Burton is a half

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it may be the other way around.

Burton was a 5/8 but Cleary ruined his development by turning him into a centre after he signed with us.

He was really good at playing centre but at the cost of his development as a half.

He is finally catching up on lost time and developing into the 5/8 he should have been to begin with.
Thats an interesting perspective. It actually makes a lot of sense too.
He also needed a better, more experienced team around him.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Burton was a 5/8 but Cleary ruined his development by turning him into a centre after he signed with us.

He was really good at playing centre but at the cost of his development as a half.

He is finally catching up on lost time and developing into the 5/8 he should have been to begin with.
Could be right too bro, he’s still very young and there is a lot of development in him, either way it’s a win for us if he stays on this path.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

1000% this

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s coming into his own. I have been critical of him, but he’s really standing up this year. It helps that kikz, critta and xeri are absolute weapons. They’re giving permission to run on both sides of the ruck, so we’ll begin to see critta, presto and Kiraz start to really gain momentum

We need a proper half though, but maybe he’ll evolve into a Thurston type half, instinctive but still has that ability to get the team to certain spots in the field

Big_Kahunas

Waterboy
Reaction score
He is getting better each week. I can't believe how good his goal kicking was from the week before. Kicking them straighter and less hook.

He is looking more dangerous now with better support players around him - Kikau, Tracey and Xerri. He then has the option to go himself or send a cut out pass to Fox or go behind to Tracey. Or he can hit a hard runner in Kikau or Xerri. We can really set up some good plays with this combo. Really good to see how it goes against the panthers.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a few reasons for Burton's uptick in form lately. First is Hutcho has helped him, while Hutch is not the best half I think having an experienced player in halves with Burton has taken a lot more pressure and stress off him. Second he's finally had consecutive games with his left edge that has helped built combinations and it's also the first time Burton has had 2 strike players outside him - Kikau and Xerri.

Just need to hope they all stay healthy and continue building combinations. I love the way Xerri just bursts onto the ball. He looks like he's going to break the line every time he gets it. Can't remember the last time we ever had a strike player this likely at the Dogs - maybe JMoz early days?

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I was glad he obviously practiced goalkicking since the previous match where we lost by a goal when he got 1/3. Hes also improving in attack

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, halves and props develop later than outside backs or second rowers. The other thing that should be considered is that Burton is immature as a person. I think CC gave him the captaincy last year in an attempt to force him to grow up, but it didn't really work. What I have seen this year is that maybe he is starting to mature as a person.

I am a Burton fan, and not because of what he does in games but because of his potential as a player, when we are the team we will be. We would never have won the comp last year or even this year, it is the future we are investing in.

Some people have a problem with Burton and believe he doesn't have the skills, potential or capability to be more than the player he was last year. They don't see his improvement this year because that would include admitting they were wrong.

I hope Burton continues to develop, improves his consistency, and finds his voice on the field. Whether that results in those people finally admitting they are wrong, who cares, because its about the results on the field.

Oh and I have seen some admit they were wrong, or start to acknowledge they may have been. This is about those that still refuse to believe that he has improved from last year. Oh and I am not saying that he is the finished product, far from it. But I hope that he will continue to develop as the year goes on.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Round 7 Team of the Week

6. Matt Burton (Bulldogs)
The Bulldogs' five-eighth pinned Newcastle into the corner with another stellar game with the boot, punting the ball 383 metres on Sunday night. Burton also came up with a momentum shifting 40/20 in the 17th minute and provided plenty of spark in attack with two tackle breaks.

Always a Bulldog

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton had that element of untouchability in the 5/8 role despite him underperforming because real supporters knew he has the attributes in his arsenal. His boot is phenomenal, placement has been elite in culmination to his goal kicking and ability to kick 40/20s his special. Had utter garbage outside him now that he’s surrounded by quality, players willing to go that extra yard his running game and selection in play is coming to fruition.

Critta as captain has set a standard, down the line I think Burton will be the man. Always said it’s 5/8 or nothing second you throw him into the centres the mind fuck would kill him. Glad his proven me & many others wrong, never called him a centre though just to timid haha.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was glad he obviously practiced goalkicking since the previous match where we lost by a goal when he got 1/3. Hes also improving in attack
Everyone misses from that AAMI park sideline. From last season his shown he can nail those sideline ones regularly.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was that after calling us haters? I don't keep track of insults lol
Nothing wrong with saying he was one of the worst players in our team for the majority of career and then acknowledging his growth the last few weeks. Thekennel can’t seem to handle that you can do both lmao but they waited two years for this to happen so I suppose they were edgy. I still think he has to play like this for more than 2.5 weeks to get the full suck off and I hope he does for all of our sakes

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with saying he was one of the worst players in our team for the majority of career and then acknowledging his growth the last few weeks. Thekennel can’t seem to handle that you can do both lmao but they waited two years for this to happen so I suppose they were edgy. I still think he has to play like this for more than 2.5 weeks to get the full suck off and I hope he does for all of our sakes
So the last two seasons were all on Burton?

Can you tell me when this team in the last two seasons have shown this sort of defensive effort week in week out?

But Munster at 5/8 the last two years and I bet we still aren’t sniffing finals.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So the last two seasons were all on Burton?

Can you tell me when this team in the last two seasons have shown this sort of defensive effort week in week out?

But Munster at 5/8 the last two years and I bet we still aren’t sniffing finals.
That’s not what I said.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s not what I said.
Probably not but you implied that Burton has been rubbish for 2 and a half seasons for us. Our whole squad has been rubbish the last two seasons leaking points like it’s going out of fashion.
Im really enjoying watching this team play for each other week in week out this season and it doesn’t matter who is in the 17 they all have a crack. Except Potato his body is killing him.