News Bulldogs sink to new depths against the might of Melbourne

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To say the last few seasons have been challenging for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is something of an understatement.

The now Manly coach Des Haslerdeparted the blue and whites in 2017 amidst alarming circumstances; where he and the board of the time appeared to have destined the club to mediocrity, after their questionable managing of the books.

In short, the colloquial “back-ended contract” bit Hasler and then Chairman Ray Dib in the bum. The playing roster was ageing, showing signs of fragility and even a series of desperate attempts to shed key players and free up a few dollars to replenish the stocks did little more than alienate fans, as they saw some of their favourite sons depart.
The farewells of Josh Reynolds and James Graham pulled at the heartstrings of every Bulldogs fan, as did some rather odd and seemingly ill-informed signings, with Aaron Woodsproving the most obvious of those

Replacing your heart and soul with players who appear to have neither is perhaps not the smartest approach boards of directors should take in attempting to build a premiership challenging squad that engages with fans.

In essence, the powers at be within the kennel mucked things up in a rather monstrous manner. Subsequently, on-field performances lacked grunt and character and the board was overthrown by a rebel ticket in early 2018, led by the daughter of the Bulldogs’ greatest administrator Peter Moore.

Lynne Anderson led a passionate campaign to return the famous club to its former glory. She was joined by names like Steven Price, Paul Dunn and Steve Mortimer; all men whose DNA looks nothing but blue and white when analysed under a microscope.

Anderson’s husband Chris appeared to be the brains behind the operation when it came to reviving the financials and regaining control over the salary cap. The premiership-winning coach with both the Bulldogs and Storm, Kangaroo mentor and former international representative comes with the highest of pedigree in the game.
When Anderson speaks, people listen, such is his status.

When I quizzed him on the length of time required to right the ship at the Bulldogs in early 2018, Anderson confidently exclaimed, “give me three years”. Business challenges have subsequently steered the veteran coach away from the club that his wife still steers and whilst much hope was held for the future, Canterbury still appears some distance away from the metaphorical light at the end of the tunnel.

2018 and 2019 were disappointing, despite both featuring a late-season run of wins that perked up an increasingly frustrated fan base. Dean Pay had been appointed in the last throws of the Dib led board, in their attempt to avoid a stay of execution by tugging at the heartstrings of the faithful.
In truth, Pay had little with which to work and his frustration grew as the under-strength Bulldogs took to the field week after week. All the while, the coach struggled with his supposed “million dollar man” Kieran Foranplaying little football thanks to consistent injuries and a young squad that lacked the class and experience to match wits with the competition heavyweights.

In true rugby league form, the coach was eventually jettisoned midway through the 2020 season and experienced assistant Steve Georgallistook over.

After a competitive loss to the Dragons, a shock win at McDonald Jones Stadium against the Knights and a brave defeat at the hands of the Eels, the reality of the Bulldogs’ situation came clearly to light against the Storm in Round 13 of the NRL season.

Stung by four tries in the first 23 minutes of the match and trailing 22-0, the Bulldogs were treated like reserve graders by Craig Bellamy’s ruthless and effective machine, even without Cameron Smith.

The battle of the middle third was won categorically by the Storm, the defensive reads of the Bulldog backs were at times appalling and even the usual defensive application and resilience appeared absent.

It was an awful display, highlighted by the quality of the opposition.

Despite the hope presented in 2018 by the new board, some new signings and the decision to move on Pay amidst rumours he was not up to the task, few of their plans/moves have resulted in improvement.

The stark reality is that Canterbury sits 16th on the NRL ladder with two wins and eleven losses. They look the weakest roster in the competition and despite multiple rumours around future signings, it is hard to see Canberra representative player Nick Cotricproving the elixir to the bucket full of ills that the club possesses.

No one should kid themselves that the Bulldogs are improving. They are not and the club hit a new low with an embarrassing loss to the Storm on Saturday afternoon.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
So we copped one real flogging when weve been decimated as a club. Id be more concerned if I was a Broncos supporter.
I totally agree, players wanting out and getting hammered every week. At least we have been competitive and look on the up. I think the eels game took it out of the squad. I rather be a dogs supporter

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with some parts of that article but I don’t think we are as far off as it suggests .

Yes we were poor yesterday but we didn’t have much luck . They got 2 intercepts and 1 try from a length of field kick . Another try from a 6 again call on the fifth tackle and one try from a standard dropped ball by a player who won’t play for the club again hopefully (Montoya). At 23-10 with 25 minutes to go we were actually in the game until Jackson’s diabolical pass and subsequent run away try.

Of course there is work to do but I have no doubts we will improve next year

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Journalist quotes anderson saying it will take 3 years to fix fix the mess, yet goes on to say that nothing has been fixed.. lol maths aint his strong point obviously.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with some parts of that article but I don’t think we are as far off as it suggests .

Yes we were poor yesterday but we didn’t have much luck . They got 2 intercepts and 1 try from a length of field kick . Another try from a 6 again call on the fifth tackle and one try from a standard dropped ball by a player who won’t play for the club again hopefully (Montoya). At 23-10 with 25 minutes to go we were actually in the game until Jackson’s diabolical pass and subsequent run away try.

Totally agree. We gifted them most of their points.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As others have said, 2021 was always the year that judgement was set for. If we have not remarkably improved next year then its time to get the pitch forks, molitovs and effigies out and head towards belmore..

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
As others have said, 2021 was always the year that judgement was set for. If we have not remarkably improved next year then its time to get the pitch forks, molitovs and effigies out and head towards belmore..
I agree with this 100% mate

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree. We gifted them most of their points.
A lot of commentators are saying we don’t deserve the spoon because of the effort the players put in.

But as a club we certainly deserve it . Our recruitment, retention and player development has been horrific for the past 5 years and a spoon was always on the cards . I’m surprised we didn’t get it last year

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
R u confident that we will see a big change? Im really unsure at this stage.. i really need to seem some astute signings if a difference is going to be made...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yep I have faith in Barrett to improve us. Again though a good hooker and half would be nice. Did you see Koriosaus assist to Martin last night from dummy half, absolutely beautiful footy and something we have lacked for far too long.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

It's quite incredible (is that the right word) how much bad luck we have. When you're down, you stay down.

Anything that can go wrong against us does and anything that can go right for our opposition does also :(

When you have a slow steady crumbling down of fortunes, players and standards: it will take a slow steady rebuilding of all those things to get us back up.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
R u confident that we will see a big change? Im really unsure at this stage.. i really need to seem some astute signings if a difference is going to be made...
I’m confident we will make the top 8.
There will be more signings and additions to the coaching staff. I can realistically seeing us back in grand finals within 3-4 years. Big call I know

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yep I have faith in Barrett to improve us. Again though a good hooker and half would be nice. Did you see Koriosaus assist to Martin last night from dummy half, absolutely beautiful footy and something we have lacked for far too long.
I did mate. The panthers are a well oiled machine and Barrett has been a huge part of that

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Astute is the key word regarding signings - no panic buys!. the club will also need to update / change what they do in the pre season particularly regarding fitness n strength

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m confident we will make the top 8.
There will be more signings and additions to the coaching staff. I can realistically seeing us back in grand finals within 3-4 years. Big call I know
I really hope you are right .. but as its stands now top 8 looks so far away..

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot of commentators are saying we don’t deserve the spoon because of the effort the players put in.

But as a club we certainly deserve it . Our recruitment, retention and player development has been horrific for the past 5 years and a spoon was always on the cards . I’m surprised we didn’t get it last year
Can't say I disagree.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
To say the last few seasons have been challenging for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is something of an understatement.

The now Manly coach Des Haslerdeparted the blue and whites in 2017 amidst alarming circumstances; where he and the board of the time appeared to have destined the club to mediocrity, after their questionable managing of the books.

In short, the colloquial “back-ended contract” bit Hasler and then Chairman Ray Dib in the bum. The playing roster was ageing, showing signs of fragility and even a series of desperate attempts to shed key players and free up a few dollars to replenish the stocks did little more than alienate fans, as they saw some of their favourite sons depart.
The farewells of Josh Reynolds and James Graham pulled at the heartstrings of every Bulldogs fan, as did some rather odd and seemingly ill-informed signings, with Aaron Woodsproving the most obvious of those

Replacing your heart and soul with players who appear to have neither is perhaps not the smartest approach boards of directors should take in attempting to build a premiership challenging squad that engages with fans.

In essence, the powers at be within the kennel mucked things up in a rather monstrous manner. Subsequently, on-field performances lacked grunt and character and the board was overthrown by a rebel ticket in early 2018, led by the daughter of the Bulldogs’ greatest administrator Peter Moore.

Lynne Anderson led a passionate campaign to return the famous club to its former glory. She was joined by names like Steven Price, Paul Dunn and Steve Mortimer; all men whose DNA looks nothing but blue and white when analysed under a microscope.

Anderson’s husband Chris appeared to be the brains behind the operation when it came to reviving the financials and regaining control over the salary cap. The premiership-winning coach with both the Bulldogs and Storm, Kangaroo mentor and former international representative comes with the highest of pedigree in the game.
When Anderson speaks, people listen, such is his status.

When I quizzed him on the length of time required to right the ship at the Bulldogs in early 2018, Anderson confidently exclaimed, “give me three years”. Business challenges have subsequently steered the veteran coach away from the club that his wife still steers and whilst much hope was held for the future, Canterbury still appears some distance away from the metaphorical light at the end of the tunnel.

2018 and 2019 were disappointing, despite both featuring a late-season run of wins that perked up an increasingly frustrated fan base. Dean Pay had been appointed in the last throws of the Dib led board, in their attempt to avoid a stay of execution by tugging at the heartstrings of the faithful.
In truth, Pay had little with which to work and his frustration grew as the under-strength Bulldogs took to the field week after week. All the while, the coach struggled with his supposed “million dollar man” Kieran Foranplaying little football thanks to consistent injuries and a young squad that lacked the class and experience to match wits with the competition heavyweights.

In true rugby league form, the coach was eventually jettisoned midway through the 2020 season and experienced assistant Steve Georgallistook over.

After a competitive loss to the Dragons, a shock win at McDonald Jones Stadium against the Knights and a brave defeat at the hands of the Eels, the reality of the Bulldogs’ situation came clearly to light against the Storm in Round 13 of the NRL season.

Stung by four tries in the first 23 minutes of the match and trailing 22-0, the Bulldogs were treated like reserve graders by Craig Bellamy’s ruthless and effective machine, even without Cameron Smith.

The battle of the middle third was won categorically by the Storm, the defensive reads of the Bulldog backs were at times appalling and even the usual defensive application and resilience appeared absent.

It was an awful display, highlighted by the quality of the opposition.

Despite the hope presented in 2018 by the new board, some new signings and the decision to move on Pay amidst rumours he was not up to the task, few of their plans/moves have resulted in improvement.

The stark reality is that Canterbury sits 16th on the NRL ladder with two wins and eleven losses. They look the weakest roster in the competition and despite multiple rumours around future signings, it is hard to see Canberra representative player Nick Cotricproving the elixir to the bucket full of ills that the club possesses.

No one should kid themselves that the Bulldogs are improving. They are not and the club hit a new low with an embarrassing loss to the Storm on Saturday afternoon.
Bloody hell. Its a long story to state the obvious. We knew all year we are not a good side. Being thrashed by a top 4 side isn't surprising and hardly needs a long explanation.