Bulldogs veteran Luke Patten says players deserve bigger slice of revenue pie

Status
Not open for further replies.

afghan4life

Beastwood
Reaction score
Bulldogs veteran Luke Patten says he understands why Karmichael Hunt has chased the dollars in AFL and believes NRL players deserve a bigger slice of the game's growing revenues.
Hunt's three-year deal with Gold Coast beginning in 2010 is reportedly worth $3 million as well as a six-month period of leave which would allow him to play rugby union overseas.

Patten said although he sees no threat from AFL he does believe rugby league players deserve an increase in the salary cap to help keep the top stars in the game.

“It's over-reacting to say we're under threat but having said that you don't want to be losing players to other codes obviously,'' Patten said.

“In the future (the salary cap) definitely should be looked at.

“With the new TV rights coming up as well, more money coming into the game, definitely players should be getting a bigger slice of the pie.

“That's something that needs to be looked at in the future for sure.''

Bulldogs coach Kevin Moore backed Patten and said as more money comes into the NRL, more should be invested in starving off the advances of other codes.

“Certainly, that's something the NRL have got to look at, along with the clubs,'' Moore said.

“Everyone has got to continue to try to grow the revenue streams within the game and the more the game can make, the more it can put back into players and I certainly think they deserve that.''

Hunt's defection has highlighted the battle the NRL has on its hands, with the proposed Western Sydney AFL franchise set to try and poach young athletes in what has traditionally been a rugby league heartland.

Patten recognises the talent pool which feeds his club could potentially dry up with the encroachment of a Western Sydney team.

He said the NRL needed to lift its games in promoting rugby league at a grassroots level.

“I guess there's a chance of that happening, especially if the Western Sydney AFL team comes in,'' Patten said.

“I think as the NRL as a whole, we can do more to get out there and push our game a little bit more.

“I heard John Cartwright say earlier in the year, that the State of Origin, I think it should be stand alone and that week the players who aren't involved in that should be going out and doing more the promote the game.

“I think it's a great idea and something that should be looked at.''

At training on Thursday, Moore said there were a number of Bulldogs players keeping an eye out for AFL scouts with some hoping to grab a Hunt-esque headline for themselves.

“I think a few of the boys were hoping the scouts were out here,'' Moore said.

“Andrew Ryan reckons he's got a pretty good AFL game, he announced to the boys at the start of training that he's got a tough decision to make in the next couple of weeks.''

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25858064-23209,00.html

d_eye

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if patten is talking about it, then the NRL need to work on this issue.
The bloke doesnt blow bubbles.

R

Ranga

“Andrew Ryan reckons he's got a pretty good AFL game, he announced to the boys at the start of training that he's got a tough decision to make in the next couple of weeks.''

afghan4life

Beastwood
Reaction score
lol
imagine that

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The General once ate a whole cake before his mates could tell him there was a stripper inside

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
“I heard John Cartwright say earlier in the year, that the State of Origin, I think it should be stand alone and that week the players who aren't involved in that should be going out and doing more the promote the game.

thank you very much, someone with a brain.

when will the nrl get there head out of there ass and give all teams the week off before origin and in return all clubs can visit school, hospitals, bush areas, do charity work and etc but no thats to hard for gallop to think of.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok lift the salary cap and start another big debate on how come there are clubs struggling but the game is rich.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok lift the salary cap and start another big debate on how come there are clubs struggling but the game is rich.
Because The Bulldogs have the right brain behind the curtain in Todd Greenburg who makes sure our club is financially secure.

I think we are the best financially secure club in Sydney.

LOL at the last paragraph. Good joke by Bobcat, he drops simple passes cold at times, let alone catching a ball above his head.(PS, this was not a bashing of Andrew Ryan).

On what Patten said, tell me why isn't he captain? more deserving than Ryan IMO.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What's Luke talking about about? He wants a bigger slice of something that does not exist :whacky:

The NRL have already been through this with, then the nrl showed him the numbers. In the end Mason was satifised that the nrl weren't holding back on them

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
I think they def deserve a pay rise... not heaps but the salary cap def needs 2 increase... IMO anyway.

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's Luke talking about about? He wants a bigger slice of something that does not exist :whacky:

The NRL have already been through this with, then the nrl showed him the numbers. In the end Mason was satifised that the nrl weren't holding back on them
News Limited pays the NRL what they think they are worth. News own the NRL. The question needs to be asked how much profit is News making out of the NRL and you will get to how much the NRL is really worth.

It is a conflict of interest

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The NRL pie is smaller than a lot of other codes, especially OS ones. The NRL cant pay the players the same as a sport that has many more fans funding it. Unless you charge twice as much or more for merchadise and tickets to games. Then that would push fans to other codes.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
News Limited pays the NRL what they think they are worth. News own the NRL. The question needs to be asked how much profit is News making out of the NRL and you will get to how much the NRL is really worth.

It is a conflict of interest
That's the problem.

What the NRL make and what News ltd make is different. The players have no say in whatever profit New ltd make from the NRL.

Which is why the sooner News give up the NRL, the better. *Hears Btrain nodding his head*

Status
Not open for further replies.