Official Bulldogs vs Sharks Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Perfect match up to see the changes in attitude and defense structures, sharks throw plenty of attack at you.
Looking forward to this one!
yep last week was good to see footy back and the team get a run.
Now we actually get to see what the full strength first grade team will look like going into round 1 and what CC has in stall for us.
Excited and nervous at the same time lol

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe,I reckon Flanno might 80, perhaps he'll sub on for Burto

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A bit more impact off the bench would be a luxury.

This bench is experienced and choc full of hard workers.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
A bit more impact off the bench would be a luxury.

This bench is experienced and choc full of hard workers.
Preston is an impact player and so is Pele.

I think you may be getting too hung up on what number they are wearing in what is after all just a trial.

Always a Bulldog

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I must admit my biggest fear about Ciro coming to us was that he, like Barrett before him, would persist in trying to make us play like Penrith. This was Barrett's biggest mistake....having Jacko last year try to emulate Yeo, then relying on Averillo to be our everywhere man Cleary and guide us around and be the link to the edge forwards and outside backs. It was never gonna work and it was silly to try make it work.
Naming Thompson who isn't a ballplayer at lock indicates Ciro has a completely different vision to Barrett of how we should play in attack.
It's only natural to look at last years most successful teams to see how one should attack.
Roosters, Souths, Sharks and Eels all have players who can emulated Penriths Yeo but we don't.
Our attack will look more like Cowboys, with Thompson being another running forward and our 1, 6, 7 and 9 being the space creators.
This game will provide an interesting contrast of styles.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I must admit my biggest fear about Ciro coming to us was that he, like Barrett before him, would persist in trying to make us play like Penrith. This was Barrett's biggest mistake....having Jacko last year try to emulate Yeo, then relying on Averillo to be our everywhere man Cleary and guide us around and be the link to the edge forwards and outside backs. It was never gonna work and it was silly to try make it work.
Naming Thompson who isn't a ballplayer at lock indicates Ciro has a completely different vision to Barrett of how we should play in attack.
It's only natural to look at last years most successful teams to see how one should attack.
Roosters, Souths, Sharks and Eels all have players who can emulated Penriths Yeo but we don't.
Our attack will look more like Cowboys, with Thompson being another running forward and our 1, 6, 7 and 9 being the space creators.
Mahoney looked to be running the show last week.

Reminded me of Hodgson at Canberra a few years ago when he was the main playmaker. Hopefully it frees up Burton to run the ball more.

Love how direct/straight we played, going wide when we had space/numbers, instead of for the sake of it, as has been our norm for the last five or so years.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Reminded me of Hodgson at Canberra a few years ago when he was the main playmaker. Hopefully it frees up Burton to run the ball more.

Love how direct/straight we played, going wide when we had space/numbers, instead of for the sake of it, as has been our norm for the last five or so years.
There was a noticeable difference between our two sides against Raider. First side was a lot more direct like you mentioned whereas the second half time played a lot more side to side.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
he is playing the style that suits his players and thats how a good coach should coach. Eels also used mahoney and on the ball attack, with Moses and Brown usually getting it start from DH.If Burton can do this he will be deadly

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

He'll be the signing of the year.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Faiders are a flakey outfit, Ricky has been there 10 years and it’s still an inconsistent team.

Fitzgibbon is the real deal, his team is well drilled. It will be a early indication if we can match it with the sharts

Memberberries

Desball 4 life
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m gonna go to this match only because it’s being played at Belmore.
Haven’t been to Belmore since 1998 when the dogs beat the storm.

I still remember Craig Polla-Mounta’s try.
The pitch was that flooded, I’m surprised they didn’t send in the SES, to loan the teams inflated boats, to play the match on!

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any indication of ticket sales yet? I imagine it will be a pretty good crowd

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna go to this match only because it’s being played at Belmore.
Haven’t been to Belmore since 1998 when the dogs beat the storm.

I still remember Craig Polla-Mounta’s try.
The pitch was that flooded, I’m surprised they didn’t send in the SES, to loan the teams inflated boats, to play the match on!
Was that the night they had the basketball courts set up fpr a Dr Pepper promotion? My memory is crap but i thought the dogs lost