back row. Then the likes of stagg, payne, paea, millington, halatau, possibly finucane and jackson capable and in contention of the 3 remaining back row spots on the team. There is definitely class there and great depth. Will be one of the stronger packs on paper. But on paper never guarantees anything.

paxmaxi

Waterboy
Reaction score
I Think that Graham bloke from england is a great buy. have you guys seen him play.. HARD AS CEMENT. Sensational aquisition, a hard running experienced prop is just what we need to offset the youth of kasiano, Taupa??, Tolman ( still very young).

I read in one of the papers today ( I think it was the Telegragh) which speculated that WE will have $1m to spend next year on recruitments/ re-signings/ upgrades. That is a big chunk of money. Where does everyone think that money should be spent new 5/8, or utility would be myfirst priority + a solid outside back.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
yeh I agree with you there. We have potentially a great back row. Especially when you consider we are playing eastwood out of position at times. And with the likes of jackson, burr and finucane in the under 20s who should be pushing for first grade in the next 12-18 months. We might start to see our under 20s starts making an impact in first grade if they stick around.

Kasiano looks good as a replacement prop, as does taupau. And with graham and tolman combining for a rep front row. Eastwood and prichard a rep back row. Then the likes of stagg, payne, paea, millington, halatau, possibly finucane and jackson capable and in contention of the 3 remaining back row spots on the team. There is definitely class there and great depth. Will be one of the stronger packs on paper. But on paper never guarantees anything.
Living closeby to the Crest I have seen a number of NSW games this year.

I have always been a great admirier of Tapau.

Looking at his build and the way he covers and moves over the field I would like to see him being groomed more of a backrower than a prop.

If needed be, because of suspension, injury or whatever he could be used as a prop.

With Kasiano, Graham and Tolman along with Millington, Paea we seem to be well stocked with props.

And lets not forget Browne who is going to benefit bigtime with finally a season under his belt.

Same could be said for Foster who I have still have faith in. Looked like he lacked a bit of confidence.

A bloke called Stuart will instil passsion and confidence in players and team who are lacking it, Sooner the better Stuart signs and Barba will follow.

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lets get Alesana Tuilagi to come and fix our winger problem, maybe even play him in the 2nd row for some agression

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The telegraph said we have 1mill left on the cap...
Considering we do not resign any of the following: Andrew Ryan, Bryson Goodwin, Grant Millington, Mickey Paea, Chris Armit, Junior Tia-Kilifi, Michael Lett, Gary Warburton, Heka and Tim Browne (Which I am sure is contracted if not him Mahhana from sharks)
Personally I would use 100k to upgrade Jackson,Funican..
Dean Whare 120k from Manly
Drury Low or Bill Tupou 200
=570
with 430 left over!
I would try and sign a halfback as well..

Status
Not open for further replies.