Votes: 26 27.7%
  • 5/8

Votes: 69 73.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Luai got a Premiership ring. Burton got an early holiday.
Burton is not at the top of the problems with the Dogs NRL team, he isn't even in the middle of the list. Some of the problems at the top of list get sorted, Burton will have a Premiership ring playing 5/8 in the blue and white.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton is not at the top of the problems with the Dogs NRL team, he isn't even in the middle of the list. Some of the problems at the top of list get sorted, Burton will have a Premiership ring playing 5/8 in the blue and white.
He won't.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a fair point. I get the feeling Burton has stumbled into the NRL primarily based on natural talent.

He strikes me as the kind of kid coming through that was just better than his peers. He never learned the skill of working his but off to make teams and improve. He just got picked.

I think Burton has reached first grade and lacks the core techniques needed to grow as a player. He lacks the inner fight that is in players with less natural talent. That just want it, love it and work their arse off to achieve their dream.

I think him learning the mental side of it. Just wanting to get better is the key to how his career progresses.
Burton was a winger for Dubbo until he got picked up by the Panthers.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I understand he has had a shit forward pack and no platform to play off. However he has seemed very quiet and timid for a half and co captain.
For that reason im currently inclined to say centre... Hoping he can turn it around, finding his voice and learning how to tackle should be main priority.

Last edited:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
There is absolutely no question that Burton is a better centre than a 5/8.
If anyone can’t see that, they need they head checked.
BUT,
That’s not the question.
The question is whether he adds more value to a team as a 5/8 than a centre three quarter.
You’ll probably find many players in important positions would be better in lesser positions but because the dominant position is more important the player is needed
Hayne was a good centre but he was also a good fullback for examaple
It’s part of the promotion system within the game

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
lol people who are writing Burton off after a few seasons playing behind a whipped pack with no senior halves partner are on some good gear.

He’s a 6, through and through. And potentially a very good one. But he won’t realise his potential until he gets a good pack to play off and some clarity about his role.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton's best game last year was alongside Sexton when he debuted in my opinion. He was heavily marked last year because most of his halves partners were limited attacking threats. So he's had a lot of pressure dumped on him through his time here. There's nowhere to hide when the team around you are also struggling.

We lacked quality everywhere by the time injuries hit. I think next season we're a stronger looking team on paper at least. Whether that translates to markedly better results we won't know until we see a handful of games.

Between our backline recruitment and the addition of some experienced heads I think we'll improve a lot. We all know we don't have dominant props. But getting someone to play as a battering ram is simpler than trying to manufacture a half, hooker or fullback. Hopefully we can also implement a game plan that allows our backline to roam behind the pack as support runners on tackles 1-3.

Realistically if the team around Burton fire, he'll have a better season. Nobody knows what his best is yet. But I think we're going to see something closer to it in 24 by the simple fact that there's more threats to worry about on the field round him.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Left Centre. We've seen him play at 6 for 2 seasons already & he's been crap for 2 seasons.
Yours’ is the most logical statement in this post. If the Kennel Members know Burton and want to be genuine, without thinking with their heart, he is more born to play a centre than a 5/8. Even when at Origin level he was chosen as a centre. We won't win a premiership whilst he's at 5/8. Unless something drastically changes about his game. I couldn't care less if I'm wrong, if it means we start winning games whilst he's in the halves, but seriously doubt it. The coach should reconsider his position at 5/8 unless things change fast.

Old Man JB

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the mental gymnastics from TK after seeing Alamoti kick on at Penrith lol.
You think he will? I honestly hope he does same as I hope Averillo kicks on. But my crystal ball tells me Alamoti will be fringe NRL where as Averillo has a good chance to be a top five fullback.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah and just tell the halves to give them early ball. Same left side attack Penrith had when they one the GF a few years ago. Kiks and Burton are big bodies/running threats and will commit defenders which will free up the Fox to get one on one opportunities. Or if they wanna play man on man then good luck stopping them. Kikau will go straight through and Burton can use that big left foot step of his.
If I was an opposition coach I’d rather Burto playing 5/8 than coaching against that.
Or a left edge of Burton, kiks, Xerri and JAC. Burton won't be playing in the centres this year, of this im sure.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thank God that we have got him locked up for a few more years to come, because IMO he will end up being one of the best 6's in the game for a long time.

Judge him when he is playing behind a Pack that is dominating and with a halfback that controls the game.

Question:
How do you think Burton would go if you could drop him into our 2004 Premiership side instead of Anasta???

My Answer: IMO - Much Better than Anasta at the very least.

In 3 years time All you doubters will simply disappear when he is lifting the trophy aloft........... you will never speak of this again.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You think he will? I honestly hope he does same as I hope Averillo kicks on. But my crystal ball tells me Alamoti will be fringe NRL where as Averillo has a good chance to be a top five fullback.
You don't go from the hottest junior in the league to useless all within a season. I think Ciraldo got it totally wrong with him, he wasn't ready for firstgrade and he probably isn't really suited to playing centre in firstgrade either. Worst decision by far though was playing him on the left despite him being a very right side dominant player. It will be interesting to see what he does at Penrith, seems like they're moving him to the forwards.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I thank God that we have got him locked up for a few more years to come, because IMO he will end up being one of the best 6's in the game for a long time.

Judge him when he is playing behind a Pack that is dominating and with a halfback that controls the game.

Question:
How do you think Burton would go if you could drop him into our 2004 Premiership side instead of Anasta???

My Answer: IMO - Much Better than Anasta at the very least.

In 3 years time All you doubters will simply disappear when he is lifting the trophy aloft........... you will never speak of this again.
I agree burton will become an elite 6.
BUT Anasta, he was a seriously good player. You dont win premierships, play for state and country if you arent elite. He also came into first grade at young age and dominated