News Burton backflip: Panthers take aim in Dogs drive-by as star’s ‘second thoughts’ spark another tug of war

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Matt Burton saga is far from over.

After winning a feisty tug of war for his services this season, it seems Penrith hasn’t quite given up on the idea of their young star staying for a little longer.

After Burton signed a contract with Canterbury from next season, the undefeated Panthers made sure he stayed in Penrith for the current campaign, and now Penrith chief executive Brian Fletcher has delivered a shot at the Bulldogs in a statement of intent from the league leaders.

“For his development and his future, he would be far better staying with us next year,” Fletcher told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“He’s a young bloke and his future would be assured here. He will keep climbing the ladder with us. I don’t know if that will be the case at the Bulldogs.

“One player can’t win games on his own.”

Burton agreed a two-year deal with the Bulldogs from 2022, but according to the Herald, the Panthers feel the 21-year-old is having “second thoughts” about leaving at the end of the year. Not everyone at the club is reportedly “comfortable” with the idea of a Burton backflip.

The Herald reports Burton’s deal with the Bulldogs is worth $450,000 in 2022 and $500,000 in 2023 and that Penrith would, at very least, need to match that offer.

For Burton to renege on his Bulldogs deal, he would have to be granted a release by Canterbury.

“They [Bulldogs] wanted him to break his contract this year and had conversations with him about it,” Fletcher added.

“We just want the same opportunity to have the conversations with him now.

“He’s only young. His career wouldn’t have gone ahead as far if we hadn’t looked after him and developed him.”
OK Penrith, you can have him back, but we want a $10M transfer fee.

Another one of these stories just to stick the knife in & move it around a little. Who's the author? Put your name to it!

Bluebarry

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I hope our CEO keeps his balls on this one , ffs he better not let him stay

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wow, you guys need to relax.....
You're right ... Burton is a young country kid who just loves to play football and already shut down initial rumour by confirming he will be at the Dogs.

It's hard not to get angry, when a stupid dumb fuck CEO like Fletcher should know better than to be stupid enough to get sucked in by the media and publicly come out with such a stupid statement considering he has greater knowledge of contractual obligations between all parties than a young man like Burton.

He has probably only just realised how good Burton is and is attempting to use media to sway Burton who is young, perhaps vulnerable and may be somewhat naive enough to change his mind whilst he's enjoying success on the field and get caught up with the love shown from his club and fans.

Media will love nothing more than circulating damaging headlines to inflict more pain and division towards our club, damaging our recruitment drive and all this conveniently on the eve of our game we are preparing and desperate to get our first win of the season.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, what was their response to our early release request???

I think it went something like this.....

He is contracted to us & he will be seeing that contract out - Right back at you, you big arogant Pussy Cats!!!!

Unfortunately for them, during their current run of success those scumbags have forgotten one important life rule...

- What goes around, comes around & the world turns.

Theirs will be coming around soon enough and the harder they push, the harder the karma gods will eventually push back.

Last edited:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
They "feel" that he may have "second thoughts"?????? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha..........

That's it! I'm going into work on Monday morning, hand in my resignation and begin my career as a journo.
First lesson in Journo training is to ask the person you are interviewing "How do you feel about.....?"

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I bloody hope Burton's Manager comes out in the next 24 hours with a statement and puts an end to this absolute bullshit ... it pisses me off that the same people in the media who were advocating the importance of a honouring a contract have suddenly become flippant and entertaining the idea that Burton should ask for a release.
Bulldogs fan here : issue is the manager would make more money if the backflip was to happen . Burton would get more money from Penrith to stay . And manager cut goes up. It’s just slimey from Penrith because they are being ripped apart because of salary cap issues. They will choke again this year. Storm will get them again

FatDogSlim

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If he wants to stay there then let him stay. Let’s just focus on developing our juniors till they hit 1st grade even if we have to suck for a while longer .

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If the media had it their way we would never sign any talented players to ensure we stay on the bottom of the table so they can keep putting the boot in year after year. I have never seen this constant attempt at sabotage directed at any other club. Fuck Im sick of us being the whipping boys for these germs
Don't forget the campaign to derail coach signing as well.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he wants to stay there then let him stay. Let’s just focus on developing our juniors till they hit 1st grade even if we have to suck for a while longer .
He can stay if the Panthers give us Luai or Cleary instead. If not piss off Penrith, and if Burton wants to sook enjoy playing for Mounties for all I care. But I'm yet to see a quote from his camp saying he wants to stay

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That is a defeatist attitude and it is this attitude of bending to the will of others that has seen our once great club wallow as NRL cellar dwellers these past few years. Our current situation and lack of roster foresight / talent....paying overs for fringe first graders, panic buying has been self imposed and detrimental to our future. Burton is a much needed contracted player and our future.....a player we can build a team around. We have a signed contract that has been registered and signed off on by the NRL starting from 2022....they Penrith have a current dwindling contract that expires at the end of the current season. We are in the box seat for Burtons services and legally Penrith don't have a cup to piss in!!! So NO !!! No more bending over to appease rival clubs for the sake of friendship or a show of mutual respect, no more pandering to the media. It's time to play hardball and stand firm......It's time to become the true Bullies of the NRL, it's time to push back!!! Enough is enough!!!

Last edited:

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah stay and play out of position for $600k and let that be the ceiling for your earnings or move to the club that your legally binded to next year and walk into the position you’ve trained your whole life for while getting paid more over the long term. Blokes just salty now
He was an outside back until coming to Panthers.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
IF it ever came down to Burton actually wanting to reneg (which I don't believe will ever happen) I would expect our club to stand firm especially after the Panthers refused to do us any favours. I'd rather see him unable to play for 3 years than let him stay and continue to help the Panthers. If the club bends over and gets f..ked again like we used to whenever a player requested to leave then the board should be thrown out immediately.
No favours? We gave you future immortal Sione Katoa!!!!