Can Todd Payten coach? I haven't seen much

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can Todd Payten coach? I haven't seen much in 2021, cowboys look no good on the field. They can't defend.

He goes out and publicly slags his best player taumalolo, what's that?

As a player he want the best, average forward playing for the tigers. Never considered for a rep game

Last year when storm smashed the warriors he was sitting in the corner with his head down whilst Craig Bellamy and Cameron Smith addressed his group.

Warriors playing ok under Nathan brown.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He needs time before we can say for sure but at this stage it doesn't look like it. Calling out Lolo was absurd. If they keep going like this the rest of the year, then he'll be fired.

And please don't anyone compare his situation to Barrett's. The Cowboys still have rep players all throughout their squad and have far more talent in their squad right now than we do.

Malla

Reaction score
He can definitely coach. I think he's dealing with a shitty situation in Cowboys. Lolo doesn't train or play as hard enough as you would expect from a million dollar player. Valentines Holmes wants to play fullback (and was signed as a fullback) but clearly that is not his best position. Jordan McLean is getting paid overs and plays like Ogden. Michael Morgan injuries as well and Clifford just has not been able to kick on, partly due to having different halves partners every other week.

I get where Payton is coming from when he puts Lolo on blast like that. I just wonder if they're gonna back Payten or Lolo when shit hits the fan.

Malla

Reaction score
He needs time before we can say for sure but at this stage it doesn't look like it. Calling out Lolo was absurd. If they keep going like this the rest of the year, then he'll be fired.

And please don't anyone compare his situation to Barrett's. The Cowboys still have rep players all throughout their squad and have far more talent in their squad right now than we do.
I think he had every right to. As a coach, you look to your franchise players to set the example. If Lolo is having a bludge at training and in games then he deserves it.

I agree with you and don't think him and Baz should be compared, but theres a few players grossly overpaid at Cowboys that will impact their ability to built a finals team for years to come.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can definitely coach. I think he's dealing with a shitty situation in Cowboys. Lolo doesn't train or play as hard enough as you would expect from a million dollar player. Valentines Holmes wants to play fullback (and was signed as a fullback) but clearly that is not his best position. Jordan McLean is getting paid overs and plays like Ogden. Michael Morgan injuries as well and Clifford just has not been able to kick on, partly due to having different halves partners every other week.

I get where Payton is coming from when he puts Lolo on blast like that. I just wonder if they're gonna back Payten or Lolo when shit hits the fan.
I agree. Payten inherited a leaking bucket of shit with a cap out of whack and marqee players delivering plod. Much like Barrett he needs time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think he had every right to. As a coach, you look to your franchise players to set the example. If Lolo is having a bludge at training and in games then he deserves it.

I agree with you and don't think him and Baz should be compared, but theres a few players grossly overpaid at Cowboys that will impact their ability to built a finals team for years to come.
Yeah but he's been there for one minute and he could have said the same things privately. Lolo has been an animal for them every season and produced more than any other forward in the comp so it made no sense to call him out of all people.

You have to earn that right once you earn the trust of the playing group. Doing it publicly just brings more unwanted media attention and speculation and risks causing friction in the club. To me it was a rookie mistake by Payten that will come back to haunt him.

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah but he's been there for one minute and he could have said the same things privately. Lolo has been an animal for them every season and produced more than any other forward in the comp so it made no sense to call him out of all people.

You have to earn that right once you earn the trust of the playing group. Doing it publicly just brings more unwanted media attention and speculation and risks causing friction in the club. To me it was a rookie mistake by Payten that will come back to haunt him.
Him being there for one minute is irrelevant. He’s the head coach and he’s responsible for this team. Do you expect him to sit back and let Lolo be a fat lazy flog for the first year until he settles in? We can’t say he hasn’t already had the discussion with him in private but for me I love the fact he called him out in the presser. We need more of that in the game - too many times you see coaches blaming everything and anyone except their players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Him being there for one minute is irrelevant. He’s the head coach and he’s responsible for this team. Do you expect him to sit back and let Lolo be a fat lazy flog for the first year until he settles in? We can’t say he hasn’t already had the discussion with him in private but for me I love the fact he called him out in the presser. We need more of that in the game - too many times you see coaches blaming everything and anyone except their players.
How is Lolo a fat lazy fuck though? He makes like 200 plus metres a game most games and has single handedly carried that team for seasons.

Malla

Reaction score
How is Lolo a fat lazy fuck though? He makes like 200 plus metres a game most games and has single handedly carried that team for seasons.
Did you watch him in round 1? He was abysmal. Looks like he's been eating jam donuts all off season. I assuming he trained like absolute shit in the off season as well judging by Paytons comments.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Did you watch him in round 1? He was abysmal. Looks like he's been eating jam donuts all off season. I assuming he trained like absolute shit in the off season as well judging by Paytons comments.
Haha. Nah I didn't see that game. You might be right that he's out of shape, but the old school coaching way of calling players out publicly has a different affect on the player and team then it used to.

At the end of the day Lolo is a top 3 forward in the comp who they're lucky to have. Clubs would be queuing up to sign him if he hit the market.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Payten was a contender for coach of the year last year with the job he did at the Warriors. They were gone before he took over and he almost got them into the 8. The Cowboys roster and salary cap probably has more problems than ours does (you take our Taumalolo and they don't have much left).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I disagree that Nth Qld have no talent.

Lolo, Robson, Cotter, Holmes, Molo and then you have McGuire and Hess who are overrated but still FGers.. Most of those are better than almost everyone at our club this season.

Plus they have youngsters with potential in Hammer, Leumelu, Hola, Wright, Dunn etc..

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Agree needs time. Got the warriors pumping in extreme circumstances so he has it
But he kind of reminds me when ur work hires a lower level manager and he comes in all guns blazing with an agenda but executed poorly and puts everyone off side atm

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think if Todd Payten could coach he would at least have them defending half decent. To let in 46 points at home to the gold coast?

Sure early in season and attack can be clunky but defense, no excuse

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We are not in a position to throw stones champ

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know where the Morgan medical retirement news came from. Payten says he's a chance of playing next week and they haven't explored a medical retirement.