Opinion Burtons goal kicking

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Earlier in the season when Burton started kicking goals, im sure most of us were thinking WTF??!! Why not Flanagan, Averilo, or even Schoupp? As if Burton needed any more pressure on his shoulders. But look at him now!! He has improved out of sight! His accuracy on point, and he strikes it so naturally and effortlessly.
6 weeks ago i was worried he would shank it from right in front. Now im confident he will kick it from either touchline. Well done Burto!! Im sure he is putting in plenty of extras to hone this skill.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Earlier in the season when Burton started kicking goals, im sure most of us were thinking WTF??!! Why not Flanagan, Averilo, or even Schoupp? As if Burton needed any more pressure on his shoulders. But look at him now!! He has improved out of sight! His accuracy on point, and he strikes it so naturally and effortlessly.
6 weeks ago i was worried he would shank it from right in front. Now im confident he will kick it from either touchline. Well done Burto!! Im sure he is putting in plenty of extras to hone this skill.
Its gotten so much better considering he never kicked at any other nrl team. Only real first year where he is the number 1 option himself and he will only get more accurate and better the way we are scoring points now.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100 times better than Flange , even when hes at his worst!

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Him and Flanno are on par. Flanno should kick from wide on the left hand side though Imo

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't trust goal kickers who kick straight instead of the curve/swing but he's improved a lot recently

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He’s got every repertoire of kicks , just needs to keep honing them at training

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Him and Flanno are on par. Flanno should kick from wide on the left hand side though Imo
I once coached a team where we had left and right foot kickers. That exact scenario you allude to is what we did. In the Grand Final our left foot kicker nailed it from the right sideline to give us an 8 point lead with under 2 minutes to go.

Way back in the late 70’s or early 80’s there was a guy named Mike Eden who played for Easts and then Manly who could kick goals with both feet. Natural right footer but kicked from out wide on the right with his left foot.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I once coached a team where we had left and right foot kickers. That exact scenario you allude to is what we did. In the Grand Final our left foot kicker nailed it from the right sideline to give us an 8 point lead with under 2 minutes to go.

Way back in the late 70’s or early 80’s there was a guy named Mike Eden who played for Easts and then Manly who could kick goals with both feet. Natural right footer but kicked from out wide on the right with his left foot.
Fuck you're old like me, i raised the point of Mike Eden in another goal kicking post a while back.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

If they don't have the "fade" option in their kicking arsenal it makes sense to use the natural curve to your advantage

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How good is Valentine Holmes at using the fade, He is the best goal kicker in the NRL imo

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club can produce top notch goal kickers.

Having both Hazem and Halligan around no doubt helps.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan hits em straight but really struggled for distance. Still incredible burtons improvement hopefully this is the norm from here on out