Bulldogs to throw wallet at Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogs 24/7

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23525371-5013406,00.html

Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read, April 12, 2008

HAVING lost Willie Tonga and missed out on Israel Folau for 2009, the Bulldogs are on the verge of making St George Illawarra centre Matt Cooper an offer which could be too good to refuse.

Cooper is off contract at the end of the season and is weighing up interest from the Dragons and five English Super League clubs.

The Weekend Australian understands the Bulldogs are ready to muddy those waters by offering Cooper a deal which could be worth as much as $400,000 a season.

The push for the Dragons' centre is linked to the appointment of assistant coach Kevin Moore to the top job for 2009, which is expected to be announced following tomorrow's game against the Warriors in Auckland.

Moore has solid coaching credentials, having won premierships in lower grades and as Steve Folkes's assistant in the NRL, but there is a perception his profile is not high enough to lure quality players to the club.

While the Bulldogs have also made an offer to Brisbane centre Steve Michaels, it is believed Moore is desperate to sign Cooper given the Dragons' centre is an established representative player for NSW and has also played for his country.

Working against the Bulldogs is the fact Cooper would not want to play against the Dragons and is more likely to stay put or head to England.

The Weekend Australian understands incoming St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett has been working overtime behind the scenes to ensure Cooper remains at the club.

The Dogs are flush with funds following the off-season exit of Willie Mason and the imminent departure of Tonga, who will join North Queensland next season.

Speculation also continues to surround the future of lock Reni Maitua, who is rumoured to want out of his deal to start afresh in Queensland.

The Bulldogs had hoped to strike with the signature of Folau but he decided to join Brisbane next season.

The club is also in the market for Cowboys prop Carl Webb.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
Great work Bulldogs. Let Tonga go then sign Cooper for more than Willie got with NQ. Tonga is better tbh.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

it seems we are chasing everyone and signing no one.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great work Bulldogs. Let Tonga go then sign Cooper for more than Willie got with NQ. Tonga is better tbh.
Its all paper talk. Where did they get the figure of 400k from ? I thought we were getting Stanley ? I think the dogs are desperate to sign a high profile player so get the ball rolling with other signatures. Arent we better to throw money at Jennings ?

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
FFS $400k is the suggested offer to Cooper, no way is he worth that much. Sure he has played origin and for Australia. But certainly not worth $400k of our cap.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Its all paper talk. Where did they get the figure of 400k from ? I thought we were getting Stanley ? I think the dogs are desperate to sign a high profile player so get the ball rolling with other signatures. Arent we better to throw money at Jennings ?
no because coopper is a star with great defense and in a decent side will be good in attack too.

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if we pay $400k for Cooper, i'll be beyond furious

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cooper is a gun. Anyone who watches him play will realise that in defence he's one of the best there is and in attack he is great too. These days if you want the good players, you've got to be willing to pay the big money.

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
cooper's a weapon would be happy to have him

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
We can offer him $400k (not that i'm happy with it) but is that enough to combat the ESL?

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
if we pay $400k for Cooper, i'll be beyond furious
Same. If that is the real figure, its way too much for a centre, especially one that isnt exactly a gamebreaker.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
the esl would be able 2 offer him more and thats without endorsements so i doubt he will join. We need 2 backline players and pretty much theyll come from lawrence, stanley, michaels or boyd. Dont think there are any other players coming off contract worth going for.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
It clearly states he doesnt want to play against the Dragons. Ill be surprised if he signs!

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cooper is very good in defence but is too one-dimensional in attack and he never passes the ball

$400K is a ridiculous sum for him and makes the Dogs look desperate to sign someone after not even being in the race to sign Carney and Folau, and losing Tonga, Mason, O'Meley etc.

i think players like Jennings, Stanley, J. Morris, Joel Moon etc. would be better targets for the outside backs... they have talent and room to develop and would not come over with a superstar pay-packet

Hammer

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cooper is a gun. Anyone who watches him play will realise that in defence he's one of the best there is and in attack he is great too. These days if you want the good players, you've got to be willing to pay the big money.
everyone was saying $400k is too much for folau, but not for cooper?

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Good player but not worth 400K. 250K yes.

za_za360

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we buy him for 400K then we are officially the souths team of 3 years ago. Paying extreme wages to has-beens just to try n attract some good talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.