Opinion Burton will be a top 3 half in the NRL in 2024

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Here we go..someone’s arrogance begins to shine..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Now you sound just like a Joey fan pulling out a single year or game.. I can reply with hours of JT magic if you like?
Go for it. I don't deny that JT had more individual brilliance in his game but Cronk overall was the better halfback and severely underrated because of who he played with. Cronk does more for this Bulldog side than JT.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope. Give me Cronk @ halfback over JT everyday of the week.
Agree to disagree.

JT did it all over a full career mostly with an ordinary team. Cronk only came alive half way through his career. Alway played with star studded teams. No comparison when you talk of total dominance.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Agree to disagree.

JT did it all over a full career mostly with an ordinary team. Cronk only came alive half way through his career. Alway played with star studded teams. No comparison when you talk of total dominance.
JT didn't dominate his entire career. There were many years when he was at his peak that the Cowboys didn't even make the 8. From 2008-2010 JT went 17-40 playing for the Cowboys.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT didn't dominate his entire career. There were many years when he was at his peak that the Cowboys didn't even make the 8. From 2008-2010 JT went 17-40 playing for the Cowboys.
JT excelled when playing with a rabble. Cronk never played in a team that wasn’t full of internationals. And wasn’t the dominant player in any team except his stint with the Roosters.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also I love how when people are talking about who was better they totally don't discuss defense which is half the game.

Joey was the GOAT defensive halfback. Cronk was good. JT was terrible.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
JT excelled when playing with a rabble. Cronk never played in a team that wasn’t full of internationals. And wasn’t the dominant player in any team except his stint with the Roosters.
JT didn't excell when playing with rabble. I just proved to you that him & the Cowboys were terrible between 2008-2010. JT didn't make them better at that time.

Cronk literally won b2b titles with 2 different teams & it was because of him.

Anyway I'm not on either team JT or team Cronk. I think it's very close between the 2 & you can make an arguement for either. If you had either at 2 or at 5 in your all-time halfback list I wouldn't disagree with you.

The only thing to me is Joey is clear of everyone else.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also I love how when people are talking about who was better they totally don't discuss defense which is half the game.

Joey was the GOAT defensive halfback. Cronk was good. JT was terrible.
Cronk isn’t in the conversation for greatness. Joey & JT certainly are. Cleary will be better than all of them by the time he calls it a day.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He beat Manly in the GF who had made the previous 2 GF & were the defending champions. In 1996 when all teams were in the comp the GF was 2 ARL teams.

Also Nathan was in the most stacked team in the NRL. Panthers didn't win the GF because of him. If Latrell wasn't suspended then Souths would've won. Knights literally won because of Joey.

Saying Cleary was better than Joey when they were both 23 is dumb and/or a lie.
I'm not talking about 96, I'm taking about the red hot 97 Broncos side. If you want to go down the path of using teams previous years as a measuring stick, why didn't they beat the 98 Broncos side when the comp was united?

And knights won because of Robbie O'Davis that day, Johns wasn't even known as the best player in the game during that time, that period belonged to Langer and Stewart.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cronk isn’t in the conversation for greatness. Joey & JT certainly are. Cleary will be better than all of them by the time he calls it a day.
Yeah playing in 9 GF isn't greatness....................

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah playing in 9 GF isn't greatness....................
Are you blind to the teams he was in?

Cameron Smith a certain future immortal ran the show at Melbourne for Cronks whole time there.

He was part of the puzzle no question but not the main man. I’m not saying he wasn’t good but great? You have a lesser standard to me if Cronk is a considered great. He was very good IMO.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm not talking about 96, I'm taking about the red hot 97 Broncos side. If you want to go down the path of using teams previous years as a measuring stick, why didn't they beat the 98 Broncos side when the comp was united?

And knights won because of Robbie O'Davis that day, Johns wasn't even known as the best player in the game during that time, that period belonged to Langer and Stewart.
I didn't know that the 1998 Broncos team played in 1997. My bad. The Panthers 2003 GF winners are shit because they didn't beat the Bulldogs 2004 team..................... Your argument keeps getting dumber. I'm out.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Are you blind to the teams he was in?

Cameron Smith a certain future immortal ran the show at Melbourne for Cronks whole time there.

He was part of the puzzle no question but not the main man. I’m not saying he wasn’t good but great? You have a lesser standard to me if Cronk is a considered great. He was very good IMO.
You're the only person that I've ever seen say Cronk isn't great. He's clearly a top 10 halfback of all-time. If you don't think that he's great then you're the one that is blind.

Reactions: CMP

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top 10 is about right. My version of great is the best of the best top 3 of all time. Which I don’t think he is. He never played in a team that wasn’t stacked.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT & Joey for me sit head and shoulders above anyone else to ever play the game. Not just looking at stats either. Cleary will leapfrog them both.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Top 10 is about right. My version of great is the best of the best top 3 of all time. Which I don’t think he is. He never played in a team that wasn’t stacked.
So Allan Langer wasn't great? Peter Sterling? Steve Mortimer? Ricky Stuart? That's crazy.

Oh so the Panthers aren't stacked? Cleary is eliminated from great talk then.