News Bulldogs set for signing spree as Gould’s hit list revealed amid clean-out: Transfer Whispers

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
No to first question.. You simply forfeit the last 5% and work on 500k less cap.

Yea to second question but within certain limits which aren't well published or known. Probably at NRL discretion.

It's what keeps bottom teams pegged to the bottom. Otherwise it would only ever be a 3 year stint for bottom placed teams to be at the bottom and they would have to make remarkable recruitment fuck-ups to not climb the ladder.

But since these rules came in, we have seen Knights, Tigers, Dogs and now Dragons occupy the bottom 4 or 5 spots for a good 5 or more years....

It's the biggest blight on the game.
Probably worse than the cap itself.
Ok so theoretically if there are 20 players still contracted for next year the club could use the 5% unused to give them an extra 25k this year and take it off next years amounts - rather than significant amounts for small number of players - im sure clubs account managers would have it all sorted

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely, but the truth is hard to believe for some people that don't want to believe for whatever reason !!!
Well administered clubs KEEP the nucleus of their team unless forced to.
Correct.
And again, not much credit to Cleary for keeping the nucleus of the team and making the hard decisions (API, Burton, Kikau, Chrichton)

It's like Hawthorn in the 3-peat era of 2013-2015....

They couldn't get any decent draft picks (premiers) and so had to rely on free agents (journeymen) and had to make the hard decisions to let some players go. It worked out well for them and they made 4 GFs in a row including the 3-peat.

Penrith about to emulate that feat.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so theoretically if there are 20 players still contracted for next year the club could use the 5% unused to give them an extra 25k this year and take it off next years amounts - rather than significant amounts for small number of players - im sure clubs account managers would have it all sorted
You'd hope they would....

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now you’re talking rubbish how and where did you get those numbers from?
He made it up.

That is what happens on here when someone doesn't like the player, they make up an over priced number so if he flops they can moan even more lol

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'd hope they would....
I wonder if the player on leave - if they were to get a settlement above contract payout ( to avoid legal action etc) whether the settlement would come out of the salary cap

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No argument. Just perspective.

Most media outlets had Crighton signed with us on around 825k a season. Someone called it 900k (around 10% of the reported figure) which I think is fair enough.

Then others state it was more like 650 which is near 25% lower than the reported figure and complete bollocks.

So I call out the BS.
You are believing the media that has agendas against us...That's wrong !
Example, they kept reporting that TPJ was on $900-950k a season until just recently said he was on $750k,
Fact was that the Gronkos paid him $200-250k for the 1st season only, while we paid him $725k a season.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The fact we've had to overhaul the baulk of the roster and didn't see this coming is what gives me no faith in this administration.

There seems to be no forward or redundancy thinking. It's sign and hope
Look at the list I posted of 2024 signings across the league though. It's not like every other club signed superstars. Most of the best players re-signed before they hit the market because the cap went up so much and their current clubs could afford to offer them more. Throw in a 17th team that signed 30-40 players and that leaves you with very little player movement as I pointed out.

It's not just us in this situation, look at most other clubs. 4 or 5 clubs have signed no one or just one player. That tells you all you need to know about the market.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Correct.
And again, not much credit to Cleary for keeping the nucleus of the team and making the hard decisions (API, Burton, Kikau, Chrichton)

It's like Hawthorn in the 3-peat era of 2013-2015....

They couldn't get any decent draft picks (premiers) and so had to rely on free agents (journeymen) and had to make the hard decisions to let some players go. It worked out well for them and they made 4 GFs in a row including the 3-peat.

Penrith about to emulate that feat.
Cleary is the primary decision maker not the only one and deserves credit, but did you know that Fisher-Harris approached Barrett wanting to join us, Penrith had to make a decision between Fisher_Harris and Kikau.
Two great quality but different players, I wish it was the other way around, we were desperate for an alpha a captain a leader and still are.
As for Hawthorn situation, a different kettle of fish.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Most clubs keep the 5% available for mid year singings. The issue for us this year wasn't the 5%, it was the Top 30 limit, when we used 36 players and had to go cap in hand to the NRL for exemptions.

Always a Bulldog

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Look at the list I posted of 2024 signings across the league though. It's not like every other club signed superstars. Most of the best players re-signed before they hit the market because the cap went up so much and their current clubs could afford to offer them more. Throw in a 17th team that signed 30-40 players and that leaves you with very little player movement as I pointed out.

It's not just us in this situation, look at most other clubs. 4 or 5 clubs have signed no one or just one player. That tells you all you need to know about the market.
Correct, add to that the scary tactics against us implied by News crap

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At which time V'lad the game fůcker will want to add extra teams to dilute the talent even further. Hr doesn't care, as long as the media bucks keep rolling in.
Yep he is only concerned about media (esp. TV) revenue increases, as his main KPI for success. The more teams, the more games, the greater the media (and gambling) revenue. Seems to have no longer term view nor awareness that talent is limited & already being spread too thinly. Ultimately will decline the quality of the offering. He is not a long term strategic leader and thinker for the game but just an accountant / financial manager with shorter term $ targets to manage. Big difference between a true leader and a manager.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

so how do teams at the bottom ever get to the level of the top teams when the list of quality players is so limited and the top teams always recruit the cream of the crop? expansion will result in a two tiered competition...the top 8 fighting for the premiership and bottom 8 fighting for the wooden spoon...there's are the facts my friends

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There’s none, or very few quality players available, so let’s just sign up some more plodders.
You need 30 contracted players and must spend 95% minimum of the cap. It is utterly inevitable that we will sign some plodders on overs. Don’t hate the club for it, hate the NRL rules. You just have to hope that we are not offering 3 to 5 year deals to them. 2yrs max with an option for a third in our favour so they don’t hang around stinking up the place for too long if they are not working out.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You need 30 contracted players and must spend 95% minimum of the cap. It is utterly inevitable that we will sign some plodders on overs. Don’t hate the club for it, hate the NRL rules. You just have to hope that we are not offering 3 to 5 year deals to them. 2yrs max with an option for a third in our favour so they don’t hang around stinking up the place for too long if they are not working out.
Most of the new signings are a 1-2 year deals
Even sexton is only here for 2024.

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
so how do teams at the bottom ever get to the level of the top teams when the list of quality players is so limited and the top teams always recruit the cream of the crop? expansion will result in a two tiered competition...the top 8 fighting for the premiership and bottom 8 fighting for the wooden spoon...there's are the facts my friends
By having a salary cap that actually works and is applied equally across all clubs, plus quite likely a player draft system. Won’t fix every problem, but would help enormously in my opinion.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Junior development is the only way. Brisbane were down the bottom and even the roosters so that proves even the rich clubs can fail but they don't fail for long. Brisbane has so many good young kids and so to the roosters. The tigers have a good handfull to kick start them. Keeping them is the next issue. Our issue was des come in half his team were developed or through our grades and that steady youth injection stopped . We have to build from within again.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
By having a salary cap that actually works and is applied equally across all clubs, plus quite likely a player draft system. Won’t fix every problem, but would help enormously in my opinion.
Funny how a draft in the NRL wont work and considered illegal but the AFL has one. Players care about the future of their game but league boys sook n go to court. The NRL need a national u20 comp with max salary set on the kids. Then they need a reserve grade comp with a decent cap to keep the players in the game. So many things need to be done. They took the ownership rights off a media company and gave it to the gambling sector.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gus should sign Tamika Upton. She could take Burton under her wing and teach him a thing or two.