Can we all get on the same page

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
FFS! Why even bother.
So no one is allowed to be excited for 2024 because it’s positive, let’s all be depressed until the haters are happy.
No I just mean people write things like “can’t wait until the gus haters get here” etc already clogging the thread up before anyone arrives haha

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Stay positive mate, don’t let the naysayers kill your passion ..

Support the Club, management, and the team in the bad times and you’ll be deserving of the good times ..
I can’t wait for us to be on top again. Still a long way to go in this decade to get one before we hit Parras level

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can’t wait for us to be on top again. Still a long way to go in this decade to get one before we hit Parras level
I feel the way they’re rebuilding from the bottom up, they’re not thinking in one’s ..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I feel the way they’re rebuilding from the bottom up, they’re not thinking in one’s ..
When we finally are good and full of juniors backing up in reserve grade I hope we get 2-3 years together before they get bought off us. Watch the new team come in the minute we get good haha

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
When we finally are good and full of juniors backing up in reserve grade I hope we get 2-3 years together before they get bought off us. Watch the new team come in the minute we get good haha
None of em are going to live in PNGthough fortunately lol

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in the day I use to be fearful when there was news one of our star players were being pinched … but the next player would step up and it was business as usual, need to get back to that level ..

We were doing what the Panthers are doing now back when the Panthers could only wish they were us, then the Salary Cap scandal stuffed it all up, we would have won more premierships if it wasn’t for that monumental stuff up ..

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Back in the day I use to be fearful when there was news one of our star players were being pinched … but the next player would step up and it was business as usual, need to get back to that level ..

We were doing what the Panthers are doing now back when the Panthers could only wish they were us, then the Salary Cap scandal stuffed it all up, we would have won more premierships if it wasn’t for that monumental stuff up ..
We also picked out really good players who suited our system from other clubs to fill the holes (Ryan, Tonga) we need an identity right now

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No I just mean people write things like “can’t wait until the gus haters get here” etc already clogging the thread up before anyone arrives haha
Beats me why so many tag the "downers" and further exacerbate the problem of us all seeing negative Bulldogs talk which keeps the bs front and centre when all the majority want is informative footy talk.
I’m sure a few of them wouldn’t mind jumping off the wooden tower though
vanuatu_0801.jpg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We also picked out really good players who suited our system from other clubs to fill the holes (Ryan, Tonga) we need an identity right now
Yeah, I note the Panthers still pick up some from other clubs the same as we did ..

The identity will come, CC had to remove Barrett’s over priced impulse buys first, shame he’s dealing with a tight market ..

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Really looking forward to this year and confident we will improve in alot of areas

Our backline has plenty of depth and options and we will have plenty of attack out wide

For starters, at fullback we are already talking about who will be our fullback out of Crichton, Tracey or Taaffe and all 3 are miles ahead of Perham who was our fullback for 18 odd rounds last year and added absolutely nothing to our side. Whoever CC picks at fullback, will make us stronger than last year

Sexton and Burton have a chance to really establish themselves this year. I think Sexton will surprise alot of people this year and if not, at least we have experienced depth with Hutchison...and again that puts us way in front of last years clusterfuck in the halves

Backrow looks like our strength with Kikau and Preston and I think Curren will prove to be a gun

At hooker Mahoney has alot of improvement in him and has potential to be one of the top hookers in the NRL, and again an experienced backup in Turpin makes us stronger

Front row looks to be the obvious weakness and if Gus can't wheel and deal another prop for this year, then lets back the guys we have got as they all have an opportunity to really establish themselves

King was playing busted for half the season so he should be stronger this year. Knight has the chance to step up and grab a starting spot. Patolo has probably his last chance to finally prove himself and if Sam Hughes can have a breakout year like Preston did last year, we won't be half as worried about the prop position going forward

Big opportunities for all these guys as well as Kautoga and Faaumasili to establish themselves and Ryan Sutton has the capacity to improve

All in all I think we are in a much stronger position than last year and I can't wait for the season to start

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really looking forward to this year and confident we will improve in alot of areas

Our backline has plenty of depth and options and we will have plenty of attack out wide

For starters, at fullback we are already talking about who will be our fullback out of Crichton, Tracey or Taaffe and all 3 are miles ahead of Perham who was our fullback for 18 odd rounds last year and added absolutely nothing to our side. Whoever CC picks at fullback, will make us stronger than last year

Sexton and Burton have a chance to really establish themselves this year. I think Sexton will surprise alot of people this year and if not, at least we have experienced depth with Hutchison...and again that puts us way in front of last years clusterfuck in the halves

Backrow looks like our strength with Kikau and Preston and I think Curren will prove to be a gun

At hooker Mahoney has alot of improvement in him and has potential to be one of the top hookers in the NRL, and again an experienced backup in Turpin makes us stronger

Front row looks to be the obvious weakness and if Gus can't wheel and deal another prop for this year, then lets back the guys we have got as they all have an opportunity to really establish themselves

King was playing busted for half the season so he should be stronger this year. Knight has the chance to step up and grab a starting spot. Patolo has probably his last chance to finally prove himself and if Sam Hughes can have a breakout year like Preston did last year, we won't be half as worried about the prop position going forward

Big opportunities for all these guys as well as Kautoga and Faaumasili to establish themselves and Ryan Sutton has the capacity to improve

All in all I think we are in a much stronger position than last year and I can't wait for the season to start
Good summary, more than fair for the detail you went into.

It is beyond reasonable expectation for us to suddenly make the 8 (though that won't stop most of us deep down hoping for a miracle). But what we always have is supporting the team, and with all the changes that have happened to the squad, it will be very interesting to see how it translates on the field. Get on for the ride.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll reserve judgement when I watch the trials.

Unlike others, I have a good eye for spotting change or improvement. The trials are sufficient for me to determine how we'll go.

Personally, I have reservations about the season ahead. Too much uncertainty in the spine for mine.

But like every season, you wait and see what they dish out and blindly support them every week, even if you know the writing is on the wall.

So bring on the trials and let's see if there is anything to look forward to.

Last edited:

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Other than the Panthers and Melbourne I think you are overrating the other's Spines considerably (the grass is greener syndrome?);

Donkeys - Reynolds another year older at 34 this season, Mam by far the worst defender in the NRL, Walsh hardly any better defender than Mam just plays in a position where he doesn't get exposed as much and Walters, he's due for 2nd year syndrome like Mam. Their cards will be heavily marked by the opposition coaches. Mam also loses his protection in Flegler, Farnworth and Palasia.

Cronulla - I don't rate Tindall at halfback, Hynes is generally good but has lapses, drifts in and out of games, Kennedy again goes OK but nothing special, BBrailey is competent but hasn't really kicked on like most expected.

Chooks - Tedesco not aging well, tries too hard to do it on his own, has turned into a ball hog, Walker, FMD almost as bad a defender as Mam, Keary does anyone really rate him that highly, BSmith hasn't he been a flop so far playing 100% hooker, maybe he'll turn it around this season.

Warriors - RTS was a great player but how will he come back from Onion, turning 31 this season, bit of a question mark, Johnson turning 34 this season who the fark knows which Johnson will turn up the 2002 version or the 2023 version, who's gunna play 5/8 Martin or Metcalf, both are average at best, Egan or Lussick at hooker are both also average.

Melbourne - probably 2nd to Penrith in the spine rankings, Papenhuyzen is an injury risk, Munster had a very average NRL season last year (Burton's stats shat all over him), Hughes is quality and Grant is top level.

Knoughts - Ponga is quality, when he's on which is often, Gamble at 5/8 is very average, Hasting or Cogger I rate neither of them, both average NRL players, JBrailey, the lesser of the bros, does OK but nothing outstanding.

Souffs - Mitchell on his day one of the best but who the fark knows when those days will be, Walker as enigmatic as they come, Ilias maybe will go OK but maybe not, Cook we all know his capability turns 33 during the season and isn't getting any better.

On a player by player basis (Crichton, Burton, Taaffe and Mahoney) our spine doesn't look that bad, there are plenty worse.

Always a Bulldog
I stopped reading after you rubbished the Broncos.

Seriously, pull your head in.
They were a whisker from the premiership and about to beat the best team of the last 5 years. They can score at will and you have rubbished their spine.

All credibility lost in that 1 post.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I must admit, you've lifted my spirits and hopes with that post.

Just need to see if it eventuates now.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good post mate, well said ..

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped reading after you rubbished the Broncos.

Seriously, pull your head in.
They were a whisker from the premiership and about to beat the best team of the last 5 years. They can score at will and you have rubbished their spine.

All credibility lost in that 1 post.
Talking up Palasia lol. And since when do prop forwards cover the halves in defence. Second rowers and centres yes maybe but not props

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Talking up Palasia lol. And since when do prop forwards cover the halves in defence. Second rowers and centres yes maybe but not props
Look at the way he criticises players that are far superior to ours, it honestly nuts that he thinks we're anywhere close to them lol.