BULLDOGS UPGRADE

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We all know he meant Justin Holbrook....watch out for the Titans, they're are my smoky to make the 8 in 21. The thing that shits me is that we practically gift wrapped him for Meninga through our inaction at the time.
the titans have major queries around the halves IMO. Dont forget we did the same thing last year and the year before, when there was no pressure we performed.
In saying that, they have made some great signings in the forwards.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
the titans have major queries around the halves IMO. Dont forget we did the same thing last year and the year before, when there was no pressure we performed.
In saying that, they have made some great signings in the forwards.
Holbrook was able to unlock Taylor to a decent level last year (at least wasn't looking down on confidence like previous years). Fogarty was one of the surprises of the season. I don't think the Titans have a top 8 spine but there spine is better than ours when you throw Brimson in there. They're just missing a hooker similar to us. Both of us need Brandon Smith and we're the most likely clubs to sign him imo so it'll be interesting where he decides to go. I have the Titans just missing the eight next year.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Holbrook was able to unlock Taylor to a decent level last year (at least wasn't looking down on confidence like previous years). Fogarty was one of the surprises of the season. I don't think the Titans have a top 8 spine but there spine is better than ours when you throw Brimson in there. They're just missing a hooker similar to us. Both of us need Brandon Smith and we're the most likely clubs to sign him imo so it'll be interesting where he decides to go. I have the Titans just missing the eight next year.
dont disagree, but they have to prove themselves under pressure.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think our skill level is dreadful, basic catching, passing, support play, line speed. There was no improvement over his almost 3 seasons. I actually think we regressed.
what Steve James and his Tennis balls, throwing a ball against the wall didnt work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
what Steve James and his Tennis balls, throwing a ball against the wall didnt work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what you dont understand is that they are doing the exact same drills , it is just that James put them on the site. They all go back to basics in the preseason.
Players like Lewis need them lol

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
what you dont understand is that they are doing the exact same drills , it is just that James put them on the site. They all go back to basics in the preseason.
Players like Lewis need them lol
Are we still throwing tennis balls at the wall and missing the mark? Lol

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We all know he meant Justin Holbrook....watch out for the Titans, they're are my smoky to make the 8 in 21. The thing that shits me is that we practically gift wrapped him for Meninga through our inaction at the time.
Agree...we had him in our system and he never wanted to leave. Did well with our Canterbury Cup side and was very much a people person and communicated well with the players. Always liked him and it was a shame he was not asked back. We now need to see how Baz goes..I for one am willing to give him a shot let's face it we can only really go up from here....

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
the potential major signing IMO is flannigan. We have not had a 7 in the last 3 years, this is the most important position on the field still.
TB is going to play him both sides of the ruck so he will control the side.
If he goes as well as TB expects then we will still have a good season next year, we just need a 6 and 1 to progress and im sure Averillo can.
as with most teams we need to "find" someone from our lesser known players to make the next step.
time will tell if he have that player.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the potential major signing IMO is flannigan. We have not had a 7 in the last 3 years, this is the most important position on the field still.
If he goes as well as TB expects then we will still have a good season next year, we just need a 6 and 1 to progress and im sure Averillo can.
as with most teams we need to "find" someone from our lesser known players to make the next step.
Flanigan is the most important signing for next year for sure. We need his organisation, general kicking and goal kicking. I'm so glad he's playing both sides, which probably means Avo for 6 IMO.

Hetherington is the one I'm looking forward to seeing most. I was 50/50 about signing him but feeling better about it now. He can help us win the middle more often if he plays his best consistently. Need Renouf & Ogden to step up cause Napa is pretty much carrion these days.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flanigan is the most important signing for next year for sure. We need his organisation, general kicking and goal kicking. I'm so glad he's playing both sides, which probably means Avo for 6 IMO.

Hetherington is the one I'm looking forward to seeing most. I was 50/50 about signing him but feeling better about it now. He can help us win the middle more often if he plays his best consistently. Need Renouf & Ogden to step up cause Napa is pretty much carrion these days.
i love hetherington also, he have 2 intimidators with thompson to set a platform. Napa off the bench is his best spot, short bursts he can be effective.
obviously wed love burton and he is still a chance , but every team has a player that plays above their weight. Look at storm with Lee etc, we need to have a few of those players next year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think the plan from Baz was to split Burton/Flano/Averillo across the park similar to how the Cowboys played with Coote/JT/Morgan. Flano like you said will predominantly play on either side of the ruck in a controlling role with Burton and Averillo supporting him in a running role on either side of him.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also think our skill level is dreadful, basic catching, passing, support play, line speed. There was no improvement over his almost 3 seasons. I actually think we regressed.
Our skill level has been trash for years. I remember Andrew Johns talking about it on the Ch9 coverage years ago. This was back when Des was coaching us and nothing has improved since then.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on. Our players still can't throw a spiral ball that lands in front of the target. Its all wobbly passes landing behind the target player who has to stop to catch the ball. Basic stuff that Chooks, 2 contracts Melbourne and most other teams do with ease.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It is a big turnaround, Dean PAY didnt have any money in salary cap. I believe he deserved 1 more year to prove himself. I dont blame him for the last 3 years. I don't think any coach would have done any better.
We did not win any wooden spoon in that time.
Important to note on paper we have had the worst team in the NRL in the last 2 seasons
A similar thing was said about this year’s Queensland side but was proven to be very wrong by a very good coach

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the plan from Baz was to split Burton/Flano/Averillo across the park similar to how the Cowboys played with Coote/JT/Morgan. Flano like you said will predominantly play on either side of the ruck in a controlling role with Burton and Averillo supporting him in a running role on either side of him.
Some thing’s you just can’t change, and a half playing both sides of the ruck is one of them.