Canterbury Bulldogs coach Des Hasler rubbishes James Graham exit rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Des Hasler has poured cold water on suggestions skipper James Graham and Josh Reynolds are set to be squeezed out of Belmore.

The Bulldogs have been linked with several high-profile NRL players on the open market including James Tedesco, Aaron Woods, Kieran Foran and Cooper Cronk, leading to suggestions Graham and Reynolds could be moved on.

Graham is signed with the Bulldogs until the end of 2018, however, this week he said he was facing up to the reality that Woods' possible recruitment could lead to him being forced to find another club either next year or in 2019.

The 31-year-old Englishman says he understands why Hasler and CEO Raelene Castle would target Woods.

Tedesco and Woods poised to meet prospective rival coaches
Nofoaluma considers joining Moses at Eels
However, Hasler moved to assure fans that Graham would see out his contract.

When asked if Graham would stay put next year, Hasler quipped: "If the salary cap is $20 million we're a chance."

Staying in the kennel: James Graham.
He then said, "Of course he is."

It's been speculated that the off-contract Reynolds could be asked to find a new home with the possible arrival of Foran - who shares close ties with Hasler - and Cronk.

Reynolds and playmaking partner Moses Mbye have been criticised for not taking greater control of the team and the common knock on them is that they are both ball-runners rather than organisers.

A Cronk or Foran could provide the perfect foil for Mbye, who is signed until the end of 2020.

Yet Hasler said the Bulldogs were deep in negotiations with Reynolds and were attempting to convince him to stay.

"That's speculation, purely," Hasler said of speculation surrounding Reynolds' exit.

"Negotiations and discussions are quite fruitful.

"He's an important part (of the club)."

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Finally been saying this before don't know we're this talk about graham leaving next year came from and josh Reynolds should sign with us now the salary caps increasing and 3rd party deals will be made

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If you want to demoralise the team then get rid of graham. The guy is a leader on and off the field. And although his form has been down class is permanent. And he is a class player (showed it the last 2 weeks).

The club has made some errors in the last few years. But this one could be the worst. You should never get rid of your captain. We seem to be the only club that has done it. Dating back to price and then with Ennis, hokko and Pritchard. Seems like the only guarantee is the captain departing haha :p

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you want to demoralise the team then get rid of graham. The guy is a leader on and off the field. And although his form has been down class is permanent. And he is a class player (showed it the last 2 weeks).

The club has made some errors in the last few years. But this one could be the worst. You should never get rid of your captain. We seem to be the only club that has done it. Dating back to price and then with Ennis, hokko and Pritchard. Seems like the only guarantee is the captain departing haha :p
I totally agree. I was gutted when price left, and to make it worse he still had plenty of years of good footy left in him. Wasnt he averaging over 200m a game one year he played for the warriors?
Anyways, it would be a real shame to lose him. Reynolds too. Despite what some people say i think he is awesome. Not the most polished skillful player, but always gives it everything he has. Like the old saying says, 'a champion team is better then a team of champions', and reynolds is that kind of player you want on a champion team.

KelpiesHuskies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We need a proper organising half back and a proper fullback. This makeshift stuff we have been doing is simply not working. If that means buy Foran or Cronk and tedesco and Woods then that is what has to happen for us to be a chance of winning a competition.

Reactions: DT

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We'll sign no one and re-sign everyone. We have two and a half more years of the same team being selected and the same tactics so sit back and enjoy the ride everyone.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If this is indeed the future plan, then there is definitely positional changes coming.

Maybe Reynolds and Frawley, Mbye in hooker.

Tedesco at #1.

Lichaa released, Hoppa released.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I back reynolds to be our 5/8 if we can get a solid half next to him so he can just run the footy. Letting him and graham go would have a massive impact on the side theres no way the club would allow both of them to leave

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
like I keep saying..... we will have the same shit squad next year..... we will not sign a single established player and the Des cult on here will still be attacking anyone who has enough sense to see through the bullshit

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
nasheed here,
This begs the question,

If graham isnt moving....then who is?

The kennel started this rumour as a logical reaction to all this Woods signing rubbish.

Eastwoods?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I wish the fraud re-signing for 2 years was a rubbish rumour...

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
like I keep saying..... we will have the same shit squad next year..... we will not sign a single established player and the Des cult on here will still be attacking anyone who has enough sense to see through the bullshit
Blah blah blah blah blah blah oh sorry, were you talking?? I was just reciting my cult chant!!!!

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I haven't exactly followed how this rumor would work anyway (not saying its not possible, just hard to see how it could be done in anything but a bad way) Graham is pretty widely reported to be on a back ended contract, which makes sense if your counting on increasing caps making that more manageable, but that would mean his highest paid year would be next year.

How do we move him under contract to another team, hopefully not have to pay any, or to much of that last years money, while at the same time buying another player on similar money? What would be the point when we clearly can find guys for similar roles pretty much every year that are earning something between minimum wage, and not much above minimum?

A good prop is worth paying for, but paying to let a good prop go, so we can also pay to get another prop who is probably not quite as good overall...... doesn't sound like the best plan I've ever heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.