Canterbury Bulldogs endure another disastrous Auckland Nines campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs endure another disastrous Auckland Nines campaign

CANTERBURY playmaker Josh Reynolds says frustrated Bulldogs fans must “look at the bigger picture” after another disastrous Auckland campaign has earned them the tag ‘Worst Nines Team Ever’.

On a controversial weekend for the Belmore club, Canterbury failed to win a game, head coach Des Hasler again boycotted Eden Park and the NRL threatened to withhold the team’s $110,000 appearance fee after Reynolds and NSW Origin forward Dave Klemmer sat out the entire opening day.

Angry fans also took aim on social media, not only slamming the club’s apparent apathy for Nines but questioning why they should take part in a Bulldog’s online auction of Nines jerseys when those belonging to the biggest names were barely worn.

“And I totally understand,’’ Reynolds said when quizzed on the frustration.

CASUALTY WARD: Who got hurt at the Auckland Nines?

Josh Reynolds gets a pass away against the Sharks on day two of the Auckland Nines at Eden Park. Picture: Mark Evans

“I’d hate to be at home with a Parramatta supporter sitting beside me, having them winning games when we’re not.

“I was a fan once, still am.

“So I understand they want to win. I want to win. There’s no one at the Bulldogs who wants to win more than me.

“But I just feel sometimes they have to sit back and look at the bigger picture.”

Following the NRL threat to strip them of cash, both Reynolds and Klemmer were used in Sunday’s loss against Cronulla — although the No. 6 was only on field for a total of nine minutes, 35 seconds.

Suffering their second winless event in three years, Canterbury now join St George Illawarra as the only clubs who have never made an Auckland Nines playoff game.

Yet while the Dragons still have a 33 per cent winning ratio, the Bulldogs own a paltry 25 per cent.

Matthew Evans scores a try for the Sharks against the Bulldogs.
Quizzed on Canterbury’s perceived lack of interest, Reynolds said it was more about having players prepared for the NRL season while also giving younger players a go.

He added that while he would’ve loved more minutes, players like he and Klemmer had to be saved from themselves.

“To Des’s credit, he knows we’re pretty competitive,’’ Reynolds laughed.

“Knows we’re not all there in the head.

“We’ve just played in a dead rubber game and I couldn’t even control myself in that.”

Malakai Houma of the Sharks is tackled by Lachlan Lewis of the Bulldogs.
But wouldn’t one of league’s most competitive men like to be winning?

“I’d love to be in the playoffs,’’ he added.

“But the way Des looks at it is giving the young guys a go.

“Which isn’t to say he doesn’t have interest in the Nines.

“I hate when people say we don’t send over a strong team. I look at these young guys and think they’re real strong players.

“Heaps of them will go on and play first grade ... but at this moment in time you have to get them in there somehow. I don’t think it is necessarily a bad thing.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...utm_source=TelegraphSport&utm_medium=Facebook

After reading these comments from JR I believe most of the playing group are beyond help and need to be replaced ASAP.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
"knows we’re not all there in the head.

“We’ve just played in a dead rubber game and I couldn’t even control myself in that.”
Quotes from a player that another article said might earn a million per year, just lol.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
“And I totally understand,’’ Reynolds said when quizzed on the frustration.

“So I understand they want to win. I want to win. There’s no one at the Bulldogs who wants to win more than me.

“But I just feel sometimes they have to sit back and look at the bigger picture.”

“I’d love to be in the playoffs,’’ he added.

“But the way Des looks at it is giving the young guys a go.

This reads as if whilst Josh was having the interview, Dessie was holding a gun to his head to ensure he gave Dessie a glowing review.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Way to go!!!! lets alienate even more fans
By rights that 100K fine should be paid from des salary.

Last edited:

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont you get $100,000 for winning the comp, now they give $110,000 for just showing up at the 9's...the NRL has lost it!

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
image.jpg
punchable

ˈpʌn(t)ʃəb(ə)l/
adjective
informal
  1. (of a person or their features) arousing intense annoyance or hostility.
    "he has an eminently punchable face"

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont you get $100,000 for winning the comp, now they give $110,000 for just showing up at the 9's...the NRL has lost it!
I think the NRL premiers get a lot more than that now.

With the 9s, the teams should be getting a decent pay for turning up. They are deriving income for the league, nines organisers and broadcasters. $110k isn't a lot in the grand scheme of running a footy club.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The nrl sure do hate us. 110k fine.. are u serious??? What a joke. We followed the rules. The rules were just poorly written for what the nrl want.. why not fine the panthers? They sent their nobodies and gould made it clear in the media that they had no interest in the 9s... only difference is their nobodies are quite obviously talented and our nobodies are quite clearly retarded

doggi3s

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Apparently des has made them believe they can walk on water too

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The nrl sure do hate us. 110k fine.. are u serious??? What a joke. We followed the rules. The rules were just poorly written for what the nrl want.. why not fine the panthers? They sent their nobodies and gould made it clear in the media that they had no interest in the 9s... only difference is their nobodies are quite obviously talented and our nobodies are quite clearly retarded
panthers, Raiders, Warriors among others sent as many Top Line players as we did, yet we are in the headlines. Even the Roosters were light on and they won it.
Doesnt matter the calibre of players you send its a different game obiously. Loo at the Broncs and Cowboys. They sent near on full strength sides and didnt make the final.

Last edited:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reynolds admitted in not so many words that des has disrespected the level of competition the nrl are expecting from the teams . They have very good grounds for threatening them with the same disdain .
The panthers and any other team that clearly shows poor effort should cop the same

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a set fine for not turning up at all?

If its stupidly high Maybe just send lower graders knowing the NRL won't pay the $110k appearance fee, saving the first graders from potential injuries. Also make it widely known to fans so they know what they're paying to see if they go.

Bulldog_NJ

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get the point about injuries and whatever, but at the same time, the club has an obligation to the fans and the game. Its a disgrace that we cant even compete in a single game. The club should let the fans know next year, not to turn up, because we are not going to have a go.

Des Hasler is the one that should get a fine, for treating the tournament and the fans with contempt, and not even bothering to turn up.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At the end of the Day all the Clubs pay big $$ for these athletes for the NRL Premiership not for 9's/All Star/Origins etc. They should be entitled to use these guys where they see fit.

Of course yeah it would be great if everyone could send every star player over there, at the end of the day its a business decision and the NRL shoud'nt be able to tell you what to do with your assets. Star gets injured in these games, your salary cap doesnt go won to accomodate another replacement. Maybe they should look into that if this is a "must do"....

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few comments in that article definitely the reporter has done some stalking on here

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
From memory:
$100k attendance payment
$330k for a finals appearance
$550k for winning it.

Total for winner can be like a million.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at the bigger picture and I see disappointment which us supporters will see next week in the trial, so sick of this team underperforming and they keep saying it's ok, the players don't respect Hasler or they would pull their finger out and even considering it was only the 9's u would think that the players who aren't in 1st grade would make an effort to get a spot in the 1st grade team but watching them play it looked like they couldn't give a shit, when Haslers underperforming team fails and they will because they have no pride in this great club then fuck him off and put every player on notice that they have until the end of the season to prove their worth if not then they can fuck off too, this coach and players have had too many chances already.
I would love to see the mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs smash this year and win the premiership but I can't see that happening, same players, same attitude and same hopeless coach and yes people will say Hasler got the dogs to 2 gf's but it's the Bulldogs and we expect to win gf's not run second so it's not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.