Cameron Ciraldo

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't acknowledge the improvements this season in defence, spirit, desperation, effort and even the last few weeks with our attack is just a hater at this point.

I wasn't sold on Ciraldo going into the season but he's done a great job so far this season, even if I don't agree with everything he does
Nor will anyone ever agree with everything he does. Facts are, he is the coach and the decisions are his. He's not there to make the fans happy, he's there to do his job.
On to the positives, we have improved drastically accross all aspects of our game. To go to Melbourne and face a fully fit top of the table storm, with a number of players missing due to injury, and come back from 10-0 down and then hit the front after 3 quality tries, and very nearly win, just shows how good a job Ciraldo has done with this team. The boys are absolutely on board, and are totally committed to the standards and methods that he has put in place.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aways believed he could do the job, still early but there is the improvement we all wanted to see.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great summation Alan. We don't have our famous winning culture back as yet but it's fair to say we are looking highly likely to achieve that if the improvement continues.

Next phase is expanding the gameplan and icing games as you pointed out. Ciro and this 2024 roster have worked so hard and come a long way already and he has them ready for the next part of the journey which will be a big test for himself and the players.

We don't know when we will be ready to be the complete winning package but can feel confident it's a case of it will definately happen.

Bulldogs fans should be very happy with our coach and team...but CC needs to prepare them now for the next phase of the rebuild and that is to recognise we are now playing ahead of his gameplan of using Hutch as his 7. Time to add variety and a few more attacking skills into the game management. That suggests Taafe or Sexton or Hayward eased in. We look like we have the defence to cover for them now. CC will probably hold off for a while till he is 100% convinced however.
Imagine this squad with Woods and Papali'i in it, and some of our good young forwards.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Salmon and Hutchison are liabilities. Both are benchies but not starters. Would like to see someone else get a crack.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Did you see what happened when kautoga came on today? He had been on for a whole 7 mins and was walking around watching the match winner get scored, Theres a reason behind why salmon is getting picked he made 42 tackles today as shit as his hit ups look we need him atm until preston returns at the very least. Those who keep whinging about hutchison the other option in sexton also comes with alot of cons neither is the long term option.. Ciraldo knows this we all know this but it is what it is until oneil/mitch woods or even hayward have developed enough to take the jersey.
With CC rotations. Maybe we shouldn't be putting on the inexperienced, not as game fit Kautoga on at the back end of games and be using the bench better to suit different situations. Kautoga looks likely if managed well.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The questions to ask are is he making individuals better players, is he getting the most out of the squad and can you see improvements- he was smart to jump in to the frypan last year because we are much further down the path to success than if this was season one.

What will our team look like next year when we selectively turn over another 5-7 players and the team has another year under his systems to gel!

The year after that we will be a serious premiership threat!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With CC rotations. Maybe we shouldn't be putting on the inexperienced, not as game fit Kautoga on at the back end of games and be using the bench better to suit different situations. Kautoga looks likely if managed well.
If Ciro planned to give Patolo and KK junk mins then he was better off playing Knight for his journeyman experience out there

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ciraldo will be the game's No1 coach in one or two seasons.
The game is changing fast and the coaches with new ideas and who can make them work are the ones who will succeed.
Over the past week a Ciraldo-coached side successfully prepared for a game against the Storm at home. And despite having a number of key players out, mostly outplayed the Storm.
This is something the modern coach must be able to deliver every week because injuries are so common now, especially concussions.
The successful modern coach is a highly intelligent, multi-dimensional thinker and has a broad range a management skills.
Ciraldo watched Penrith change the game so he understands the need for innovation and attention to detail across the club.
He took on the Bulldogs job because of the opportunity to become the No 1 club and because he wants to be the No 1 coach.

But most impotantly, I guarantee you in his spare time Ciraldo is doing all sorts of personal development research and study.
He knows he is on the one person at the club with the most to learn.
This is the Ciraldo's No 1 attribute. Knowing he has a lot to learn.
I think there is something in that for all of us. ;)

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Bulk of our forwards can play 80. Kils, Curran, Preston, Salmon, Mann, King, could all play 80 if needed. Not saying they should, but we have a very fit and mobile pack.
but they don't need to play full 80 it just adds more fatigue and adds more risk to injury.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Last year I was in camp Ciraldon't.
But this year I'm in camp Ciraldo. :tonguewink::tearsofjoy:

Ok, Ok. I'll see myself out!

Seriously though, it's a massive turnaround from last year. Well done so far.
Most doubters who looked at last years results felt the same way.

This year there is reason to overall support the coach.

It's that simple. Results driven and club/team first. Imagine CC wouldn't expect any favours.

I said in an earlier post. Ciraldo keeps the team progressing and on the right path, he will be due an extension at this rate.

It's impressive how obvious it is how he cares about the club and players and wants the fan base support for them.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If Ciro planned to give Patolo and KK junk mins then he was better off playing Knight for his journeyman experience out there
Yeah it's a puzzle why he is using his roster this way.
Suspect he is still going in with a preconceived idea of building resolve and game hard conditions under stress to make the guys battle hard.

Only problem is he has done such a good job with them; now they are ready for the finesse and polish and he is a game or two behind bc they caught up and have exceeded his ambitions for them :grinning:

Maybe I'm not being realistic, and far too optimistic, but they look ready for the next step of the challenge and that will be a 7 who gives them options.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you're trying to reference me without tagging me, I've said it from the start, I can't wait to be proven wrong and will make a thread about it.
I don't think you even need to acknowledge that. I was sceptical in the beginning giving a 5 year contract to an untested coach at NRL level but I was happy to go along with the club's decision and I defy anybody even the most ardent supporter of CC not to start having some doubt from what we saw last year. It's great to see the Dogs on the rise again.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't think you even need to acknowledge that. I was sceptical in the beginning giving a 5 year contract to an untested coach at NRL level but I was happy to go along with the club's decision and I defy anybody even the most ardent supporter of CC not to start having some doubt from what we saw last year. It's great to see the Dogs on the rise again.
Summed up well.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That step fucking kills me everytime. I lose some HP literally. Im down to 20%
If they're handing out Supercoach points for 'stepping back in on the 4th to kill the play' then Hutch is MVP this round (and probably a few of the previous rounds too).

Can't fault his effort, but he cannot continue as our 7 - just can't happen.

T-Rocket

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Overall you can see the team is heading in the right direction. Whilst being pretty stubborn CC is getting better with team selection. think he needs to manage the bench better. Need to be getting more minutes out of some of the props.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
'Hope' (2023) is now tending towards 'Belief' (first rounds of 2024).
There is no doubt the performances have improved immensely (particularly fitness, line speed, defence, resilience).
Still has some blind spots (stubborn selections, rotations) but if he can improve these areas then there is really no reason 'Belief' cannot become 'Convinced', and quickly too.

I can see us "going on an extended winning run" somewhere through the middle section of the draw.

Not sure if it was just injury-inspired, but I think seeing Tracey line up at the back is one of the few times Ciraldo has rolled out a change beyond the named line up - I want to see more of that adaptability.

I still want to see him make some proactive changes to the game day lineup (not just injury/fitness-based changes). Tracey/Taffe and who replaces Hutch at 7 will be good tests of this, for next week (or Round 9, if he really cannot yet find it within himself to change before the Bye).