Can Meaney be our own Papenhuysen?

DaveV

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That's true. I'll give Pap the first 5/10 m

but we are really forgetting how he was almost binned as an unco fringe player just a couple of years back.
We the bulldogs didn't even want him at min wage. Goes to show.

Meaney at least has recognised football smarts. He's actually further than puppy at the same stage of their career.
I think Meaney has a lot of potential. He’s had below average coaches and Barrett will be an upgrade for him and rest of the squad so hopefully Tbaz gives him first shot at No1. I’m predicting he’ll become a regular and dominant fullback providing he gets the opportunity.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's true. I'll give Pap the first 5/10 m

but we are really forgetting how he was almost binned as an unco fringe player just a couple of years back.
We the bulldogs didn't even want him at min wage. Goes to show.

Meaney at least has recognised football smarts. He's actually further than puppy at the same stage of their career.
I was shocked to find out tonight that that Papenhuysen was a Canterbury Junior, I can't believe how much talent we've let go, who the hell is running the recruitment, unbelievable, Anyway I tend to agree with Nasheed on this one I think Meaney has the potential to be a great fullback under the right coaching staff lets hope it is Barret & his team.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was shocked to find out tonight that that Papenhuysen was a Canterbury Junior, I can't believe how much talent we've let go, who the hell is running the recruitment, unbelievable, Anyway I tend to agree with Nasheed on this one I think Meaney has the potential to be a great fullback under the right coaching staff lets hope it is Barret & his team.
that's not true #FakeNews

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
“I was a Parra junior and didn’t really make the rep sides, I was just playing footy for fun,” Papenhuyzen said.

“I had a year off league, I was around 13-14, I didn’t want to play. I was playing union at school and had a few injuries. I kept playing touch footy which got me back into rugby league.

“The guys I was playing with were playing for the Dundas Shamrocks which is under the Balmain District Comp. I said I’d give it a go, we had a good bunch of boys and coach.

“We ended up winning the premiership and I said ‘how good is this?’. I loved it. I got the love for it again. I was really enjoying it.

“I made the Balmain development sides and then Harold Matthews, SG Ball and under-20s. But I didn’t think Tedesco would leave the Tigers."

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He wasnt a dogs junior, but he grew up a mad doggies fan.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Dundas shamrocks! How good!
means he was under the tutelage of Lee Malkoun, whom many here were tipping to replace Des Hasler before Pay got our head coach role.
Stuff like this is why.
The story I heard with Pappy is not that he was a Parra junior, but he was offered out to Canterbury at a young age or maybe it was after the tigers discarded him.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dundas shamrocks! How good!
means he was under the tutelage of Lee Malkoun, whom many here were tipping to replace Des Hasler before Pay got our head coach role.
Stuff like this is why.
The story I heard with Pappy is not that he was a Parra junior, but he was offered out to Canterbury at a young age or maybe it was after the tigers discarded him.
He wasn't offered to Canterbury not ever. The tigers wanted to keep him BUT he thought Teddy would be there forever and he chose Melbourne for less $$ than what he was on at the Tigers playing in the reggies.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He wasnt a dogs junior, but he grew up a mad doggies fan.
Thanks for clearing that up for me buddy at least I feel a bit better now, If he is such a big doggies fan he should for fil his childhood dream and come & play for us, Can you imagine? well I guess I can dream.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up for me buddy at least I feel a bit better now, If he is such a big doggies fan he should for fil his childhood dream and come & play for us, Can you imagine? well I guess I can dream.
Can only hope

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
They all seem to lose those dreams when they hit the big time. Just becomes money or career management.

seems there's a lot of Chinese whispers about pappy and the dogs connection. But I think Superman be right. I've seen little pappy posing on Denan kemp's site in dogs clothes

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Title is self explanatory.

why or why Not?
He is quick and has football instinct. But is he good enough?
Proper answers please.
I think the more important question is-

Could Nick Meaney be Nasheed's New Kerrod Holland???

I've been worried about you mate since the retirement of the great man.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The storm shopped him around to everyone 18 months ago and no one wanted him kept him and the little pricks a superstar now
I like watching him play like when barba had the ball feel about paps
And as for meany quick yes only seen him in full flight a hand full of times if we had a decent back rower of prop who could off load and if he sniffed around the ruck for the offload could be effective needs a little more size too. Seems when he gets the ball and instead of using his speed to burn bigger wingers on the out side always cuts back in needs to back his speed too

Last edited:

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meany's speed is good and he is sound under the high ball but his inability to tackle break, push up or show any kind of ball playing skills means he is injury backup. Sorry if I sound harsh but he has had plenty of time to show a glimmer and it hasn't occurred.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just hope he outplays Hoppa in the trials and gets the 1 jersey back, if they stick by him of course another year will improve him.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
People on here have short memories 2 years ago not 1 club wanted pappy ,with a good coach it’s certainly possible