Canterbury Bulldogs Brett Morris fights for No.1 jersey after serious knee surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hoppa will be the new Trex. Hasler will slot him straight in and he wont be dropped, irrespective of his performance.
Dogs have bought the most exciting fullback in the NRL in Abbey and he must start at fullback.
****ing lol @ "the most exciting fullback in the NRL" hahaha. Not even the most exciting fullback in the NYC ffs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who do you consider to be the best option at Fullback next year?
Hoppa...but thats banking on him returning to his manly form. He was always great when he covered at fb..but if he flops then **** knows who goes there

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Everyone saying abbey at 1 is crazy he is not ready and putting him in too early will ruin his confidence ,a year in nsw cup like des did with barba is perfect

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone saying abbey at 1 is crazy he is not ready and putting him in too early will ruin his confidence ,a year in nsw cup like des did with barba is perfect
Lol @ people thinking Abbey is ready for first grade,

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Des didn't play Barba in NSW cup, that was Moore..but yh i agree, Abbey must start at 1 in NSW cup, it is a waste to keep him in the NYC but he is no where near firstgrade.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think it matters too much if your Fullback can't pass or slot into an outside playmaking role, provided he is dynamic in another way and for that reason I think Morris or Holland are probably the way to go, if we want the playmaking Fullback then it has to be Mbye - won't happen I know, just think out loud

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
abbey needs to go through the proper channels. give him some time in premiers and then slowly in first grade i.e origin, injuries, bench...

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa training the house down ... Lol he's only been there 5 mins what else is he going to do. When u start at a new club ud hope to put ur best foot forward.
Like I said I'll warm to hoppa no doubt, I just can't stand a hoppa and perret right hand combo outside Reynolds !!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't think it matters too much if your Fullback can't pass or slot into an outside playmaking role, provided he is dynamic in another way and for that reason I think Morris or Holland are probably the way to go, if we want the playmaking Fullback then it has to be Mbye - won't happen I know, just think out loud
Can't agree with that at all. A fullback these days needs to fill in a number of different roles and needs to be a jack of all trades type player while also excelling in key areas. Without that you are extremely limiting your chances in attack. Look at the difference Coote made out the back for the cowboys in a side that fields arguably the best half to ever play the game.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't agree with that at all. A fullback these days needs to fill in a number of different roles and needs to be a jack of all trades type player while also excelling in key areas. Without that you are extremely limiting your chances in attack. Look at the difference Coote made out the back for the cowboys in a side that fields arguably the best half to ever play the game.
I think that's the trap a lot of people fall into, that a position needs to function in a certain way or cover a definitive role - the game is in constant evolution with coaches always trying to figure out how to outsmart the opposition, the one rule of thumb is "always play to the strengths."

Unfortunately we don't have a playmaking Fullback who is ready other than Mbye's potential and history in juniors.

As for the argument of Coote, I would simply say the likes of Tedesco, Munster, RTS, Inglis, Stewart and Slater are run first, pass second Fullbacks.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think that's the trap a lot of people fall into, that a position needs to function in a certain way or cover a definitive role - the game is in constant evolution with coaches always trying to figure out how to outsmart the opposition, the one rule of thumb is "always play to the strengths."

Unfortunately we don't have a playmaking Fullback who is ready other than Mbye's potential and history in juniors.

As for the argument of Coote, I would simply say the likes of Tedesco, Munster, RTS, Inglis, Stewart and Slater are run first, pass second Fullbacks.
How the hell are those fullbacks are counter argument for Coote? Lol. They all fit my exact description in the previous post. Coote clearly belongs with that lot yet you have left him out. It is clear that you are the one that has fallen into the trap and not me. You talk about the evolution of the game yet are still talking about a "playmaking fullback or "running fullback"...we are past that stage.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How the hell are those fullbacks are counter argument for Coote? Lol. They all fit my exact description in the previous post. Coote clearly belongs with that lot yet you have left him out. It is clear that you are the one that has fallen into the trap and not me. You talk about the evolution of the game yet are still talking about a "playmaking fullback or "running fullback"...we are past that stage.
Sorry, I misread your post.

My point is basically we are better off having Morris there as the more dynamic ball runner and broken field player then Hopoate (someone who offers very limited attack), yeah he doesn't have the passing and kicking game of some of the others but he offers some pretty phenomenal ball running and support play, plus he now has the first season under his belt and no obvious replacement, other than Holland who would play a similar style or Mbye to replicate the current trend

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
good on ya des. even i saw this coming, and im just a niff nuff.

5 years ago, yeah bmoz wouldve easily made the transition.... but its too late now imo.

good luck in 2016 bmoz.
So did I and so am I G.M.

Its just great. The Mozzles, the two most explosive backs we've got have both got knee problems, and it doesn't matter how good you are you can't run on one leg.

Then we've got Hoppa. Is he still carrying a groin injury or not? On top of that we've got Sammy P at blistering wheelchair pace on the right wing with Curtis Rona on the left.

We've also got a big problem now with Curtis. He can only play one position at a time. Dammit!

All of a sudden 2016 looks worse than I thought it would be.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bmoz is done at fullback. The origin period hasn't helped the Morris twins at all, they basically play injured the whole time that's why they are stuffed now. I hope they can get back to their best.

Club > Origin.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bmoz is done at fullback. The origin period hasn't helped the Morris twins at all, they basically play injured the whole time that's why they are stuffed now. I hope they can get back to their best.

Club > Origin.
I couldn't agree more. What I can see happening is Tim Lafai reinventing the 2014 version and making Hoppa and/or JMoz look like hasbeens.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I misread your post.

My point is basically we are better off having Morris there as the more dynamic ball runner and broken field player then Hopoate (someone who offers very limited attack), yeah he doesn't have the passing and kicking game of some of the others but he offers some pretty phenomenal ball running and support play, plus he now has the first season under his belt and no obvious replacement, other than Holland who would play a similar style or Mbye to replicate the current trend
Well said although I have a feeling borris will end up back on the wing and Hoppa will take the #1 as a means for preserving borris. We can only wait for the next generation in abbey to be ready for the gig

Status
Not open for further replies.