Opinion Bulldogs' Retention/Recruitment Team - Loyalty in the NRL

Should the Dogs have held onto Cleeland and Woolford for 2019?

• Yes

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 32 66.7%

• Total voters

JTSports

Waterboy
Reaction score
There is no such thing as loyalty in the NRL nor should there be, but sticking to a contract shouldn't be too much of an ask.

I'm tired of contracted players constantly switching teams in the NRL. There is obviously a big story at the moment regarding the possibility of Klemmer leaving for the Knights, which leaves me wondering where our recruitment/retention team's priorities are.

We've let Newcastle sign our ISP hooker, Zac Woolford, when it is clear our first-grade side needs a new look at Hooker in 2019. Woolford was playing awesome footy to conclude 2018, including his MOTM performance in the NSW ISP Grand Final. Now Newcastle is also looking like they're poaching Klemmer.

There's talk of Foran going back to Manly to play under Des, yet we've released Josh Cleeland who won the 2017 Five-Eighth of the Year in NSW ISP and won Man of the Match in the NSW v QLD ISP 2018 Grand Final. If we get rid of Foran, surely Cleeland would partner Lewis in the halves considering we've also lost Frawley to Newcastle.

We're releasing all of our big names in key positions, as well as the young guns in our ISP side's spine who led them to the Grand Final win in 2018.

It's confusing, and I'm not entirely sure where our recruitment/retention team's priorities are. You'd think we'd either be releasing the younger guys and holding onto the big names or releasing some big names in order to free up some cash and hold onto the young guns, not get rid of both.

Thoughts Kennel?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I dunnno but we are fucked... watch us somehow get rid of Foran and replace him with Mitchell Moses... fucking shambles

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Can we just piss the coach board and entire roster bar Josh Jackson off and start fresh ? Please please please Jesus, allah, buddah or any high power being

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There has been talk of Klemmer looking at leaving for a while now. At this point I don't want to think this is any more than a media rehash of that. But stranger things have happened. The club shouldn't even consider releasing him and I doubt they will.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There has been talk of Klemmer looking at leaving for a while now. At this point I don't want to think this is any more than a media rehash of that. But stranger things have happened. The club shouldn't even consider releasing him and I doubt they will.
Watch them bend over and release him.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Watch them bend over and release him.
I'm hoping it's not true and Klem is happy as Larry. And even if it is true this board will hopefully deal with the issues rather than letting a fan favourite go without a similarly skilled replacement join us. But I honestly think that the media are just rehashing this. They don't have anything more factual in the article than past articles. Loads of "it's been reported" kind of sentences and zero quotes from anyone. So I wouldn't put it past the media to be making it up to grab headlines.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
The easiest fix would be for the NRLto hand down punishments for tampering, preferably cap wise

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our club and many of us as fans including myself find it hard to get our head around the media's agenda, which has been directed against our club. While the siege mentality galvanises us our club's staunches supporters, it will undermine our fair weather fans and adversely affect the moral of some of our players.
If the Klemmer report is true then those responsible would be congratulated themselves for a job well done.
If it in not true then the media skum are still working away at it, determined to win in the end, just like they did with SBW, Mason and Barba.
We as fans must encourage our club to consider a contingency plan, because the agenda of hate is too well entrenched to stop.

Last edited:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Jack Cogger will be 7 if Foran can't.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Should've held onto Woolford.

Cleeland was always going to stay in Reserve Grade at best.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Time the club takes a hard stance
Sick of it bending over copping it dry

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
There is no such thing as loyalty in the NRL nor should there be, but sticking to a contract shouldn't be too much of an ask.

I'm tired of contracted players constantly switching teams in the NRL. There is obviously a big story at the moment regarding the possibility of Klemmer leaving for the Knights, which leaves me wondering where our recruitment/retention team's priorities are.

We've let Newcastle sign our ISP hooker, Zac Woolford, when it is clear our first-grade side needs a new look at Hooker in 2019. Woolford was playing awesome footy to conclude 2018, including his MOTM performance in the NSW ISP Grand Final. Now Newcastle is also looking like they're poaching Klemmer.

There's talk of Foran going back to Manly to play under Des, yet we've released Josh Cleeland who won the 2017 Five-Eighth of the Year in NSW ISP and won Man of the Match in the NSW v QLD ISP 2018 Grand Final. If we get rid of Foran, surely Cleeland would partner Lewis in the halves considering we've also lost Frawley to Newcastle.

We're releasing all of our big names in key positions, as well as the young guns in our ISP side's spine who led them to the Grand Final win in 2018.

It's confusing, and I'm not entirely sure where our recruitment/retention team's priorities are. You'd think we'd either be releasing the younger guys and holding onto the big names or releasing some big names in order to free up some cash and hold onto the young guns, not get rid of both.

Thoughts Kennel?
The short term goal so far was to get under the cap. You can't recruit or retain much with no money. But now we are under the cap there is no need to release Klemmer or anyone else really. I'd be pissed if they release Klemmer. And I wouldn't let Foran go unless we pay nothing. Fuck fixing him up to pay for him to play elsewhere

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Why are people saying this is a loyalty issue? It's nothing to do with loyalty.

It's a contractual issue. David Klemmer signed a legally binding contract for four years.

He has not right to expect a release (although is perfectly within his rights to ask for one).

The Bulldogs response to this should be to put him firmly back in his box.

Just because you are worth more at a certain point in time doesn't allow you to play your current club for fools.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We sell more papers then any other Sydney club it’s simple as that! Apparently Klemmer went to Hill with his manager Moses (who of course wants Klemmer to get more money so he does)
Surely Hill can find a third party deal for a current international.
I believe the ‘Klemmer being unhappy in Sydney’ is due to his ears hurting from his manager constantly ringing him telling him he should get out and go to another club

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are people saying this is a loyalty issue? It's nothing to do with loyalty.

It's a contractual issue. David Klemmer signed a legally binding contract for four years.

He has not right to expect a release (although is perfectly within his rights to ask for one).

The Bulldogs response to this should be to put him firmly back in his box.

Just because you are worth more at a certain point in time doesn't allow you to play your current club for fools.
1milion percent correct.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should've held onto Woolford.

Cleeland was always going to stay in Reserve Grade at best.
If Woolford ends up at Newcastle, it will mean that he did not want for to sign with us and play for our club, and the SL story about playing under his father was just a diversion.