Bulldogs with least players signed for 2021

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's see how they spend the remaining cap space for 2021 we suffered through three years for before we get excited about cap space for 2022.

You can have all the cap space in the world but it needs to be spent wisely and the long term spine positions need to be addressed once and for all.

We've had five years of stopgap halves, fullbacks and hookers and can't expect to be a finals team until the spine is sorted.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I'm still concerned that we will miss the boat and end up being forced to re-sign our current pot plants just to cover the 95% SC rule. They're certainly taking the gamble of waiting and hoping that quality comes onto the market late. OR there are some signed and waiting until season end to announce?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm still concerned that we will miss the boat and end up being forced to re-sign our current pot plants just to cover the 95% SC rule. They're certainly taking the gamble of waiting and hoping that quality comes onto the market late. OR there are some signed and waiting until season end to announce?
Personally I don’t think they are gambling on purpose. I think work is being done on signings they just haven’t been secured yet.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s a ‘traveller’ mate.
Very un-PC to use the G word these days.
Someone will be offended! :-).
I usually watch my p’s and q’s for that reason but my favourite boxer at the moment Tyson Fury goes by the alias “The Gypsy King” ... The term Gypsy has become complimentary in my view. Hopefully I don’t get a suspension for that comment :tearsofjoy:

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Who cares about 2022? What happened to the promise of 2021 ? Oh they did fuck all for
Years. Great. Let’s shift
The posts and forget those wonderful power points!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I usually watch my p’s and q’s for that reason but my favourite boxer at the moment Tyson Fury goes by the alias “The Gypsy King” ... The term Gypsy has become complimentary in my view. Hopefully I don’t get a suspension for that comment :tearsofjoy:
You’ll be fine mate. I’ve seen a lot worse! :-).

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bloody big risk involved with this. If we end up with players like Montoya, Holland or Lafai even for another year it will be disastrous. Those already signed are barely good enough in some cases.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Bloody big risk involved with this. If we end up with players like Montoya, Holland or Lafai even for another year it will be disastrous. Those already signed are barely good enough in some cases.
Unless your roster management is starting one year in advance this is what happens. The only catch then is if a player pops up or does better than you expect and changes your plans (e.g. If Burton was able to push Luai out of the Panthers side, their plan was always Cleary and Luai). It's just hard to see a plan from us (Barrett said in the interview the other day there was a plan, but still for me unless it involves being competitive for 2021, it isn't good enough for me, I'll obviously have to cop it), the timing of making a decision on the head coach didn't help at all. I'm really scared we're not able to recruit anyone that's going to make a difference (Cotric is a great signing, but he's a centre/winger and we obviously need more). We're not an attractive place to play for at all.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Unless your roster management is starting one year in advance this is what happens. The only catch then is if a player pops up or does better than you expect and changes your plans (e.g. If Burton was able to push Luai out of the Panthers side, their plan was always Cleary and Luai). It's just hard to see a plan from us (Barrett said in the interview the other day there was a plan, but still for me unless it involves being competitive for 2021, it isn't good enough for me, I'll obviously have to cop it), the timing of making a decision on the head coach didn't help at all. I'm really scared we're not able to recruit anyone that's going to make a difference (Cotric is a great signing, but he's a centre/winger and we obviously need more). We're not an attractive place to play for at all.
I really see another lost year in 21. Maybe some players pop up during the off season but who knows the quality, last 2 we signed Lafai and Napa weren't too great.

One of the only positives is players seem to like Barrett, as you say the place isn't that attractive overall but he is one positive which might secure some signatures.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Whatever we might be tempted to say about this or that player who is still signed, fact is that we still have quite a few spots open next year (7 I think?), and more open spots than any other team for the year after.

View attachment 16906
There's another way of looking at this graph.

The other teams have much more settled rosters and the good talent is tied up even further with long term contracts.

If we have any chance, buying time starts in 6 weeks for 2022 roster.

Next year could be just as hard, or even harder God forbid, to attract talent.

Hoping though ;)

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I really see another lost year in 21. Maybe some players pop up during the off season but who knows the quality, last 2 we signed Lafai and Napa weren't too great.

One of the only positives is players seem to like Barrett, as you say the place isn't that attractive overall but he is one positive which might secure some signatures.
I'm seeing 2021 as a lost year at this stage too the way it's going so far.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They promised a war chest but concentrated on retention,