Opinion Burton will be a top 3 half in the NRL in 2024

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some may say bold prediction. But the amount of shit Burto cops on here is so unwarranted.

Burton for so long here has copped the blame for any average or poor performance. I've read constantly "Burton is a centre", "Burton has no creativity", "Burton is bad under pressure", "Burton can't defend" blah blah blah.

In every good performance we've had since start of 2022 (albeit not many), who has been our best player in 95% of those games? Burton.
Before we had an actual halfback in Sexton, who was the one who gave us any chance of scoring any points and had all the pressure of running a team with no forward pack? Burton.

He's on big money. Yeah I get it, he has some underwhelming performances. Not finding touch is inexcusable. But the guy for only a 23 year old playing in a struggling team isn't going to set the world on fire. He is still our main attacking threat.

All year he has had a different left winger, left centre, second rower and halfback around him. How are you meant to build cohesion and confidence with constant changes, plus a forward pack who gets dominated most weeks?

Everyone knows Burton in a good system can excel, any chances with Penrith he got at 6 when Luai was out he excelled. He has shown flashes of brilliance, and with an actual halfback now I hope Burto can free up and run the ball more and chime in when he needs to.

Make no mistake with more forwards (hopefully), another year with Mahoney, Sexton, Kikau and his mate Critta coming, 2024 could be the making of Matt Burton.

Sleep on him all you like.
Burton will light up the NRL next year. Mark my words.

Matt Burton 2.0 is coming in just a couple of weeks.

Just a reminder ;)

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My top 3 halves for 2024
Cleary (GOAT)
Hynes (easy draw)
Reynolds (just needs to avoid injury)

Honourable mentions will be Sam Walker and his combo / cut out balls to Dom Young.

Sorry Burto...

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My top 3 halves for 2024
Cleary (GOAT)
Hynes (easy draw)
Reynolds (just needs to avoid injury)

Honourable mentions will be Sam Walker and his combo / cut out balls to Dom Young.

Sorry Burto...
Cleary the GOAT? LMFAO

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He will be
He has a chance but he isn't top 5 halfback all-time yet. He's average at Origin. Joey is clear at halfback. Then you have Thurston, Cronk, Langer, Stuart, Sterling & Mortimer just to name a few. So we need to hold off calling him anything until he actually achieves it.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes definitely in the top 34 halves. A lot to do to get to top 3. Hope he can of course. Time will tell

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has a chance but he isn't top 5 halfback all-time yet. He's average at Origin. Joey is clear at halfback. Then you have Thurston, Cronk, Langer, Stuart, Sterling & Mortimer just to name a few. So we need to hold off calling him anything until he actually achieves it.
I don't think Joey was doing the things Cleary is doing at his current age. Joey only started to dominate after the competition split Langer & Stewart and when they retired. He was also behind noddy for the Kangaroos jumper.

Having said that, Peak Joey was the best halfback I've ever seen.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't think Joey was doing the things Cleary is doing at his current age. Joey only started to dominate after the competition split Langer & Stewart and when they retired. He was also behind noddy for the Kangaroos jumper.

Joey was 3 years younger when he won the 1997 GF than Nathan Cleary is right now. By then Joey had won a GF, played Origin & played for Australia. He was also the best player in the world.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Joey was 3 years younger when he won the 1997 GF than Nathan Cleary is right now. By then Joey had won a GF, played Origin & played for Australia. He was also the best player in the world.
Nathan won the GF in 2021 when he was 23. Joey won when the competition was split and the Broncos were playing in the Super League.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
97 GF? Hahahaha, the year he only had to dominate half the amount of teams in the ARL comp.

Broncos would have shit all over the ARL teams and then would have used Newcastle as toilet paper to clean their bums with.

Joey’s peak was better than any halfback in Rugby League history, but Thurston was better because he pretty much dominated throughout his whole career, JT was more consistent.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Pretty much spot on

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
97 GF? Hahahaha, the year he only had to dominate half the amount of teams in the ARL comp.

Broncos would have shit all over the ARL teams and then would have used Newcastle as toilet paper to clean their bums with.

Joey’s peak was better than any halfback in Rugby League history, but Thurston was better because he pretty much dominated throughout his whole career, JT was more consistent.
JT isn't even better than Cronk.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Had to check the date and see if it was April Fools.

You on the hong kongs mate? Burton won’t be close to top 10 halves in the game this year lol

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nathan won the GF in 2021 when he was 23. Joey won when the competition was split and the Broncos were playing in the Super League.
He beat Manly in the GF who had made the previous 2 GF & were the defending champions. In 1996 when all teams were in the comp the GF was 2 ARL teams.

Also Nathan was in the most stacked team in the NRL. Panthers didn't win the GF because of him. If Latrell wasn't suspended then Souths would've won. Knights literally won because of Joey.

Saying Cleary was better than Joey when they were both 23 is dumb and/or a lie.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If he keeps going the way he has been so far in his career. Cleary will be be the GOAT by a long way at retirement.
He might never make another GF again. Let's just not assume what will happen & actually wait until his career is over. Also does Origin not count? NC has never dominated 1 single Origin game. At every age Joey was better than him. Cleary right now isn't even better than peak Thurston.