News Bulldogs scout American talent ahead of Vegas season opener

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are leading the pack when it comes to scouting talent in North America. Canterbury CEO Aaron Warburton and director Andrew Gifford recently attended the NRL Las Vegas 9s to identify potential recruits for a future NRLW team.

It was amazing to witness the level of talent at the Nines tournament. We are thrilled by the passion and skill displayed by players from the USA and Canada,” expressed Warburton. The Bulldogs are determined to secure an NRLW license soon and are impressed by the development of the game in North America.

During the tournament, Chicago North Shore centre Nira Fowler captured the attention of scouts, earning an invitation to the NRL Combine. Fowler, a former rugby union player, is eager to prove herself on the rugby league stage and is excited at the prospect of joining the NRLW ranks.

Former NFL player Cyrus Habibi-Likio also stood out at the Vegas 9s and secured a spot at the NRL Combine. Habibi-Likio, with a background in college football with the University of Oregon, is intrigued by the challenge of rugby league and is keen to test his skills at the highest level.

Ex-NRL star Bryson Goodwin, now involved with Pacific Sports Management, commended the talent showcased at the tournament. Goodwin observed that the players demonstrated great potential and will only improve with further exposure to the game. There is optimism surrounding the growth of rugby league in North America.

Bulldogs‘ director Andrew Gifford commended the NRL for expanding the game to North America and opening the 2024 season in Las Vegas. Gifford acknowledged the wealth of talent in the region and believes that rugby league is on the brink of a significant breakthrough in North America. The future looks promising for the sport in the region.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how there is enough revenue in women's league to support bringing out players from overseas ? Would need to be a fulltime job you would think for them to want to move country. If the NRL and / or clubs take revenue made from the men's game to funnel into paying women it's a joke and if I were an NRL player I'd f..king spew. Needs to be a totally separate thing with player pay generated from their own profits from crowds and any TV rights etc.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There'd be plenty of gifted athletes. The big question is if they have the instincts and skills to pick the game up. I almost guarantee that anyone with the ability to go pro in an American sport will have sources of income comparable to the average wage of an NRL player.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand how there is enough revenue in women's league to support bringing out players from overseas ? Would need to be a fulltime job you would think for them to want to move country. If the NRL and / or clubs take revenue made from the men's game to funnel into paying women it's a joke and if I were an NRL player I'd f..king spew. Needs to be a totally separate thing with player pay generated from their own profits from crowds and any TV rights etc.
Not sure about that the women’s game is a key to expanding the club and inclusiveness has some important keys towards building community.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There'd be plenty of gifted athletes. The big question is if they have the instincts and skills to pick the game up. I almost guarantee that anyone with the ability to go pro in an American sport will have sources of income comparable to the average wage of an NRL player.
It's just an excuse for a free holiday for our boys :laughing:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are leading the pack when it comes to scouting talent in North America. Canterbury CEO Aaron Warburton and director Andrew Gifford recently attended the NRL Las Vegas 9s to identify potential recruits for a future NRLW team.

It was amazing to witness the level of talent at the Nines tournament. We are thrilled by the passion and skill displayed by players from the USA and Canada,” expressed Warburton. The Bulldogs are determined to secure an NRLW license soon and are impressed by the development of the game in North America.

During the tournament, Chicago North Shore centre Nira Fowler captured the attention of scouts, earning an invitation to the NRL Combine. Fowler, a former rugby union player, is eager to prove herself on the rugby league stage and is excited at the prospect of joining the NRLW ranks.

Former NFL player Cyrus Habibi-Likio also stood out at the Vegas 9s and secured a spot at the NRL Combine. Habibi-Likio, with a background in college football with the University of Oregon, is intrigued by the challenge of rugby league and is keen to test his skills at the highest level.

Ex-NRL star Bryson Goodwin, now involved with Pacific Sports Management, commended the talent showcased at the tournament. Goodwin observed that the players demonstrated great potential and will only improve with further exposure to the game. There is optimism surrounding the growth of rugby league in North America.

Bulldogs‘ director Andrew Gifford commended the NRL for expanding the game to North America and opening the 2024 season in Las Vegas. Gifford acknowledged the wealth of talent in the region and believes that rugby league is on the brink of a significant breakthrough in North America. The future looks promising for the sport in the region.
Habibi-Likio . . .Sounds like a local . . . Train and trial :tearsofjoy:

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Watched some of their “9s league” if they can find some players who can tuck and run hard then why not.
Running backs from american football would have the right attributes,if they could get their fitness levels up and learn the game

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Running backs from american football would have the right attributes,if they could get their fitness levels up and learn the game
Would be a shock to the system, I’m sure they could adapt if they really wanted too. Even guys from the local could work but they’d need extensive training.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lifelong league players get caught every week by simple block plays and sweeping backline movements where they have to choose the ball runner or the line runner. Couldn’t fathom how someone would pick it up who’s never played one of the two Rugbys.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lifelong league players get caught every week by simple block plays and sweeping backline movements where they have to choose the ball runner or the line runner. Couldn’t fathom how someone would pick it up who’s never played one of the two Rugbys.
Agree. We have set plays in League but in NFL every play is a rehearsed and practiced play.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Nobody will sell a Lambo to drive a Ford....

Why leave the NFL for the nrLOL?

If anything target the College rejects who are borderline NFL material. Have to get them early to develop their stamina because they won't have a 40 second break in between action.

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nobody will sell a Lambo to drive a Ford....

Why leave the NFL for the nrLOL?

If anything target the College rejects who are borderline NFL material. Have to get them early to develop their stamina because they won't have a 40 second break in between action.
You have been involved with the game and Junior RL a lot more than me, what I've seen of RL players is that to be really good they have to start young. In fact the younger the better,
In the past our club has done some stupid things out of desperation, particularily with signing players who turned out to be ????
It looks to me that the signing Tetaviano and this Americam stuff are also acts of desperation.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You have been involved with the game and Junior RL a lot more than me, what I've seen of RL players is that to be really good they have to start young. In fact the younger the better,
In the past our club has done some stupid things out of desperation, particularily with signing players who turned out to be ????
It looks to me that the signing Tetaviano and this Americam stuff are also acts of desperation.
Yeah I had my boy always play one age division up until last year where they became reigning premiers. Plus it's pretty obvious which kid loves the game and which kid has his dad living through them. They can't hide it.

I don't fall for the US scouting tbh, Gus is smart just throwing that out while everyone is talking about Vegas.

Not death riding Zane, but im not expecting anything at all from him except Reserve grade depth.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a bullshit beat-up to me. Surely we aren't sending Warburton and a Director out now to recruit players.