Burton

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Numerous games last year. Mainly when we thrashed Parra (who made the GF) by 30. He was the best player on the park and he made Mitch Moses his bitch all game. The same Moses who people want to sign for $1.9 million a year.
That was 1 game and Parra were putrid.

He may or may not be a 5/8th one day, until then he is just a centre who can put a high bomb but doesn't.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
They did not show anything to Manly, do not stress .
I was waiting for someone with a tin foil hat to say something like this....

We did show something, we still are the BYEdogs. Guaranteed 2 points.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That was 1 game and Parra were putrid.

He may or may not be a 5/8th one day, until then he is just a centre who can put a high bomb but doesn't.
It was way more than one game. The week before against Penrith he had 1 try and 2 try assists. Against the Titans he scored 2 tries.. Numerous games when he played for Penrith without Cleary and their Origin players where he was the best or one of the best players on the park. He's a half and he will continue to play half for the rest of his career.

He played poorly today. It was his first run since the World Cup and ankle surgery. It's a trial.. Reed and several other key players were average too. I'm not going to overreact to a trial loss the same way I wouldn't overreact to a trial win.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's a trial.. Relax.. It's his first game since the World Cup and surgery. He had an average game but he'll be better for the run. Anyone ripping into him now, please keep that same energy when he's setting up and scoring tries in games once the real season starts.
The irony is the same people that are bashing burton are the same people who worship Kiraz LOL

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Point is, we still only beat a Raiders team missing 10 first grade players though so no one should have been jumping up and down.
Just like we shouldn't overreact to losing a trial a top 4 team in Cronulla who look better than last year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I tend to think the opposite.

The fact that Flanagan took more midfield kicks than Burton indicates Ciraldo is trying to get him more involved and have more purpose. Seems intentional having Burton locked to the left.

I think we need to bite the bullet play Burton at 7.
I've been saying since we signed him that we should play Burton on both sides of the field way more often...

The one time he floated to the right side he created space and an overlap that Perham wasted. Ciraldo, Potter or whoever need to be telling, even demanding him to get over to the right more often or design more set plays that free him up on the other side.

KingBurton

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton hasn't trained for four weeks with ankle and thigh problems. My mates have attended every training session and he wasn't even there on Friday. Burton is rusty and this was his first real hit out after a really long season last year. Add that to minimal training recently, time with the rehab crew, I wasn't expecting him to perform miracles. Today was easing him back into contact and he will hopefully hit the ground running in Round 1.

KingBurton

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I wouldn't be reading too much into Burton's individual performance personally.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It was way more than one game. The week before against Penrith he had 1 try and 2 try assists. Against the Titans he scored 2 tries.. Numerous games when he played for Penrith without Cleary and their Origin players where he was the best or one of the best players on the park. He's a half and he will continue to play half for the rest of his career.

He played poorly today. It was his first run since the World Cup and ankle surgery. It's a trial.. Reed and several other key players were average too. I'm not going to overreact to a trial loss the same way I wouldn't overreact to a trial win.
I'm not overreacting at all. Just saying he still is a centre atm.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton hasn't trained for four weeks with ankle and thigh problems. My mates have attended every training session and he wasn't even there on Friday. Burton is rusty and this was his first real hit out after a really long season last year. Add that to minimal training recently, time with the rehab crew, I wasn't expecting him to perform miracles. Today was easing him back into contact and he will hopefully hit the ground running in Round 1.
Are my taxes paying for your 'mates' lifestyles?
FKN they've attended every training session?

Maybe they need to get a life?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Please stop being realistic and putting things into perspective... Like you said he's barely trained for weeks. Of course he's underdone. It's not an excuse, it's just fact..

Why so many people want to stick the knife into Burton at any chance is beyond me...

Hearing the crowd at Belmore cheer and chant for Reynolds despite being down 30-4 gave me chills reminded me that we have the best, most loyal fanbase in the comp...Then reading the comments after the game reminded me that we also have the most overreactionary and unreasonable fanbase in the comp at times...

KingBurton

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Are my taxes paying for your 'mates' lifestyles?
FKN they've attended every training session?

Maybe they need to get a life?
I have a big group of Bulldogs mates and they've been alternating based on Gus posting the times on Twitter. Make of it what you will, but its the truth that Burton has not trained normally in the last month. Went down with thigh soreness the week he came back from the ankle surgery, and he's had little to no heavy contact training since then.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If Burton is carrying some sort of ankle issue then lol. This is exactly what I was talking about last year when I said he shouldn't have gone into Australian camp. He needed his ankle cleaned out and to be fit to start preseason from day one, instead we delayed his surgery, let him go into camp and gave him an extended holiday before having it worked on. I'd like to think this isn't it though, surely.

KingBurton

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Please stop being realistic and putting things into perspective... Like you said he's barely trained for weeks. Of course he's underdone. It's not an excuse, it's just fact..

Why so many people want to stick the knife into Burton at any chance is beyond me...

Hearing the crowd at Belmore cheer and chant for Reynolds despite being down 30-4 gave me chills reminded me that we have the best, most loyal fanbase in the comp...Then reading the comments after the game reminded me that we also have the most overreactionary and unreasonable fanbase in the comp at times...
Remember when trial matches weren't televised and meant nothing? I much prefer those days.

1676813179327.png
Our NSW Cup team thumped the full strength Panthers, who in that same year, made the semi-final.

We beat a full strength Melbourne squad in 2016 before they made the Grand Final and we were set back to the first week.

This is the first match with the new spine, many players returning from extended periods of not playing a match and recovering from injuries suffered last season. And its against a team that finished second, with established combinations and a track record of success.

If your going to write off a team based on a trial match in 36 degree weather at Belmore, against the team that finished second, with new combinations, niggling injuries and many players recovering from injuries and returning to full fitness, you are the problem.

I've seen first hand the work ethic, discipline, and commitment of the boys on the training paddock. They leave no stone unturned and go on for hours. They communicate, help each other out, are always hungry to improve - and I will not let a trial match convince me that what I saw won't translate into success somewhere down the track. A trial match is not conclusive evidence, I'm sorry. What I and my mates have seen is.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Burton worries me. I can’t remember him setting a try up in open play. Every time he dummies and runs he gets tackled easily. Not convinced at all
Dude needs to simplify his game... Everyone makes comparisons to play like Freddy and Daley.
I just want the bloke to simplify his game like John Sutton did for Souths when playing 6.

But really I don't think Burton understands tempo as a half, bloke runs good lines when receiving, but cant identify/create them for his outside men... I still think he'd be a better #1 than #6.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sort of feel like it’s been perceived as a nothing game so many just showed up don’t see that happening throughout the season. Though the goal should be to win any game even if it’s worth nothing it’s the pride in the jersey.

Think we will come out round 1 firing and get a good result.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We should look at stealing Weaver off the Titans as insurance just incase.