News $BW-I had so many drugs in my system I could have died-SBW admission in his new book

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well I'm not sure why SBW becoming Muslim made him uncomfortable/awkward at the club when Hazem and Utai, who are both Muslim, were both in the team at the same time he was.
I agree bro. Tbh, a Samoan becoming Muslim would be difficult in most Samoan families with Christianity being so central to our cultural practices. Im sure he would have been struggling with some identity issues. End of the day, these are all excuses he came up with to justify leaving the Bulldogs for better coin.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fellow Kennel members Im probably the only person who does not hate or think SBW is a piece of shite as one mentioned.

Many young men make mistakes and if you dont buy the shyness or mental problems its not that crazy. Surely one cant be so naive to think the club had no part in not managing him or others better.

They unfortunately only saw him and others at the time as premiership players with many unresolved issues which they bandaided to hope they could get past them. The rot started well before he did the unthinkable walk out which cut me deeply at the time and hurts seeing the images of him in France as I too was not aware of the issues inside the club and managers etc which has been revealed by a number of people since.

We know how those early poly boys in club land faced cutural challenges moving from their famiies and becoming the bread winners for the whole families or villages which today is still happening. The Bulldogs learnt the hard way about some of the issues young men with too much time and money and problems it can manifest. The club was in the papers for the wrong reasons for quite a long period there.

Unfortunately they may have felt they could handle the challenges but ultimately the chance to build a dynasty with them never eventuated.

Of course they all are accountable and as a father of 4 grown up poly men of my own and grand children I for one know that those teen years through to the late twenties are still full of stupid and sometimes selfish mistakes and I acknowledged the poor choices along with alot of our elders and my own tough love and hard commitment to support them. Luckily they have come out the other side mature and better people.

This young man made the poorest of mistakes career wise?? Maybe so...but they lead him to a very envious position and achievements that many can say that he would never have done had he stayed with what was left of that amazing 04 premiership team.

My thoughts are indeed mine and Im pretty sure Ill be criticised. But growing up in South Auckland and the stigma of being polynesian is a real issue which is why I choose the raise my family in this wonderful country.

I love the Dogs and will support them forever but I have forgiven this man's mistakes many moons ago. Perhaps we all could move on and learn more on how to ensure this never happens again with another bright young man in Blue and White.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fellow Kennel members Im probably the only person who does not hate or think SBW is a piece of shite as one mentioned.

Many young men make mistakes and if you dont buy the shyness or mental problems its not that crazy. Surely one cant be so naive to think the club had no part in not managing him or others better.

They unfortunately only saw him and others at the time as premiership players with many unresolved issues which they bandaided to hope they could get past them. The rot started well before he did the unthinkable walk out which cut me deeply at the time and hurts seeing the images of him in France as I too was not aware of the issues inside the club and managers etc which has been revealed by a number of people since.

We know how those early poly boys in club land faced cutural challenges moving from their famiies and becoming the bread winners for the whole families or villages which today is still happening. The Bulldogs learnt the hard way about some of the issues young men with too much time and money and problems it can manifest. The club was in the papers for the wrong reasons for quite a long period there.

Unfortunately they may have felt they could handle the challenges but ultimately the chance to build a dynasty with them never eventuated.

Of course they all are accountable and as a father of 4 grown up poly men of my own and grand children I for one know that those teen years through to the late twenties are still full of stupid and sometimes selfish mistakes and I acknowledged the poor choices along with alot of our elders and my own tough love and hard commitment to support them. Luckily they have come out the other side mature and better people.

This young man made the poorest of mistakes career wise?? Maybe so...but they lead him to a very envious position and achievements that many can say that he would never have done had he stayed with what was left of that amazing 04 premiership team.

My thoughts are indeed mine and Im pretty sure Ill be criticised. But growing up in South Auckland and the stigma of being polynesian is a real issue which is why I choose the raise my family in this wonderful country.

I love the Dogs and will support them forever but I have forgiven this man's mistakes many moons ago. Perhaps we all could move on and learn more on how to ensure this never happens again with another bright young man in Blue and White.
Well said.

These days there is so much focus on the individual, the context and socio-cultural considerations, which are very relevant, are being pushed to the background. Both the individual and the context are relevant.

I have come across quite a few Polynesian people (mostly young men) in a professional capacity and there is no doubt that along side some poor decisions on their part sit discrimination, stigma, and other challenges to their cultural context. Fortunately in most of those cases good outcomes have come, but serious and careful consideration of context is a key part of gaining those good outcomes.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As per usual it's someone else's fault, **** sold us out for the money end of story and now he's trying to salvage the credibility of his legacy in rugby league. No dice asshole.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I ended up reading his book, got it cheap off facebook marketplace.

Would of liked more photos of his younger playing days
Talked about his conversion to islam
Talked about his union and league careers
Mentors he is grateful for in his career
Talks about his endevours to help islander kids and get more islanders into coaching and management positions
All the drugs he took and his party life
Didnt say to much about his time at the bulldogs, talked about it abit and talked about some history at the dogs and the people he is grateful for.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't wipe my arse with his book. And not being racist, but i dont think he should just help Islander kids only. So so many of them, I think it turns alot of young players and fans off Rugby League, it would be nice if he could persuade them to play union instead.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldn't wipe my arse with his book. And not being racist, but i dont think he should just help Islander kids only. So so many of them, I think it turns alot of young players and fans off Rugby League, it would be nice if he could persuade them to play union instead.
Yeah look i just bought the book because it was cheap. Dont even think SBW does anything for islander kids anyway, why would he care about juniour footballers, i think SBW from the sounds of it wants more islanders at NRL and sporting management and hierachial sporting positions.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
See so many getting picked on size, with no stamina or ability.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hasn’t recouped money invested in book. No one wants to buy it. Selling very cheap now due to no demand
Wow. Sports stars lives are boring in general (unless you're Mike Tyson) i don't think id bother buying it either....

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow. Sports stars lives are boring in general (unless you're Mike Tyson) i don't think id bother buying it either....
Yep, essentially all they do is train and eat well. Pretty boring really, got nothing on rock stars!!!

Malla

Reaction score
Just finished reading it.

Essentially he still fails to take responsibility and accountability for the way he walked out on the Bulldogs. He tries to justify why he did it. All the drug taking was his own fault. I knew of stories of some benders he, Reni and Mason used to have - he was a loose cannon. Yes he needed to clean up his life, but that's no reason or excuse to leave the Dogs the way he did lol.

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just finished reading it.

Essentially he still fails to take responsibility and accountability for the way he walked out on the Bulldogs. He tries to justify why he did it. All the drug taking was his own fault. I knew of stories of some benders he, Reni and Mason used to have - he was a loose cannon. Yes he needed to clean up his life, but that's no reason or excuse to leave the Dogs the way he did lol.
Got me thinking this bloke was not ever drug tested?And just got me thinking no wonder he was a animal at training and on the field, all that stimulants helped him.