Bulldogs player walks out

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some of the contributors to this thread have been sidetracked by the terminology. The "victim" being forced to wrestle with a dozen of his team mates conjures up images of twelve players waiting their turn to lay the smackdown on his candy ass, but what the club calls wrestling is a long way removed from the (simulated) violence of the WWE. There was a thread on here (with pictures) a few months ago, and the "wrestling" was merely grappling and holding. Nobody was hitting a team mate with a spear and jackhammer, it was just another variation of a training exercise, and it is hard to imagine anyone being hurt by it.
The wrestling drill is one of my daughters favourite drills. If the coach told her to do it, she’d ask if she could do it twice. Obviously it’s juniors and not as physical but I’d expect a footy player would prefer it over doing laps or beep tests.

The quote from an insider saying it’s brutal May not have been a footy player or even seen first grade train much. Even if they had, if they’re in bulldogs employ, low act dobbing to the media

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He could have put Skelton in and left Averillo at fullback. Okunbur should have been dropped months ago. You could play anyone instead of him. He concedes 2 tries a game most weeks and doesn't even chase hard once he's missed the tackle that led to the break. If Ciraldo is serious about film review, accountability, standards, hard work etc then how does that player keep getting picked when he's jogging after every break is made that he was the cause of?
Put Skelton in where, centre? He’s played a few games at most in that spot afaik. It’s the most difficult position in the backline to defend. He rightfully didn’t play him there. Only other move he could have made is Perham centre and leave Avo at the back. Whether or not this would have made any difference is anyone’s guess, but Perham has been playing centre in reggies iirc, so there’s that. Avo was dangerous and effective at centre last week though. As for Okunbor, I’m no different to most, that are glad that he’s leaving, but it’s easy to say play ANYONE else and think we’d be better off. You talk about things not making sense, well picking a guy that has no NRL experience instead of one that has 50+ games doesn’t make sense. Yes, even if he’s downright bad. Unless there’s a backrower in reggies demanding to be promoted, I can understand him picking Ok. Remember also, he stopped picking him for a while but then Preston and RFM weren’t available, so he believed he had no choice but to pick him again.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
“Nothing comes without hard work, we have one long day a week and if you get the last massage you‘re probably leaving at 5.30pm,” Ciraldo said.

Imagine your paid work day ended with a paid massage?? How devastatingly awfull!!! No wonder these guys are unhappy!!!
I work 7:30 - 5pm 5 days a week, and barely earn half of NRLol minimum wage. Harden the fuck up boys!!!
actually i think them getting angry about having to wait around for a massage and wanted to go home is the harder/tougher thing

like if the situation was reversed and the club took away the massage and the players were angry about there not being a massage anymore, then people probably would see that as the players are soft as hell

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waddell instead of Okunbur with Skelton on the bench instead. He's had other options. Why hasn't Skelton gotten another run when he's averaged nearly 200m a game in 2 starts and played well against the Panthers?

Of course our team is weak either way but there's no excuse for giving up 40 every week for two months straight. Especially as a defensive coach..
Huh? Waddell started didn’t he? Or was he playing prop? Skelton on the bench nononono no. Sorry bro, I don’t see that working at all unless to play wing.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
plenty of people including people here, gus and cc have used the bulldogs of old as an example
What’s wrong with being the Bulldogs of old?

Big, powerful, tough, relentless bunch of blokes that hated to lose, hated taking a backwards step, that had pride in the jersey and club and wanted to win for it, plus win for themselves and their team mates.

A team of Bulldogs that opposition teams hated playing against and always struggled to win against, that win or lose gave it their all and walked off the field bruised and sore but were ready to stick it up em again the next week …

What’s wrong with wanting to be the Bulldogs of old ?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

Big, powerful, tough, relentless bunch of blokes that hated to lose, hated taking a backwards step, that had pride in the jersey and club and wanted to win for it themselves and never let their team mates down.

A team of Bulldogs that opposition teams hated playing against and always struggled to win against, that win or lose gave it their all and walked off the field bruised and sore but were ready to stick it up em again the next week …

nothing is wrong with it, the problem is the fans who wanted to change from that in 2007/2008, i can bring up the old threads if you want some evidence of bulldogs fans being idiots, they will try to justify any direction the club wants to go

kevin moore did an underrated job and much of haslers apparent success was down to him being a bridge to the old bulldogs ways, he went to UK to recruit James Graham etc but hasler was the person who ripped it all down, and the fans at the time were rejoicing at the greeberg/hasler revolution ffs, it made me sick even then

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score

Big, powerful, tough, relentless bunch of blokes that hated to lose, hated taking a backwards step, that had pride in the jersey and club and wanted to win for it, plus win for themselves and their team mates.

also i have a problem with Gus Gould making any mention of the bulldogs of old when i still think he installed the idea into bulldogs fans heads that this style wasn't working anymore and that led to the 2007/2008 transformation of the club at the election

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He has assembled a very good team, but that team didn't win many games. Massively under achieved. A team and club with a future that doesn't want to do the dirty work like defend.. Holbrook got the balance wrong though.
DES walks in an already started over paying. Des(troyer) loves short term success, the stats may look ok but he leaves a trail of shit behind him.
Holbrook got it right, problem was the kids he had like Tino (despite already being a premiership winner) were not ready to lead the club. All they had to do was be patient imo, but they pulled the trigger.

Last edited:

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This is my read on the whole thing too. Ciraldo is pushing the culture and training regime that is required to be successful. Players were saying all preseason that they had never been pushed so hard, and unfortunately it has broken some of them. These particular players now either need to step up, or piss off. The team is only as strong as its weakest link!!
Yep, that’s why we need to be vetting players much better. I’ve said it a million times we can learn a thing or two from the storm system and how Bellamy does it by sending players to do labour intensive work etc.

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be worse. Could of been premiership favs with stars everywhere and be struggling to make the 8
Roosters don’t deserve to play finals. Robinson has outstayed his tenure. It’s embarrassing that this team needs to win against Souths & hope results go their way to scrap into the 8.
Based on expectations the most disappointing team of 2023.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So is this wrestling / grappling with 12 players just getting someone and holding them down? If so would be good training to help some of the boys get at least 12 tackles right in a game. Maybe they should all be doing the same thing. We can’t let one bloke have better skills than the rest of the squad

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould in his comments confirmed that the player did not walk out of training - rather that it was a week after the "being late punishment" that the player took personal leave. He also raised concerns that medical records had been leaked to the media.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould in his comments confirmed that the player did not walk out of training - rather that it was a week after the "being late punishment" that the player took personal leave. He also raised concerns that medical records had been leaked to the media.
I’m not surprised in the least if these muckraking scum have used dirty tactics like that. Dunno if it is but releasing someone else’s medical records should be a crime.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
nothing is wrong with it, the problem is the fans who wanted to change from that in 2007/2008, i can bring up the old threads if you want some evidence of bulldogs fans being idiots, they will try to justify any direction the club wants to go

kevin moore did an underrated job and much of haslers apparent success was down to him being a bridge to the old bulldogs ways, he went to UK to recruit James Graham etc but hasler was the person who ripped it all down, and the fans at the time were rejoicing at the greeberg/hasler revolution ffs, it made me sick even then
The old saying mate, if you listen to the fans. You’ll join them in the stands ..

The Bulldogs had a great formula, big powerful tough players that lived and breathed winning, that trained till their bodies were in peak condition, and a juniors pathway system that kept producing the next man up.

That’s the only formula they should be working on …

Last edited:

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m not surprised in the least if these muckraking scum have used dirty tactics like that. Dunno if it is but releasing someone else’s medical records should be a crime.
So last nighht it was two players had left the club immediately as a result of training - now no one left training. One player is on personal leave and possibly media gaining access to private medical records.