News Burton 'the one' as Bulldogs eye Knights

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he kicks those big high floaters, FBs are shutting themselves…imagine if our lazy arsed players actually chased the kick?

But he’s been playing with Flamingo too long and kicks too many end over end numpty kicks

He can’t do shit in attack cos he only gets sloppy floater passes
His 4th tackle options are poor. Always runs it or passes to a forward for a settler.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When he kicks those big high floaters, FBs are shutting themselves…imagine if our lazy arsed players actually chased the kick?

But he’s been playing with Flamingo too long and kicks too many end over end numpty kicks

He can’t do shit in attack cos he only gets sloppy floater passes
Ain’t no chance of our back line catching the bombs and scoring a try from it. That is 2 things that they can’t do. Hold the ball and score points!

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
So if we lose he's going to blame Burton and Dufty for not lifting enough. LOL

How about he name JMK and Flanagan as having just as much responsibility.

How about he admit he needs to change something with his coaching because it's so obvious we've changed nothing about our attack from last year (besides the players). Is it seriously all up to the players and not his f..ked tactics ? He's not even capable of getting our players in numbers to run in support of the ball carrier. F..king useless.
Hi Bradtalo

Funny you made the point about our poor support play.

I was just thinking about that earlier today - our support play, or more correctly lack of it.

When a team is going well and there's a break or half break, there are support players following through in numbers.

An example (and I am not JMK fan) were a couple of breaks he made last night. People say he never looks to pass - and that may be true to an extent. But mostly there are no support players anywhere near him who he could pass to.

The good teams would make something out of those breaks but we don't or can't.

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I'd cop 5 absolute shellackings in a row by all lower-tier teams missing their key players if it means Baz gets shown the door.

The man cannot coach. This team should be doing better than it currently is, simple.
Well the first was when Canberra without Wighton beat us easily last week.

The second was last night by Newcastle - the then last placed team missing Frizell and Gayguy - both current origin players. We never looked like winning that game.

Only 3 shellacking to go ...

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Bradtalo

Funny you made the point about our poor support play.

I was just thinking about that earlier today - our support play, or more correctly lack of it.

When a team is going well and there's a break or half break, there are support players following through in numbers.

An example (and I am not JMK fan) were a couple of breaks he made last night. People say he never looks to pass - and that may be true to an extent. But mostly there are no support players anywhere near him who he could pass to.

The good teams would make something out of those breaks but we don't or can't.
Hi RookieDog,

You should read the post on here from earlier this week called "An article worth sharing" particularly the bit below. When we beat the Roosters it was all about JAC's effort. Basically the whole game (and every game) we attack with zero push supports (players running in support or decoys)

"That brings us to the Bulldogs. It’s not a surprise that they’re bad at attacking at this stage, because it’s been done to death that they had the highest completion rate but scored the fewest tries in the NRL last year. Watching back, however, it’s clear that they really don’t bother that much with trying to make the opposition think.

They had five sets with zero push supports at all – no other side went more than one set without any – and even managed several with one or none when in good ball. In the half studied, they had 41 opposition half play-the-balls and 25 inside 20m play-the-balls, but failed to ask any tough questions of the Roosters’ defence.

As Cronulla have an agile pack, so the Dogs have a big, slow one. That’s not necessarily bad – Tevita Pangai Junior, Paul Vaughan and Luke Thompson are all good at what they do – but it does look quite exposed in this model.

If you were wondering why their halfbacks never get any good ball, the fact that the defence always knows exactly where the footy is going might go a long way to explaining it.

The study in itself was an interesting exercise in why rugby league needs an xG model – discussed at length here – because Souths scored one try and created four, whereas the Dogs scored two and created next to nothing. There was no question about who attacked better"

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Hi RookieDog,

You should read the post on here from earlier this week called "An article worth sharing" particularly the bit below. When we beat the Roosters it was all about JAC's effort. Basically the whole game (and every game) we attack with zero push supports (players running in support or decoys)

"That brings us to the Bulldogs. It’s not a surprise that they’re bad at attacking at this stage, because it’s been done to death that they had the highest completion rate but scored the fewest tries in the NRL last year. Watching back, however, it’s clear that they really don’t bother that much with trying to make the opposition think.

They had five sets with zero push supports at all – no other side went more than one set without any – and even managed several with one or none when in good ball. In the half studied, they had 41 opposition half play-the-balls and 25 inside 20m play-the-balls, but failed to ask any tough questions of the Roosters’ defence.

As Cronulla have an agile pack, so the Dogs have a big, slow one. That’s not necessarily bad – Tevita Pangai Junior, Paul Vaughan and Luke Thompson are all good at what they do – but it does look quite exposed in this model.

If you were wondering why their halfbacks never get any good ball, the fact that the defence always knows exactly where the footy is going might go a long way to explaining it.

The study in itself was an interesting exercise in why rugby league needs an xG model – discussed at length here – because Souths scored one try and created four, whereas the Dogs scored two and created next to nothing. There was no question about who attacked better"
Thanks Bradtalo - good read. I hadn't seen that before - appreciate your pasting it in your post.

That part about us failing to ask any tough questions of the defence is so true.

I remember back in 2016 when we were due to play Penrith in week 1 of the finals, there was an interview with a Penrith player who said they were glad to be playing the Bulldogs because you know exactly what you're going to get.

It really gave me the sh!ts to hear that - probably because there was a lot of truth in it.

I actually went out to that game which I recall we led early. Penrith then got out to something like a 6 or 8 point lead and I knew there was no coming back for us because we just didn't have enough points in us.

Just too predictable and not challenging the defence.

We ended up losing pretty badly 28-12.

From the article you posted above, seems like not a lot has changed doesn't it? The whole point is for the defence to not know what the attacking team is going to do, right?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bradtalo - good read. I hadn't seen that before - appreciate your pasting it in your post.

That part about us failing to ask any tough questions of the defence is so true.

I remember back in 2016 when we were due to play Penrith in week 1 of the finals, there was an interview with a Penrith player who said they were glad to be playing the Bulldogs because you know exactly what you're going to get.

It really gave me the sh!ts to hear that - probably because there was a lot of truth in it.

I actually went out to that game which I recall we led early. Penrith then got out to something like a 6 or 8 point lead and I knew there was no coming back for us because we just didn't have enough points in us.

Just too predictable and not challenging the defence.

We ended up losing pretty badly 28-12.

From the article you posted above, seems like not a lot has changed doesn't it? The whole point is for the defence to not know what the attacking team is going to do, right?
No worries RookieDog. I remember that semi final against the Panthers too. We were leading at half time and the TV camera in the dressing room showed Des giving the team a real spray. Then we collapsed in the 2nd half which made me think whatever Des said had completely the opposite effect and thus he had lost the dressing room and it was downhill from here with him as coach - which turned out to be true. The writing was on the wall

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
No worries RookieDog. I remember that semi final against the Panthers too. We were leading at half time and the TV camera in the dressing room showed Des giving the team a real spray. Then we collapsed in the 2nd half which made me think whatever Des said had completely the opposite effect and thus he had lost the dressing room and it was downhill from here with him as coach - which turned out to be true. The writing was on the wall
Thanks bradtalo.

I remember we led the game but I hadn't realised we held the lead at half time. From what you wrote, maybe it would have been better if half time hadn't arrived. I definitely remember watching the second half as we got further and further behind. From recollection, we got a late try (I think Sam Perrett scored in his final game for the Dogs) so the 28-12 score line, as bad as it was, flattered us.

I was offered the ticket by someone from work and although I had originally intended not to buy my own ticket I said OK I'll go. As it all fell apart in the second half, I actually really regretted going and I remember sitting there in the grandstand thinking "I wish I wasn't here"

Pretty sad to think that was our last semi final appearance to date and it was 2016. Way too long ago.

RookieDog

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks bradtalo.

I remember we led the game but I hadn't realised we held the lead at half time. From what you wrote, maybe it would have been better if half time hadn't arrived. I definitely remember watching the second half as we got further and further behind. From recollection, we got a late try (I think Sam Perrett scored in his final game for the Dogs) so the 28-12 score line, as bad as it was, flattered us.

I was offered the ticket by someone from work and although I had originally intended not to buy my own ticket I said OK I'll go. As it all fell apart in the second half, I actually really regretted going and I remember sitting there in the grandstand thinking "I wish I wasn't here"

Pretty sad to think that was our last semi final appearance to date and it was 2016. Way too long ago.

RookieDog
I'm sure many Dogs fans have felt similar at our games the last few years. I spew over wasting time just watching the games on "TV"

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I'm sure many Dogs fans have felt similar at our games the last few years. I spew over wasting time just watching the games on "TV"
Yeah - same for me re the TV games.

Years gone by, I would never miss going out to see a Dogs home game live + travelled to most away Sydney games.

Also travelled to Canberra, Brisbane etc etc.

Now I am deliberating whether I even turn the game on TV on Friday night.

It's at Leichhardt which is about 15 minutes from home for me, but I never even had a thought of going to the game.

I hope things turn around because I miss going out to games to see my team play proper football.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah - same for me re the TV games.

Years gone by, I would never miss going out to see a Dogs home game live + travelled to most away Sydney games.

Also travelled to Canberra, Brisbane etc etc.

Now I am deliberating whether I even turn the game on TV on Friday night.

It's at Leichhardt which is about 15 minutes from home for me, but I never even had a thought of going to the game.

I hope things turn around because I miss going out to games to see my team play proper football.
I really think if we appoint Flanagan things will turn around next year and games will be worth attending or watching again. If he can't get the best out of his own son then no-one can. If Junior doesn't cut the mustard I believe Senior would also still drop him. He wouldn't damage his own career for the sake of his son. He might give him a few more weeks than he deserves in first grade but that would be it. Flano helped build the Sharks from shit to a powerhouse. We need someone to do exactly the same with us. No inexperienced coach could do such. I fear if we select someone else it's going to be more of the same we've had the last few years but surely Gus has the brains to know Flano is the right man for the job. Hope we get Ennis as an assistant also