Bulldogs sign Jack Cogger for 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We already have 2 atm haha. Pretty sure Lewis played for qld in 16s, 18s and 20's. Moses also played 20s for both qld and aus.
Fair enuf. Should have done my research. So why cant we produce quality halves?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Fair enuf. Should have done my research. So why cant we produce quality halves?
Probably coaching, though a lot of teams have struggled with this. Everyone has been too focused on developing powerful athletes rather than focusing on the technical ability of halves so there isn't much to pick from. Munster and Morgan are probably the two best 5/8s in the game and they're just basically powerful outside backs that have developed their technical ability due to playing alongside the two best halfbacks in the game.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably coaching, though a lot of teams have struggled with this. Everyone has been too focused on developing powerful athletes rather than focusing on the technical ability of halves so there isn't much to pick from. Munster and Morgan are probably the two best 5/8s in the game and they're just basically powerful outside backs that have developed their technical ability due to playing alongside the two best halfbacks in the game.
I think you are spot on there mate.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think you are spot on there mate.
I do think it will change now with clubs looking to play with more dominant halves pairings in a slightly more traditional role. Cleary, Taylor, Croft all look to be the best young halfbacks coming through in years, more should hopefully follow.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We already have 2 atm haha. Pretty sure Lewis played for qld in 16s, 18s and 20's. Moses also played 20s for both qld and aus.
Mbye played as the bench utility in every junior rep team he played for. If he ever played half it was because 1st and 2nd choice were injured.

All the QLD teams Lewis has played in have been dominated by NSW teams captained by Cogger.

Based on junior rep creds Cogger is the most accomplished young half we have recruit since Thurston.

Not making any comparisons to Thursten.. At the same age Thursten had lead the reserve grade team to 2 premierships.

If Cogger can put a bit of size on and stay fit he will be good for us.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye played as the bench utility in every junior rep team he played for. If he ever played half it was because 1st and 2nd choice were injured.

All the QLD teams Lewis has played in have been dominated by NSW teams captained by Cogger.

Based on junior rep creds Cogger is the most accomplished young half we have recruit since Thurston.

Not making any comparisons to Thursten.. At the same age Thursten had lead the reserve grade team to 2 premierships.

If Cogger can put a bit of size on and stay fit he will be good for us.
Mbye played SOO for 2 years and in the second year was the 6 in the team with Milford as 7. Mbye played well in that game.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mbye played SOO for 2 years and in the second year was the 6 in the team with Milford as 7. Mbye played well in that game.
Thats because Kodi Nikorima was injured. He went on to get the Junior Kangaroo no. 6 that year because both Milford and Nikorima got injured.

Actually the more you look at the sucessful junior rep halves over the years the more you realise how few get through to the NRL.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats because Kodi Nikorima was injured. He went on to get the Junior Kangaroo no. 6 that year because both Milford and Nikorima got injured.

Actually the more you look at the sucessful junior rep halves over the years the more you realise how few get through to the NRL.
I seem to recall reading a few years ago that less than 10% of Under 20s players make it to FG so I guess like it or not the FG players are the elite of the sport. Some don't get there that should and some get there that shouldn't but overall its a tough profession and only the best get there - even the ones we think are ordinary.....

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One fellow who doesnt get many mentions is Jeremy Marshall-King. Looks like Dean Pay might have seen something in him.
I cant find much about him.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading a few years ago that less than 10% of Under 20s players make it to FG so I guess like it or not the FG players are the elite of the sport. Some don't get there that should and some get there that shouldn't but overall its a tough profession and only the best get there - even the ones we think are ordinary.....
The 2014 Junior Kangaroo team have Munster on the bench and Drew Hutchison as the 6. 3 years later Munster is the QLD no. 6 and Hutchison doesn't even look like making his first grade debut!

When you think how competitive it is to make the NRL for the young kids, it makes what the Knights are doing denying Coggar first crack at partnering and learning from one of the best is the game a shit go.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 2014 Junior Kangaroo team have Munster on the bench and Drew Hutchison as the 6. 3 years later Munster is the QLD no. 6 and Hutchison doesn't even look like making his first grade debut!

When you think how competitive it is to make the NRL for the young kids, it makes what the Knights are doing denying Coggar first crack at partnering and learning from one of the best is the game a shit go.
In saying that Hutchinson was booked in to partner Widdop last year but done his acl I think or something serious that put him out for the season! That's if it's the dragons Hutchinson ur talking about

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hate how the media always refers to the Ponga situation. The difference is the Cowboys didn't sign two more experienced big name players into his exact position essentially blocking his path to first grade and confirming that he is not in their longer term plans. The Cowboy really wanted to keep Ponga, but couldn't match the overs the Knights were offering.

On top of that, their argument that they need him! Can't think of a team in the NRL that has more than 1 decent back up option in the halves.

In this instance it is not reasonable of Brown and the Knights to deny Cogger the career development opportunity available at the Dogs in 2018.

They have the right to keep him legally, but that doesn't make it right. Cogger signed the contact he is on in good faith the Knights were offering the best environment for him to develop and have a r long term plans and play NRL. Knights have not honored the spirit
In saying that Hutchinson was booked in to partner Widdop last year but done his acl I think or something serious that put him out for the season! That's if it's the dragons Hutchinson ur talking about
That's the kid, now he has missed his chance with the 2017 junior kangaroo no. 6 getting first shot this year at the Dragons.

The Hutchinson example demonstrates how preasous NRL development opportunities are for young players. In Cogger's case it is not reasonable of Brown and the Knights to deny Cogger the career development opportunity available at the Dogs in 2018.

They have the right to keep him legally, but that doesn't make it right. Cogger signed the contact he is on in good faith the Knights were offering the best environment for him to develop and have a fair chance to be part of their long term plans. The Knights have not honored their end of the agreement.

I hate how the media refers to the Ponga situation in defence of the Knight's. The circumstances were different, the Cowboys didn't sign two more experienced big name players into his exact position. This choice by the Knights essentially blocks Cogger's development path way to first grade and confirms that he is not in their longer term plans. The Cowboy really wanted to keep Ponga, but couldn't match the overs the Knights were offering.

On top of that, their argument that they need him! Can't think of a team in the NRL that has more than 1 decent back up option in the halves?

Poor form from the Knights on this one.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
One fellow who doesnt get many mentions is Jeremy Marshall-King. Looks like Dean Pay might have seen something in him.
I cant find much about him.
I watched a fair bit of him in the tigers 20s and he was an adequate utility at that level. However He's a long way from a first grader and i reckon he'll be on the bench for the NSW cup. Interesting he made his first grade debut the week after Benji re-signed with the Tigers. Me thinks it was a benji condition so him and his mates could do a haka when he ran on.
And I'll think you'll find Warren mcdonell probably signed him rather than Pay. McDonnell originally signed him for the tigers 20s. And He would have been a rock bottom signing as the tigers had only offered him NSW cup. Not a good sign when we're putting guys in our top 30 who played for a Reserve grade side than won 4 games all year and got thrashed in most of the rest.

Last edited:

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I hate how the media always refers to the Ponga situation. The difference is the Cowboys didn't sign two more experienced big name players into his exact position essentially blocking his path to first grade and confirming that he is not in their longer term plans. The Cowboy really wanted to keep Ponga, but couldn't match the overs the Knights were offering.

On top of that, their argument that they need him! Can't think of a team in the NRL that has more than 1 decent back up option in the halves.

In this instance it is not reasonable of Brown and the Knights to deny Cogger the career development opportunity available at the Dogs in 2018.

They have the right to keep him legally, but that doesn't make it right. Cogger signed the contact he is on in good faith the Knights were offering the best environment for him to develop and have a r long term plans and play NRL. Knights have not honored the spirit

That's the kid, now he has missed his chance with the 2017 junior kangaroo no. 6 getting first shot this year at the Dragons.

The Hutchinson example demonstrates how preasous NRL development opportunities are for young players. In Cogger's case it is not reasonable of Brown and the Knights to deny Cogger the career development opportunity available at the Dogs in 2018.

They have the right to keep him legally, but that doesn't make it right. Cogger signed the contact he is on in good faith the Knights were offering the best environment for him to develop and have a fair chance to be part of their long term plans. The Knights have not honored their end of the agreement.

I hate how the media refers to the Ponga situation in defence of the Knight's. The circumstances were different, the Cowboys didn't sign two more experienced big name players into his exact position. This choice by the Knights essentially blocks Cogger's development path way to first grade and confirms that he is not in their longer term plans. The Cowboy really wanted to keep Ponga, but couldn't match the overs the Knights were offering.

On top of that, their argument that they need him! Can't think of a team in the NRL that has more than 1 decent back up option in the halves?

Poor form from the Knights on this one.
Do we even have cap space to fit him in our squad this year?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Do we even have cap space to fit him in our squad this year?
Yes Brenko lees spot. Pays said in the media if he can get out we
Will welcome
Him early

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cogger would need to break his contract to come here. I would like to think that contracts mean just a bit more than that.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cogger would need to break his contract to come here. I would like to think that contracts mean just a bit more than that.
I agree with the second sentence. I look at the way Dugan left the Raiders only to reveal he had a contract lined up with the Broncos a week or two later. I seee some similarities in the circumstances with Ratboy leaving us. I've heard some rumours from an old workmate that a Broncos official met with Barba and they cooked up Barbas mental breakdown as a possible way of seeking a release from us prior to him dropping out of the All Stars game. At the end of the day I'd like to know that both our club and Cogger have better ethics than Barba and the Broncos.

Wrong. He can come here by mutual agreement.
They are both options. However if he breaks his contract the NRL could deny him the chance to play this year.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
There’s photos and quotes with him mentioned in that journos training run with knights so Cogger hasn’t been a shit **** at least lol.

I want him here this year but I wouldn’t want to see he’s not going to training and being a bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.