Can someone explain to me

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well tell anyone apart from her own family that actually like her and the rest of her bloodline LOL

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Prolly old team mates

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Gus should be thankful the dogs have him a start as coach. Who knows where he'd be if he didn't get to coach the great dogs side he inherited

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Gus won us a comp in 1988 as a young (approx 30) first year, first grade coach. Within 12 months he was speared for Opes to take over as head coach from 1990 onwards. According to some, he’s held that grudge for 30 years but to others he let it go years ago. Depends who you believe...

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus won us a comp in 1988 as a young (approx 30) first year, first grade coach. Within 12 months he was speared for Opes to take over as head coach from 1990 onwards. According to some, he’s held that grudge for 30 years but to others he let it go years ago. Depends who you believe...
I reckon he's let it go. He's spoken highly of the club the past few years when we've been in this ditch.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon he's let it go. He's spoken highly of the club the past few years when we've been in this ditch.
The club yes, the Anderson/Moore clan no. But again, depends on who you believe. Agree he should’ve let it go given other successes he had after leaving the Dogs.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s one year after winning in his first year of coaching Replaced by Bullfrogs daughters husband.

I remember Gus having issues with Gillespie taking his spot in the team in his last year playing for the Dogs also

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me the history between Phil Gould and the Andersons?

I keep hearing there is bad blood.

What exactly happened?
Chris Anderson and Gus were teammates at the Dogs during the 80's. Chris was a Origin and Test player and Gus was a ball playing forward borderline starter/bench/sometimes reserve grader. Chris married Peter Moore's daughter Lynn. After retiring he went to UK rugby league and became a successful captain-coach winning some titles. Gus became coach of the Dogs after Warren Ryan left to Balmain and won a premiership in his first year in 88. However he was only keeping the chair warm for Anderson as Bullfrog wanted his son in law to soon take over. Gus left in 90 to coach Penrith and Anderson became head coach so there's been rumours ever since that Gus was upset that he wasn't shown enough respect etc. They are both one of the few coaches to have won premierships with 2 different ARL/NRL clubs (5 in the last 50 years) and in the case of Anderson I think the only person to also win a premiership in UK as well.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Pretty fair side he had. Dogs had already won 3 comps in the 80s.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty fair side he had. Dogs had already won 3 comps in the 80s.
Yes indeed. Gus was lucky that the Dogs two greatest players Mortimer and Lamb were in his side. The dogs had a bad year in 87 when the rules changed from 5 to 10 metres to counter the dogs dominant defence. Took them a year to adjust so no surprise when they won again in 88.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gus should be thankful the dogs have him a start as coach. Who knows where he'd be if he didn't get to coach the great dogs side he inherited
I've heard that he didn't need to do much with a well drilled skilful roster at the time. So in complete agreement there.

I honestly don't care if he's still harbouring the grudge. He seems like the master of hindsight to me. People think highly of his supposed revival of the Panthers. But they had a lot of resources to work with off the field and massive junior nursery to tap into for on field results.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can tell Gus still has a soft spot for the club

He’s tough on his assessment but he’s fair and if anything I think he hates what’s become of the club

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus was still invited as part of the selection panel for hall of famer and team of the decade when the club celebrated their 80th.
Having said that my opinion is it will be difficult for gus to be involved in current set up.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't hate Gus like others do and think he's more impartial when talking about most clubs than people give him credit for.

Gus knows that the league is at it's best and most popular when powerful, well supported clubs like us and Brisbane are successful... I think he respects the history and tradition of our club and he probably didn't think he'd ever see the day when Canterbury missed the finals four years straight.