1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

News Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs to host Canberra Raiders in 2020 NRL pre-season trial in Port Macquari

Discussion in 'Bulldogs Discussion' started by Spoonman84, Feb 11, 2020.

1. TwinTurbo

TwinTurbo Kennel Enthusiast Gilded

Oh FFS, I could probably put up 10/20/30 videos of Tolman being passed the ball when he was not in the line, standing still, running a decoy, or having just made a hit up, played the ball, pushing forward and was then passed it again. With Lichaa thankfully gone and this decreasing noticeably last season, so a lot of the "Tolman on the 4th" is a left over from those days. Let's see how it progresses this season. In the games Foran played last year I noticed a substantial reduction in what I call senseless hit ups, settlers, whatever tackle they were on. If there is someone decent steering the team around the park then Tolman shouldn't be getting the ball on the 4th.

FWIW I played for 13 years, up to third grade until the knees gave out. Which doesn't make me any more or less of a fan than anyone else.

Go Dogs

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Kennel Immortal

If tolman went on the market today, there’d be crickets and tumbleweeds at the auction. So it’s not just people on here, that don’t rate him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TwinTurbo

Certain types of wrestling "holds" have been banned (eg; chicken wings) but the concept of wrestling is still very much in the forefront of any teams defence. Get 3 or 4 in the tackle, roll the player onto his back and then peel off one by one, which makes a huge difference in the play the ball speed. Peeling is supposed to be banned too, but I can't recall a penalty being issued for it even though it happens almost every second tackle. Melbourne are the masters at it, it's infuriating to watch, my main reason for disliking them and their coach.

Go Dogs

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  4. GDR

GDR Super Moderator Staff Member Gilded x2 Premium Member

did you ever play with hogs and were they annoying ?

5. TwinTurbo

I avoided passing to the hogs, unless they were that good of course. We all knew who they were and they were ostracised.

Go Dogs

• Like Like x 1
  6. speedy2460

speedy2460 Kennel Enthusiast

I think every good coach will agree that attack comes when the forwards get the defence right.

7. GDR

GDR Super Moderator Staff Member Gilded x2 Premium Member

Defence can certainly "assist" with attack.. but attack certainly does not always necessarily "come" from good defence.

so no, only dumb coaches will have that prehistoric mentality.. Modern day coaches need to devise intelligent strategic attack plans to get around regimented brick wall defences..

how does defence matter when you are camped in the opposition 20 metre zone for set after set and you cant manage to score because you do dumb one out hit ups ?

8. Natboy II

Natboy II Kennel Enthusiast

Des would be there holding his auction card firmly above his head

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. liljohny

liljohny Kennel Regular

I doubt that. He would get a start at another nrl club.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bad Billy

Yea, like they were lining up, when he was shopping himself around, a couple of seasons ago ?

11. Bad Billy

He just doesn’t want his son to feel bad.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. GrogDog

GrogDog bad attitude

Based on how we have started the last 2 years we need to look at our trials differently to what we did in those games. Pay needs to treat these as a round 1 game and put the side and combo's on that he wants to use for the start of the season. That crap last year of first half putting a realistic side on who played awesome and then resting them for the second obviously didn't achieve a thing. Pay should know by this stage pretty much what his Round 1 team will be and should play that team in both trials. We MUST hit the ground running at the start of the season and buck the trends of the previous 2. Give the upcoming guys 10mins here and there but we should be dead serious about these trials. Let everyone have fun with the 9's.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bazildog

Bazildog Kennel Regular

I don’t think Tolman is a “glory” hog. I think he is just one of those players that wants to be involved all the time.

It’s rubbish to say “where is he supposed to go” or how can he get out of the way. You dont see wingers standing in the middle of the ruck to tackle front rowers. Or front towers on the end of a back line.

An experienced footballer like him should get out of the back lines way on 4, 5 or 6 unless it’s a set play that he has a role.

That said it’s my only beef with him and think he is still very valuable in the side because of his motor and the 1% plays he regularly comes up with. He might not attract huge money from other clubs but I will bet plenty of coaches would still have him for $300-400k for what he brings to a team.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. liljohny

liljohny Kennel Regular

Your clutching at straws champ

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bad Billy

Why?
    Are you denying that happened ?

16. liljohny

liljohny Kennel Regular

Present your evidence

17. Bad Billy

Haha.
    Internet. Look it up yourself.
    Im not your secretary.

18. no1bulldog

no1bulldog Kennel Addict Gilded

Why do we always play the raiders in trials....won’t anyone else play with us???

19. liljohny

liljohny Kennel Regular

You make a good pinocchio billy boy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Natboy II

Natboy II Kennel Enthusiast

A lot of clubs have always had an agreements to play each other in trials. It’s gone on for a very long time