BULLDOGS UPGRADE

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It is a big turnaround, Dean PAY didnt have any money in salary cap. I believe he deserved 1 more year to prove himself. I dont blame him for the last 3 years. I don't think any coach would have done any better.
We did not win any wooden spoon in that time.
Important to note on paper we have had the worst team in the NRL in the last 2 seasons
From what I understand Dean Pay had one primary job and that was to improve the players. Our players were all capable of playing competitive first grade and we had a few ex origin and rep stars in there too and Dean had plenty of young players to work with. How do you measure whether a team has improved? By the number of games they win. We won 3 games this year after winning 10 last year and that was mainly because of a late run of wins in the last 6 or 7 rounds. For the most part of last year we were languishing near the bottom and this year we were anchored at the bottom with Brisbane. So I don’t get why we should have given pay another year. Most employers would fire our asses in a few months if we didn’t measure up to the requirements of the job. Deano got nearly 3 years. I think that’s enough.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It is a big turnaround, Dean PAY didnt have any money in salary cap. I believe he deserved 1 more year to prove himself. I dont blame him for the last 3 years. I don't think any coach would have done any better.
Important to note on paper we have had the worst team in the NRL in the last 2 seasons
Yeh i agree Pay didnt get much of a chance, and/or got the job at precisely the wrong time. For a virgin FG coach he really got thrown into the deep end (under the bus even). But i also think Barrett coming has a lot to do with attracting some of these great signings we have been getting lately.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
100% sir well said.. I can also see our juniors now seeing a reason to stay at the club even for a little less money if they know a developer in particular of the Baz and his team of assistants will groom their potential and representative honours and glory.
The other point i would make here - let's not overlook the Steve Hansen effect who brought professionalism and class to another level with the Allblacks. This in my mind will shine over the 10 years as we become the envy of every other Rugby League club on the planet..
BULLDOGS POWERHOUSE TEAM OF THIS DECADE!!

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As much as I like Pay as a bloke, we couldn't afford to give him another year... maybe 1 of the 4 or 5 signings so far would have come... the rest would not have...

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Pay symphyses should remember that for most of 2020, the whole place (club) had become a depressing basket case, and a whole new direction was not only necessary but the only way to go.
The complete clean out of the old was necessary, that was done not only with a new young coach but a whole new coaching staff.
I like many feel sorry for Pay, he came at a time when no other coach would touch our club with a 10 meter barge pole, and he probably new that he was on a hiding to nothing, but for what ever reason he made some very strange decisions with team selections bench etc.
I just hope his term with us hasn't destroyer his coaching career, I guess time will tell.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Damn. We're still beating that drum are we?

Pay's gone. The three board members are gone. Grateful towards them and the work for this club as I've always felt that they believed they were doing the best for us so I definitely will never hold a grudge against them for that.

However, we've moved on so I think people need to stop with the pointscoring and mudraking. Be happy with where we are, and let's just be positive in these times people.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All I know is that Pay walked away a richer man from the club and with his Dummies how to coach manual stuffed firmly in his back pocket. If anyone thinks or believes that he would have enticed the new players / signings we have now.....you are kidding yourselves!!! Not one player improved during his tenure as our couch, infact they regressed to the point where opposition teams where lining up to play against us for an easy two points and opposition supporters felt sorry for us while sniggering behind our backs. Even if Pay had an open checkbook and a prostitute to give away with every new signing we would still end up with over priced fringe first graders that no other club would want.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All I know is that Pay walked away a richer man from the club and with his Dummies how to coach manual stuffed firmly in his back pocket. If anyone thinks or believes that he would have enticed the new players / signings we have now.....you are kidding yourselves!!! Not one player improved during his tenure as our couch, infact they regressed to the point where opposition teams where lining up to play against us for an easy two points and opposition supporters felt sorry for us while sniggering behind our backs. Even if Pay had an open checkbook and a prostitute to give away with every new signing we would still end up with over priced fringe first grades that no other club would want.
Who really cares though? Anyone?

Never get our supporters' fixation in living in the past. Whether or not Pay would've or would not have attracted talent and been successful is a moot point as he left the club. He's history. Simple.

Things are looking promising right now, so why don't we all just enjoy that?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who really cares though? Anyone?

Never get our supporters' fixation in living in the past. Whether or not Pay would've or would not have attracted talent and been successful is a moot point as he left the club. He's history. Simple.

Things are looking promising right now, so why don't we all just enjoy that?
Cause everyone is bored in the off-season and they wanna talk and bitch about something. Or even better they want to work out what each of our players are getting paid and how they all fit into our cap because they’ve seen our books and all think they are accountants [emoji23]

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Cause everyone is bored in the off-season and they wanna talk and bitch about something. Or even better they want to work out what each of our players are getting paid and how they all fit into our cap because they’ve seen our books and all think they are accountants [emoji23]
Ha. Get what you're saying but jeez that's a tiring way to live.

ME: "Honey, I'm bored. What should I do?"
MY WIFE: "Why don't you sit on the Kennel and overanalyse every singly moment from the past 30 years and think about how you'd change them?"
ME: "I'm taking up drinking."

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ha. Get what you're saying but jeez that's a tiring way to live.

ME: "Honey, I'm bored. What should I do?"
MY WIFE: "Why don't you sit on the Kennel and overanalyse every singly moment from the past 30 years and think about how you'd change them?"
ME: "I'm taking up drinking."
What do you mean taking it up?!?!?
Practice makes perfect!!

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate to say it but what Dean Pay had control over was the roster's fitness or lack of. It was obvious in hindside that the whole team was unfit. Guess that's what you get when you kick cans at pre season training instead of busting your gut.
I agree on your points regarding no money in the cap to spend & the worst roster, but unfortunately I think it would have been hard for Deano to attract the players that TBaz has landed even with the coin to spend.
I just don't think they would have come over, just my opinion though.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bogie if I wete as eloquent as you I would have chosen exactly what you said....Thank you. Much better than my rubbish.
I think Pay did his bit. But it was time to move on. Otherwise we'd have been St George with Mary and lost 10 years because he didnt have the team, or he was hard done by with injuries, or he is an old boy so deserved respect.

Fact of the matter is we have Averillo with a dozen or so games (and maybe 1 in the spine), we have wakeham with about the same. Cogger probbaly got 25 or so games, Harper got 2, and we failed to give Meaney any quality time at fullback in a abysmal team to see if he could develop (funnily when he was dropped to the wing he was finally hitting his straps).

Instead we were giving time to Zelezniak who isnt a fullback and never will be, gave time to hoppa who is just way way way too slow to be a fullback. We played smith at centre even though we didnt have any winger at all. We put 35+ games into Lewis who seemed out of his depth about 10 games in. And we kept on giving game time to Crichton, Holland and Montoya (no surprise that 2 are gone as soon as Barrett arrives, and I think Crichton will soon follow).

So to say that Pay would have done well and built this team is a bit rich. I think he is a nice person, and definitely put his all into the role. But there is no harm to say thank you for your time Dean, thank you for the sacrifices you have made for the club, but we needed a new direction and a new age approach, which i think even before a tackle is made in anger we have achieved with Barrett.

We struggled for 3 years with pay, but more importantly we failed to see if Averillo could be a Fullback, we dont know what Wakeham is capable of, Cogger only got a handful of games in a row before constantly getting dropped. So the best man to take us into a new era and a premiership contender is definitely not Pay, but infact Baz

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay had 3 years and in that time he demonstrated in his team selections he couldn’t tell the difference between football talent and beefcake powder puffs. It was obvious to blind Freddy he continually stuck with duds like Sue and achieved nothing but big losses. It was only the good fortune of the Broncos imploding that we avoided the spoon. Continually moving people in the backline. Unable to put two words together without a litany of “you know”, “it’s where we’re at” and ”don’t expect this team to win”. Great communicator and motivatoor? And worst of all, it lost the chance to bring back Holdsworth as coach and that might prove the biggest legacy of the ParRamada Pay legacy.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay had 3 years and in that time he demonstrated in his team selections he couldn’t tell the difference between football talent and beefcake powder puffs. It was obvious to blind Freddy he continually stuck with duds like Sue and achieved nothing but big losses. It was only the good fortune of the Broncos imploding that we avoided the spoon. Continually moving people in the backline. Unable to put two words together without a litany of “you know”, “it’s where we’re at” and ”don’t expect this team to win”. Great communicator and motivatoor? And worst of all, it lost the chance to bring back Holdsworth as coach and that might prove the biggest legacy of the ParRamada Pay legacy.
Never knew Daniel Holdsworth is now coaching

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Never knew Daniel Holdsworth is now coaching
We all know he meant Justin Holbrook....watch out for the Titans, they're are my smoky to make the 8 in 21. The thing that shits me is that we practically gift wrapped him for Meninga through our inaction at the time.

Last edited:

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From what I understand Dean Pay had one primary job and that was to improve the players. Our players were all capable of playing competitive first grade and we had a few ex origin and rep stars in there too and Dean had plenty of young players to work with. How do you measure whether a team has improved? By the number of games they win. We won 3 games this year after winning 10 last year and that was mainly because of a late run of wins in the last 6 or 7 rounds. For the most part of last year we were languishing near the bottom and this year we were anchored at the bottom with Brisbane. So I don’t get why we should have given pay another year. Most employers would fire our asses in a few months if we didn’t measure up to the requirements of the job. Deano got nearly 3 years. I think that’s enough.
I also think our skill level is dreadful, basic catching, passing, support play, line speed. There was no improvement over his almost 3 seasons. I actually think we regressed.