Bulldogs seek to settle Hasler contract with out of court settlement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@Deathspell this will interest you..

Canterbury seek to settle former coach Des Hasler’s contract dispute with out of court settlement
Phil Rothfield, The Sunday Telegraph April 7, 2018 9:00pm

The Canterbury Bulldogs have offered axed coach Des Hasler a $600,000 settlement before their contract dispute heads back to the Supreme Court this week.

The Sunday Telegraph understands lawyers for both parties have been in discussions to try to resolve the dispute before a directions hearing on Friday.

Hasler had signed a $2.2 million memorandum of understanding last year to coach the Bulldogs until 2020 but the actual contract was never signed because of arguments over clauses in the contract. He was later sacked and replaced by Dean Pay.

To save legal costs, Hasler and the Bulldogs were hoping to avoid a full court hearing.

Hasler is now working as a part-time consultant for the NRL’s football department as he waits for another head coach role in the NRL.

The $600,000 offer was put to Hasler’s lawyers and his manager George Mimis last week. More negotiations will be held leading up to Friday’s directions hearing.

One of the problems is that Hasler’s deal was done by two officials who are no longer at the club — CEO Raelene Castle and chairman Ray Dib.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
So does that mean Anderson incorporated have decided to go this route?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We were always going to have to give him something or he would be a pain in the neck, this is the best way.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better if true keep the vulture lawyers at bay.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m just glad Castle was mentioned along side with dib with contract talks.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The club announced he was re-signed, therefore Des would argue he didn't look for other jobs when he could have....... feels right to me that the club owes something, doubt the offer will be accepted but its a start at ending the whole embarrassing story that was the stupidity of the club from the top down in 2017.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Its in for directions next week. If it doesn’t settle I anticipate directions will be made to ready the matter and fix it for hearing sometime later in the year.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
@Deathspell this will interest you..

Canterbury seek to settle former coach Des Hasler’s contract dispute with out of court settlement
Phil Rothfield, The Sunday Telegraph April 7, 2018 9:00pm

The Canterbury Bulldogs have offered axed coach Des Hasler a $600,000 settlement before their contract dispute heads back to the Supreme Court this week.

The Sunday Telegraph understands lawyers for both parties have been in discussions to try to resolve the dispute before a directions hearing on Friday.

Hasler had signed a $2.2 million memorandum of understanding last year to coach the Bulldogs until 2020 but the actual contract was never signed because of arguments over clauses in the contract. He was later sacked and replaced by Dean Pay.

To save legal costs, Hasler and the Bulldogs were hoping to avoid a full court hearing.

Hasler is now working as a part-time consultant for the NRL’s football department as he waits for another head coach role in the NRL.

The $600,000 offer was put to Hasler’s lawyers and his manager George Mimis last week. More negotiations will be held leading up to Friday’s directions hearing.

One of the problems is that Hasler’s deal was done by two officials who are no longer at the club — CEO Raelene Castle and chairman Ray Dib.
Thank you bro.
Due to the fact that the Bulldogs are offering a settlement of $600K (less then 1/4 of the contract's consideration) and Des's Counsel are willing to avoid litigation,by listing before the court a 'First Directions Hearing', it sounds like some of the contract's clauses are subject to promissory estoppel.In pursuing the legal efficacy of offer and acceptance,the court must enforce the contract in it's entirety,which makes all tabled clauses binding.
Let's hope the presiding Supreme Court Judge directs favourable orders and alters the parties for commencement of Alternate Dispute Resolution for Mediation.
This is a win for our club, but if parties petition to the court any subsequent hearings to seek a 'Further Directions Hearing', we will know that Mediation failed, or one of the parties failed to comply with the directions of the court.
As far as Castle and Dib are concerned, they are subject under Law of Agency and since Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs is a corporate entity, any breaches come under Corporations Act 2001 and Associations Incorporation Act 2009 (NSW). I'm sure their contacts absolves both from professional negligence and incompetence.
The board of directors bears ultimate responsibility, but since their appointments are subject to elections by membership and the board has been dismissed (that becomes their retribution), liability cannot be sought and the matter cannot be dealt with in retrospective.
Timing is critical, that is why settlement (acknowledgment of guilt) was delayed after the board's elections!

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Read somewhere today we're basically cooked in the player market until 2020 because of haslers backended deals

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Read somewhere today we're basically cooked in the player market until 2020 because of haslers backended deals
Yeah no idea if it that is true but it wouldn't surprise me, he left manly in the exact same position with these massive back-ended deals.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This was always going to settle out of court. It’s the right thing to do.
100%... i think the club is doing the right thing... we stuffed him around by announcing then changing our mind later for the popular vote... As shit as Des was the club should pay him part of the salary and call it quits... it will at least clean up the bad name club already has because of these dodgy contract negotiations... we need to be seen as honorable club going forward if we are to attract talent in the future...

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah no idea if it that is true but it wouldn't surprise me, he left manly in the exact same position with these massive back-ended deals.
No oversight will do that... our board needs to be on top of their game when it comes to managing our cap in the future...

Born&BredABulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We should sue that fuck for triple that for the shit he’s left us in. He was nothing but a Desaster coming to the club.

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its in for directions next week. If it doesn’t settle I anticipate directions will be made to ready the matter and fix it for hearing sometime later in the year.
Supreme Court lists are jammed. Likely to get a 2019 date although late 2018 could be a possibility.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Supreme Court lists are jammed. Likely to get a 2019 date although late 2018 could be a possibility.
I got an October date before the Hammer a few weeks back, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we’re now talking 2019.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Can you disclose the name of this "somewhere"?
That's a huge statement to make without naming the source.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
So does that mean Anderson incorporated have decided to go this route?
I'm far from a fan of this new board, but Dib needed to go.

If this is a way of saving the club an extra 1.4 million that Des was suing us for, then fine, but let's keep in mind, they inherited this legal case and mess from Dib and they just it to be over with. I'm not blaming them for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.