Burton absolutely killing it against the Roosters

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I think keeping Burton had fuck all to do with developing him as a player.
you do not discuss player swaps and have a player in reserve grade and then out of position in FG if you have his development in mind considering he is leaving at the end of the season

Penrith played hard ball and kept him... and the 'Dogs need to remember the lessons taught to us over the last couple seasons when it comes to moving on players

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Voss the king grub also said, don't leave referring to Burton staying with Penrith. He should give himself an uppercut.
And then afterwards he should slap himself for good measure too.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
THIS! No way Gus will let Burto even think about leaving. We’re gonna build a fucking dynasty on the back of Matt Burton.
I am not sure if it is accurate or not, but I read an article from last year stating that Gus was of the opinion that as great as the Panthers and their halves were going in 2020, the best kid coming up through their ranks was yet to be seen (ie. Burton)... and if someone associated with so many other clubs like Gus is (Panthers, Roosters, Warriors) and is as enamoured with the 'Dogs as Gus is (he has referred to us as the biggest club in Sydney, that it was a special club and encouraged players to spend at least part of their career in Belmore etc. before ever returning to the club as head of football), I think that will help with Burton --> big club, big fanbase, proud history, successful, off field opportunities etc.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haven’t watched any Penrith games at all? Does he have good ball playing skills / organization skills or is he a very good runner of the ball?

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Haven’t watched any Penrith games at all? Does he have good ball playing skills / organization skills or is he a very good runner of the ball?
Good ball player and out standing ball runner with a decent kicking game he’s a six for mine, at his best when someone else is running the play

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure if it is accurate or not, but I read an article from last year stating that Gus was of the opinion that as great as the Panthers and their halves were going in 2020, the best kid coming up through their ranks was yet to be seen (ie. Burton)... and if someone associated with so many other clubs like Gus is (Panthers, Roosters, Warriors) and is as enamoured with the 'Dogs as Gus is (he has referred to us as the biggest club in Sydney, that it was a special club and encouraged players to spend at least part of their career in Belmore etc. before ever returning to the club as head of football), I think that will help with Burton --> big club, big fanbase, proud history, successful, off field opportunities etc.
I hope and pray you are right.
I have faith in Gus, but remember, no matter how big a ct they became when they left us, he have lost players of the ilk of SBW, Mason & Barba…

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I remember reading a report that we'll try to extend him virtually as soon as he arrives. Hope that's true.

There isn't any doubt about him whatsoever. He's a future star. The earlier we extend him the less we'll pay
Wearing the headgear, with a distinctive running style, a step and a swerve, Burton is the closest thing I’ve seen to a young JT.

Hopefully it’s that scenario in reverse…wins a comp with his first club, leaves after the GF and goes on to be a superstar with the Dogs.

Dare to dream!

Reactions: 88

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burtons signature move is to step inside off his left foot... Can already see the tries coming in Blue n White.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope and pray you are right.
I have faith in Gus, but remember, no matter how big a ct they became when they left us, he have lost players of the ilk of SBW, Mason & Barba…
having Gould will HELP retain Burton but if we the same sort of results next season and a rival team offers Burton big money, he could/will leave

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was similar back in 83 when we signed Baa. Everyone seen his talent and fans wanted him extended before he even joined us.

Mind you back then the supporters sent letters and telegrams to each other to express their thoughts. And with Bullfrog at the helm we never had to worry

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He wont be in any rush to extend....he would be stupid too....he will be able to sit back and consider the multiple options he will have....if we aren’t competitive it will be see u later
Yep, he will be in for an upgrade... New Qld team and the roosters will be all over him

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I came on here to read Marley's positivity about this kid but.............nothing, really?

I think he still wants an experienced half....maybe Pearce?

tenor-19.gif