News Burton to make origin debut

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What centre would you have picked though? He won centre of the year last year.

People give him shit because of his kicking ability, but it's a great skill that most other halves can't execute or have the vision to do. Shifty got most of his try assists from kicks. His kicking game was his greatest strength and he was the best halfback in the comp aside from Joey for several seasons. So I don't see why it has to be a negative..

What halves throw amazing cut out passes for try assists these days? Not many..
Katoni staggs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Did anyone else think Burton should of backed himself when JAC made the break and passed to him in the first half?
I just think he should of pinned his ears back and used his long arms to fend off Laurie, I really think he would of been too strong for Laurie.
He was too undecisive, was thinking kick, run, then kick again. Needed to just make a decision and just back himself and we probably score regardless of the option he took. He was a bit like that last night though, couple of forward and mistimed passes, probably spent too much time looking for the kick considering how successful it has been recently. I think JAC took the wrong option to begin with though, should've hit Flanagan on his inside who could've then linked up with Jake and probably scored next to the post. JAC didn't have the view we had on the broadcast though so it was probably just a decision between Flanagan and Burton for him and you're obviously backing Burtons pace over Flanagans :tearsofjoy:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Katoni staggs
Staggs did nothing in Origin 1 and went off with an injury he could have played through.

Out of all of the moronic selections Fittler made, Burton isn't one of them.. Players like Gutherson, McLean, Radley, Talakai, Tupou, Suaali, Martin etc somehow getting picked in the squad is what people should be questioning.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was too undecisive, was thinking kick, run, then kick again. Needed to just make a decision and just back himself and we probably score regardless of the option he took. He was a bit like that last night though, couple of forward and mistimed passes, probably spent too much time looking for the kick considering how successful it has been recently. I think JAC took the wrong option to begin with though, should've hit Flanagan on his inside who could've then linked up with Jake and probably scored next to the post. JAC didn't have the view we had on the broadcast though so it was probably just a decision between Flanagan and Burton for him and you're obviously backing Burtons pace over Flanagans :tearsofjoy:
Yeh, I thought the pass from JAC should of gone back inside, we had more support on the inside.
I just think Burton doesn't realise how much of a big man he is sometimes, I reckon he would of launched Laurie with a strong aggressive fend, we see it all the time in the NRL.

Also the Allen break, I don't think he knew Kiraz was catching up on the right. Missed chances, but to be fair we also took our chances and scored some good tries. The Averillo try from dummy half shows his confidence has shot up, that was Tedesco like. He's going to be scoring a lot of tries for us Jake if he keeps the no.1 shirt.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rueben Garrick should be on the wing cause he was dally m winger of the year last year
Except NSW already have wingers. Our first and second choice centres are out (Wighton, Latrell, Turbo) so it’s only natural to play someone that’s in form and able to play centre.

Staggs did nothing in Game 1 and deserved to be dropped. He got hooked for Crichton during the match.

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Staggs did nothing in Origin 1 and went off with an injury he could have played through.

Out of all of the moronic selections Fittler made, Burton isn't one of them.. Players like Gutherson, McLean, Radley, Talakai, Tupou, Suaali, Martin etc somehow getting picked in the squad is what people should be questioning.
Your a doctor are you he’s not one there favourites Stephen Crichton was rubbish in origin 1 how does he get another

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your a doctor are you he’s not one there favourites Stephen Crichton was rubbish in origin 1 how does he get another
Liam Martin says hi...he was the worst of the lot!

QLD 3-0 looking a load up moral.

daisy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Liam Martin says hi...he was the worst of the lot!

QLD 3-0 looking a load up moral.
I know Liam Martin he did say hi I’ll go 4-0 and Fittler will be the coach here next year

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know Liam Martin he did say hi I’ll go 4-0 and Fittler will be the coach here next year
If so our club is cooked. Fittler is a shocking coach. This is the same coach that got lapped by a QLD C side with Brenko Lee in the centres and every other scrub in the side...

Martin should be nowhere near an origin side,

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So do we play the sharks missing burton? Which means that sharks will be missing hydnes and Talakai
Burto will probably play, hynes will definitely play. not sure about talakai though, see how many minutes he gets but i'd assume he plays as its a 6 day turn around

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m glad for Burto.
Was likely to happen at some point.
But I’m doubly glad it’s Origin II as being a Sunday game there’s no other footy next week, so he doesn’t miss a game for us and then he gets a full weeks rest before we play the Sharts. Lap it up young man…
If/when he gets picked for Origin 3 though its a 4 day back up as we play on the Sunday. hopefully Burto comes out unscathed and backs up against the bunnies

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeh, I thought the pass from JAC should of gone back inside, we had more support on the inside.
I just think Burton doesn't realise how much of a big man he is sometimes, I reckon he would of launched Laurie with a strong aggressive fend, we see it all the time in the NRL.

Also the Allen break, I don't think he knew Kiraz was catching up on the right. Missed chances, but to be fair we also took our chances and scored some good tries. The Averillo try from dummy half shows his confidence has shot up, that was Tedesco like. He's going to be scoring a lot of tries for us Jake if he keeps the no.1 shirt.
Burton needs to start using his size similar to the way Munster and Tom do, he can create opportunities off that alone and it's better than Flanagan turning the ball under for a forward for the third time in a set haha. He probably could've pushed away from Laurie if he tried and has probably done similar during his time at Penrith when at centre.

I knew Jake had it in him, a bit of confidence and all of a sudden it's all coming together. He could've ended up scoring 4+ tries last night if the ball made it to him on a few occasions. The best part is his energy since he has moved to fullback and his defence, he isn't a liability and actually looks good in some areas. He probably still hasn't been tested enough under the high ball but that's something that can be improved on in a single preseason.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton needs to start using his size similar to the way Munster and Tom do, he can create opportunities off that alone and it's better than Flanagan turning the ball under for a forward for the third time in a set haha. He probably could've pushed away from Laurie if he tried and has probably done similar during his time at Penrith when at centre.

I knew Jake had it in him, a bit of confidence and all of a sudden it's all coming together. He could've ended up scoring 4+ tries last night if the ball made it to him on a few occasions. The best part is his energy since he has moved to fullback and his defence, he isn't a liability and actually looks good in some areas. He probably still hasn't been tested enough under the high ball but that's something that can be improved on in a single preseason.
I know inside the club they rate Jake highly. Hope he makes the Fullback positions his own for the next 5-10 years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I know inside the club they rate Jake highly. Hope he makes the Fullback positions his own for the next 5-10 years.
Yup, would be great if he nails it because we've then got Averillo (21), Burton (22) and Mahoney (24) in key positions that have the potential to be long serving players.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Bro, IF Jake is guaranteed the full-back role next season then I think give him a pre-season to train for that role and he comes back as the most improved player for the dogs next season. He'll be a fucking gun considering the past 2 seasons he has been training for the halves.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury star Matt Burton has been named in the NSW State of Origin side.
The Daily Telegraph has been told Burton will be chosen at centre when the Blues team is released at 7pm on Sunday.

He will replace Broncos centre Kotoni Staggs, who has been dropped.

Burton’s ability to play in the halves gave him a decisive edge.

NSW will field a new centre combination with Stephen Crichton to be selected for his first starting game at Origin level.
Well done and good luck Burto !