Can't Kick, Can't Manage- SOS For a 7&9

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What was the rush to re-sign JMK on a 3 year contract earlier this year? The ONLY thing he can do is tackle and that's a huge problem when you're in the spine.
Mate that’s what the fuck I’m trying to say. This dean pay has made some horrible recruiting decisions. We’re all thinking he can pick youngsters?

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
There is more chance of me waking up tomorrow with a 12 inch penis than Clearly coming to the Dogs. Why would he come?
We are a rabble.
Time to circle the wagons, work on the squad and bring on some young blokes with promise.
Buying big name players doesn't work for us.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the last 4 seasons blind Freddy can see what we've been missing that's keeping us from being a contender, yet our recruitment team hasn't.
I hate to be stating the obvious, but we have the worst kicking game coupled by the worst game management in the NRL.
In my opinion, the two most important components in fixing this issue are your 7 & 9.

I am hopeful that the new hierarchy has targeted this as priority one and is the reason for moving on players earning more than their worth.
The biggest issue is that this type of player is rare and not always off contract. The club has already stated that it's going to take at least 2 years to rebuild and therefore I believe they are looking at off contract players in 2019, 2020 and beyond .

I could be wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Pay wants Seizer next year. He is off contract and still hasn't re signed with Canberra.
Although solid, he is not always consistent and goes missing in some games.His strengths are his kicking game and goal kicking, but is that enough and/or can he further develop.

Personally, I would wait until 2020 and go all out for Nathan Cleary. The kid has it all. It makes me question why we didn't nab his dad as coach which would have made it easier.
Truth is, Panthers or Roosters will most likely wrap him up before we even get a sniff, that is unless heaven forbid Uncle Nick carc's it before then.
Anyways, we need a great 7 followed by a great 9 before we even think about being a contender again.
If we cant buy any in the next 2 years, then the wait will be longer as we will have to develop them.
So - 7 & 9, where do we go from here.
I was very surprised we didn't make a play for Melony when he was of contract with the sharks and then Tedesco and even more surprised when we let Cook & Reynolds go. Now I know why, I'm convinced they would all be at our club if the Bullfrog was still around, Imagine the team we could have had. We would have all those premierships that we've been promised.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
For the last 4 seasons blind Freddy can see what we've been missing that's keeping us from being a contender, yet our recruitment team hasn't.
I hate to be stating the obvious, but we have the worst kicking game coupled by the worst game management in the NRL.
In my opinion, the two most important components in fixing this issue are your 7 & 9.

I am hopeful that the new hierarchy has targeted this as priority one and is the reason for moving on players earning more than their worth.
The biggest issue is that this type of player is rare and not always off contract. The club has already stated that it's going to take at least 2 years to rebuild and therefore I believe they are looking at off contract players in 2019, 2020 and beyond .

I could be wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion that Pay wants Seizer next year. He is off contract and still hasn't re signed with Canberra.
Although solid, he is not always consistent and goes missing in some games.His strengths are his kicking game and goal kicking, but is that enough and/or can he further develop.

Personally, I would wait until 2020 and go all out for Nathan Cleary. The kid has it all. It makes me question why we didn't nab his dad as coach which would have made it easier.
Truth is, Panthers or Roosters will most likely wrap him up before we even get a sniff, that is unless heaven forbid Uncle Nick carc's it before then.
Anyways, we need a great 7 followed by a great 9 before we even think about being a contender again.
If we cant buy any in the next 2 years, then the wait will be longer as we will have to develop them.
So - 7 & 9, where do we go from here.
There is no chance of us getting Nathan Cleary. Fullstop. He stays with the Panthers or goes with his old man. That's his only choices. it's almost as if everyone on here thinks that Pay and all the others are like the boy in the bubble, just sitting there breathing and having food shoved down a tube. These blokes spend 20 hours a day looking for ways to win, players that might fit what we are trying to do, coercing managers to move their charges from other clubs to us, oh and doing a bit of coaching along the way.

Sezer may or may not come over to us. I don't see him as an answer, just an improvement. The next gun half we have will come through our junior system and we will have a shot at him first. There aren't any more Cronks floating around that have the runs on the board and want to move. Its just a fact of life. Tigers have brookes, Titans have Taylor/Brimson, Storm have theirs locked away. Penrith have Cleary/Maloney/May. We are probably going to war with the Sharks over the next available half. All the other teams seem to be doing OK in that dept and they have a fair war chest, we don't.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When was the last time the club ever made moves like that? Those are the types of moves Penrith makes not the Bulldogs. We sign reserve graders like Holland and JMK and then wonder why they aren’t world beaters?
Our club is so fucking stupid. Hell id take both Mason Lino and Brodie Croft in a heartbeat. Both very young with great kicking games. And most importantly both are very realistic chances of being signed as they have no chance of playing nrl on weekly basis at there current club. Im sure if we make them a decent offer at least one of them will come. Id prefer Lino but wont say no to Croft.

Kennelnator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleary will end up at the Roosters with his old man just in time when Cronk retires and Robinson is off contract.

We are fucken doomed with Foran and there is fuck all halves available. There is Sezer who would only be an improvement but no premiership material.

Dont know what happened with the progress of Kane Elgey who was quite good when he first came into grade.

If we are looking at recruiting young players, dont know why we havent had a crack at Ryle Jacks who is off contract and is currently above Brodie Croft at the Storm

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Klemmer Jacko RFM doing their thing we only need 14 new players

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our club is so fucking stupid. Hell id take both Mason Lino and Brodie Croft in a heartbeat. Both very young with great kicking games. And most importantly both are very realistic chances of being signed as they have no chance of playing nrl on weekly basis at there current club. Im sure if we make them a decent offer at least one of them will come. Id prefer Lino but wont say no to Croft.
Croft lost the starting job more than Jacks beating him to it. I can see Croft getting another shot at the Storm if he works hard on his game so doubt he leaves just yet.
Lino should have been bought last season really. His pathway to first grade is blocked and he ticks a lot of boxes for us.
It's frustrating as fans watching rubbish players wear our jersey and no respite to these poor performances in sight. This might not be a popular view but I would rather we promote our NSW Cup or Flegg players than recruiting nobodies from other clubs. It's definitely cheaper and then we have more money to try and land marquee players(we can afford).

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve said this before I honestly think that sezer will end up at the dogs next season. He isn’t signed and had always wanted to come back. I’ll agree he isn’t the answer but we need a half with experience and isn’t broken (Foran). In saying that he’ll take a whole lot of pressure off Foran with his decent kicking game. The only halves available now are sezer, Austin and Norman (on the outer). If cogger does do well when he comes over I think sezer would still have much to offer along side him. Almost 95% on this forum know that Foran isn’t going to last he’s full contract with the way he’s body’s going, we need a playmaker to steer the ship ! Too many times this year we’ve had the chances to close it out but haven’t.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the biggest problem. When you think about it, in the modern NRL, your strength should not be your forward pack.
Let me explain, since the introduction of the 10 metre rule, it is not the main priority to have great forwards to get you into a position in the oppositions red zone.
This is because as i said, the 10 metre rule, block plays/spreading it out wide gets you easy metres.
Notice how on at least 90% completed sets, all teams are in a position to put up an attacking kick from around 30-40 metres out? This is for the vast majoroty of teams.

It is not as if teams that have far far superior forward packs are steam rolling oppositions and getting into the opposition red zones on almost every set.

The problem is not getting there, especially with the whistle happy refs these days. Most teams do get to the opposition red zone consistently.

The issue with what seperates teams is creativity, smarts. This is where we badly fail.

Melbourne had the perfect model. Put a big chunk of your cap on the spine. The creativity, smarts.

We are essentially the opposite.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Croft lost the starting job more than Jacks beating him to it. I can see Croft getting another shot at the Storm if he works hard on his game so doubt he leaves just yet.
Lino should have been bought last season really. His pathway to first grade is blocked and he ticks a lot of boxes for us.
It's frustrating as fans watching rubbish players wear our jersey and no respite to these poor performances in sight. This might not be a popular view but I would rather we promote our NSW Cup or Flegg players than recruiting nobodies from other clubs. It's definitely cheaper and then we have more money to try and land marquee players(we can afford).
Croft is basically a Cronk clone, struggled at the start of the year and didn't live up the hype from last season. No way Bellamy would cut him loose at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.