News BURTON’S DREAM COMPLETED EARLY

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BURTON’S DREAM COMPLETED EARLy

Matt Burton did not include an Origin debut let alone an Australian jumper when he sat down to write out his goals at the start of the year.

But the Bulldogs five-eighth is now on the verge of being part of the Kangaroos’ world cup squad as he pushes his case for selection in the PM’s XIII side to take on PNG on Sunday.

“I do usually set goals but I would not have thought I would’ve played in the PM’s match and I certainly didn’t think of the World Cup,” Burton said. “It wasn’t one of my goals but always something I wanted to reach. I didn’t expect to get picked in Origin so that was unreal.”

Burton is in the mix alongside Cronulla’s Nicho Hynes for a utility spot in Australia’s 24-man squad having shown his ability to handle the halves and centre roles. He only just met Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga this week when the players entered camp in Brisbane.

Burton has used his time away from the field to reflect on his first season at the Bulldogs.

“I thought of things I could work on,” Burton said. “Attacking more is the main one. I’ve come in from centre and changed to five-eighth.”

A World Cup appearance would delay Burton from reuniting with new Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo. The pair grew close during Burton’s time at Penrith and have spoken since Ciraldo’s appointment.

“It’s going to be great to have that stability at the club,” Burton said. “He is a smart man and will bring a lot. He is pretty up front with players and that’s what you want.

“I had a little chat to him a while back. It was when he signed and we had a chat about next year. “There wasn’t too much to it but I’m looking forward to meeting up with him in person.”

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BURTON’S DREAM COMPLETED EARLy

Matt Burton did not include an Origin debut let alone an Australian jumper when he sat down to write out his goals at the start of the year.

But the Bulldogs five-eighth is now on the verge of being part of the Kangaroos’ world cup squad as he pushes his case for selection in the PM’s XIII side to take on PNG on Sunday.

“I do usually set goals but I would not have thought I would’ve played in the PM’s match and I certainly didn’t think of the World Cup,” Burton said. “It wasn’t one of my goals but always something I wanted to reach. I didn’t expect to get picked in Origin so that was unreal.”

Burton is in the mix alongside Cronulla’s Nicho Hynes for a utility spot in Australia’s 24-man squad having shown his ability to handle the halves and centre roles. He only just met Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga this week when the players entered camp in Brisbane.

Burton has used his time away from the field to reflect on his first season at the Bulldogs.

“I thought of things I could work on,” Burton said. “Attacking more is the main one. I’ve come in from centre and changed to five-eighth.”

A World Cup appearance would delay Burton from reuniting with new Canterbury coach Cameron Ciraldo. The pair grew close during Burton’s time at Penrith and have spoken since Ciraldo’s appointment.

“It’s going to be great to have that stability at the club,” Burton said. “He is a smart man and will bring a lot. He is pretty up front with players and that’s what you want.

“I had a little chat to him a while back. It was when he signed and we had a chat about next year. “There wasn’t too much to it but I’m looking forward to meeting up with him in person.”
i like how he said attack is the main area to improve on. At least CC probably would of told him that’s where you need to improve on. I feel like if we don’t get injuries to our spine, we can definitely make the top 8, even it’s the bottom top 8

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slow play the balls and slow disruption by JMK at the wrong times and field position of the game put the breaks on many attacking opportunities for Burto. Hopefully the whole team improves next season and Burto can do more with the ball

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slow play the balls and slow disruption by JMK at the wrong times and field position of the game put the breaks on many attacking opportunities for Burto. Hopefully the whole team improves next season and Burto can do more with the ball
Mahoney is a fucking huuge boost.

We have not had a hooker with brains since Ennis.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
i like how he said attack is the main area to improve on. At least CC probably would of told him that’s where you need to improve on. I feel like if we don’t get injuries to our spine, we can definitely make the top 8, even it’s the bottom top 8
I'll reserve my aspirations for where we'll finish in 2023. Had too many disappointments over the years when it looked like we'd turned the corner.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well done to the lad. He’s had a good year and deserves his rep honours. I’d like to see him improve his short kicking game like Mitch Moses and passing running game like Cody walker.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Play for the Bulldogs, good things happen