Opinion Call for Calm re: Wakeham (Caution: unpopular opinion)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Only problem paying Wakeham and Cogger together is I think they'll leak points in defense. Both small so opposition teams would run at them all day
Maybe they will maybe they won't. From what I saw of them all year they never arm grab and always put their body out in front taking the hit and thats all you can ask of them. Aslong as the team is fit and well drilled the defence inside and out will be more than enough help for them.

Banned
Reaction score
Only problem paying Wakeham and Cogger together is I think they'll leak points in defense. Both small so opposition teams would run at them all day
You mean like the opposition did against Slater, Thurston, El Maseri, Johns, Lockyer, Cronk and the smallest in this quick list, Langer?
Every player there is below 1.8m.
Langer is the only one below 1.7m.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe they will maybe they won't. From what I saw of them all year they never arm grab and always put their body out in front taking the hit and thats all you can ask of them. As long as the team is fit and well drilled the defence inside and out will be more than enough help for them.
Well said - all teams target opposition halves as they are generally smaller - well drilled defence, technique and "guts"- generally sorts out any major issues. All the dogs halves improved defensively last year - Lewis defensively is superb - technique, commitment - as you said Cogger and Wakeham get their bodies in front of the ball carriers, with polishd technique they shouldn't be a liability.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think people on here even rate wakeham as much.... Its not like he's the next Barba or JT.....Cogger over Wakeham at this stage.
Barba was useless when he first came into the top grade. He couldn't defend and couldn't handle a high ball. Over time he became our most effective weapon.
Sometimes we need to allow junior players to develop.