Burton is just a centre (March 23)

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Burton shows maturity beyond his age and is still learning the heavy duty big time.
Instead of the bomb maybe he could long range kick with more chasing from our speedsters, f
I agree. Sick of his bullshit mid field bombs that do fuck all.

1 out of his 20 bombs actually work. We need long kicks in our half and grubbers in the red zone.

Also, fuck off with the shit short drop outs.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score

1 out of his 20 bombs actually work. We need long kicks in our half and grubbers in the red zone.

Isnt he supposed to kick to the far corner so we can get down there and push them out?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
He's not a halfback but at the same time, our forwards are piss weak.

When we had the likes of Shrek, Mason, Price and Asotasi in our forward packs, this allowed the likes of Sherwin and Anasta and lesser extent JT plenty of time on the ball do what they need.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our forward pack sucks no matter who we put out there they will struggle I do agree thou Burton is centre at best

blah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Burtons best kick last week was on where he just drove it all the way down the field and almost ended in a 40-20 aswell. He’s got great long low kicks needs to use them more

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I see a left side of ..

6.Averillo …. speed, step passing and is elusive, Luai type.
4. Burton …. Dally M winning centre
5. JAC …. Enough said
11. Kikau .. best back rower in the game ..

That’s F***** very lethal.

Right side of

7. BBO/Trindall/ Rajab/
3. Xerri/Alamoti/Skelton
2. Kiraz
12. Preston

Also very lethal ..

Stick Crichton in the 1, say good bye to some over paid none productive players and spend their money on a shit load of muscle and we’re good to go …

We have the right players we have the wrong balance .. and we’re missing power up the middle ..

It’s not all doom and gloom.

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

I was surprised that the short goal line kicks became a fad.
But when you look, if the kick goes to halfway, they run it back to near the quarter anyway.
Kick it short and you may win the lottery.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who will be in the 7?

1. Burton
6. KO
7. ?
9. Mahoney

Flamingo proved he isn't a 7 so that leaves an injured BBO and maybe Rajab. Hayward is rubbish even in reserves.
Trindall - He is contracted at the Sharks but if he could see the straight path to first grade with us he would agitate for a release I’m sure.

He has a good kicking game and is a traditional game managing 7. He isn’t a superstar but we don’t need a superstar. We need a solid game manager to free Burton up to do what he does best. I believe his best would come at fullback. Trindall also wouldn’t cost the world.

The only external signings we need are two quality props and a halfback.

Axel_75

Waterboy
Reaction score

Seem to be scoring plenty of tries off his kicks. I agree it would be nice to see him kick long a lot more. I think it would make his bomb more effective also. We often have players offside and can't take advantage when the ball is left to bounce. Players need to be clear when he is going to bomb. The short drop outs worked well against Parra.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burto forced some bad passes against the Warriors and was way too passive once again. It was his worst game in a while and he was forcing things at the wrong times.. But some of his games since he moved to halfback have shown positive signs. He's yet to put it all together..

Of course playing behind our average pack and Perham killing plays doesn't help but Burton isn't playing well enough plain and simple. Eventually he has to be more assertive and get 3-4 touches a set at times. We can't just wait til tackle 5 and put an average bomb up.. There has to be more involvement and variation. Again, that needs to come from Burton challenging himself and the coaching staff challenging him and demanding more.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But when you look, if the kick goes to halfway, they run it back to near the quarter anyway.
Hasler was doing it 10 years ago :p lol

If you kick it short well it’s a 50/50 contest (maybe not against the warriors because they have perfected the tap back). But you kick it 50m and 95 times out of 100 the other team catches it and runs it back to the 30. The times they don’t they might knock it on or stuff up the play the ball. With the short kick you might get the ball back 1-2 times a game which is way more than you’d get if you go long. Problem is how many try’s or repeat sets come after a short kick compared to a long one…..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
If you can defend the line go for it, we have the worst defence in the league. Last thing we need is a lottery.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton’s a centre then we don’t have a half at the club lol
Lol

Reality check don’t have a NRL level half at the club. We 100% don’t have a halfback.

Burton’s got all the natural ability to develop into a great 5/8 but put all the current 6’s up and he is in the bottom half of that list.

I don’t want to knock Burton because I feel it’s the club that have let him down with recruitment around him and stunted his development hugely. Making him play a role that he isn’t suited to. If he had an NRL standard 7 playing with him week in week out. He would be in the Origin conversation with Luai & Hynes to be the origin 6.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We sure don't have a FG half at the club. That's why Gus approached Hunt last year. He should approach him again tomorrow.
Have to ask mate, Hunt doesn’t seem to be doing much good directing around a bigger more powerful team than ours at the moment.

Is he worth shelling out big dollars for at his age ?

Are you sure we don’t already have the talent we need inside the club and maybe that talent just isn’t being utilised in the right positions?

I’ll use Roosters as an example, they should be pushing for top spot, instead they’re outside the 8, the reason for that is Robinson doesn’t have the best players in their best positions, you watch them start kicking ass again when his ego relents and he moves them all back to their best positions again.

Do we have our players playing in their best positions ?

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Have to ask mate, Hunt doesn’t seem to be doing much good directing around a bigger more powerful team than ours at the moment.

Is he worth shelling out big dollars for at his age ?

Are you sure we don’t already have the talent we need inside the club and maybe that talent just isn’t being utilised in the right positions
Don't get me wrong, Hunt is the most plausible option. I have faith BBO can do the job as he was supposed to be partnering Burton until he got injured.

I don't mind Hunt as he is an established FGer who can take some pressure off Burton/KO. Won't lose sleep if we don't get him tbh

But it all might result to nothing behind our backwards.