Burton is not worth big dollars

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy has zero vision, has no creativity to fool defenses and a mediocre kicking game. All he does is bomb and grubber.

Has not put one player through a hole this year.

Didn't step up at all today.

I'm not convinced he's our long term 5/8th solution.
Did you only realise this today? I noticed it round 5 last year

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still young give him a few more years he will be fine.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think he is a 5/8 every day of the week he just had a bad game. Last week he was brilliant and to all saying he doesn’t put players through gaps last week he sent Wilson flying for a try.
Burton is not our issue it’s our on line defense.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy has zero vision, has no creativity to fool defenses and a mediocre kicking game. All he does is bomb and grubber.

Has not put one player through a hole this year.

Didn't step up at all today.

I'm not convinced he's our long term 5/8th solution.
The sooner we move on from him, we will start our rebuild.

I feel keeping him in the halves and trying to build the team around him is a mistake.

It was an idea, and fair enough, but it's turned out to be a mistake.

The only stupidity now would be to compound that mistake with persisting with it.

Let's cut our losses, move him to centre and if he wants out, negotiate out of it.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha deadset . Guy plays good (or like a half ) once every 5/6 games and people still defend him .
Last year everyone blames jmk for his performance . This year was flanno and with flanno gone it’s the teams defence .
Face it guy is a centre and a dud half/ five eighth

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine our team without him. You blokes are kidding yourself. Wouldn’t be happy with prime Andrew Johns in the lineup
Wrong. Without him, we look elsewhere.
You are narrow minded my friend.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Haha deadset . Guy plays good (or like a half ) once every 5/6 games and people still defend him .
Last year everyone blames jmk for his performance . This year was flanno and with flanno gone it’s the teams defence .
Face it guy is a centre and a dud half/ five eighth
Exactly.

All I have heard is "he was good last week", last week doesn't mean shit this week, or next week or the week after.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JT would look like puss in our current team.
Please don't disrespect champions (or Immortals) of the game just to prove a point.

Guys like Johns and Thurston single handedly transformed some shit performing teams like ours into competitive top 8 teams.

Burton is just not in the same class.

Even Shuster is more consistent

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s becoming painfully obvious the club have 1. overpaid him on potential he may never fulfil 2. Put too much responsibility on his shoulders making him a captain and 3. Seem to proud to be exploring a plan B. If a marquee 5/8 came to market i doubt the club would pursue, it appears they have put all the eggs in the Burto basket.
I've been saying for afew years now...
I was a fan of his signing as I thought I saw some un-harnessed talent there in the few games he filled in at halves for Penrith.

But i quickly realised he simply won't live up to the hype. Certainly not in the halves.

We took a chance (fair enough) but it hasn't worked out. Like you, I seriously wonder how long will the club persist with the mistake?

Munster can come onto the market at 600k and we will still turn out back.

It pains me to say this but I honestly reckon Mbye gave us more for less....

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've been saying for afew years now...
I was a fan of his signing as I thought I saw some unarnessed talent there in the few games he filled in at halves for Penrith.

But i quickly realised he simply won't live up to the hype. Certainly not in the halves.

We took a chance (fair enough) but it hasn't worked out. Like you, I seriously wonder how long will the club persist with the mistake?

Munster can come onto the market at 600k and we will still turn out back.

It pains me to say this but I honestly reckon Mbye gave us more for less....
Comparing him to Mbye is going way too far.. Seriously...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Burton’s a gun. Has created most of our points this year. The issue with you guys is he’s a running/ play making five eighth and you all want him to be an organising halfback. He’s literally the only genuine quality spine player we have.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he is a 5/8 every day of the week he just had a bad game. Last week he was brilliant and to all saying he doesn’t put players through gaps last week he sent Wilson flying for a try.
Burton is not our issue it’s our on line defense.
To be honest, even the passes to Wilson last week weren't the greatest.....

They worked but they weren't as clinical as they could be.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He let in half the trys. Had the guy stood up as our marquee players we wouldn't be so bad. His kicking game is atrocious. Even Grub had better kick placement than him.
I have to agree with you with our marquee players. They aren't stepping up. They are probably making more mistakes or bad decisions than most players. They should be standing out amongst everyone else but they are only for the wrong reasons.

Compare Bronco's marquee Adam Reynolds, absolutely stands above the rest and controls the game. I know he has more experience but if we are paying similar dollars for our marquee's then we aren't getting the value out of them.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 5 years he will be the best 6 in the comp. Halves take the longest to develop. Look at SJ, Cody walker, etc.

but today was disappointing

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly.

All I have heard is "he was good last week", last week doesn't mean shit this week, or next week or the week after.
The frequency of his better games (or should I say the in-frequency) is the problem.

He produces once in every 5 or 6 games and that's just not t good enough.