Bulldogs Player Movements | Re-Signings | Rumour Mill | 2014 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beale would be absolute gold. I rate very highly - been a fan since day one.

Rugby union backs will be able to mix it up in our game, they will kill it in the open space we have. Not to mention most of them have pretty decent kicking games...

But not player would close the door on a rwc.
Union backs have way more space in Union than league and not many of their best would match up to league's best

B

BoonReturns

Why is Loko not available till next year? Wasn't word in late July.
Watch the Bulldogs.com injury update. Our Physio said he is recovering from the patella injury and that he won't be ready until pre season training

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Union backs have way more space in Union than league and not many of their best would match up to league's best
Actually they have far less room. They don't have the 10m that league backs have. Perhaps there is more broken play for them from kick returns etc but from set pieces and rucks and mauls they probably have 3-4m as opposed to 10.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The rumour has started again on twitter with people climbing to have links to the club claiming he is signed and sealed. I won't believe it til I see it
Might be why his form has improved ,knowing his future is sealed with a strong club that will actually pay him

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually they have far less room. They don't have the 10m that league backs have. Perhaps there is more broken play for them from kick returns etc but from set pieces and rucks and mauls they probably have 3-4m as opposed to 10.
Yeah, Union is played mostly through the forwards. When Tuqiri came back to the NRL in his first game he ran more metres than his entire time in Union.

Backs aren't heavily used because of the short distance on the ruck. If you try to pass it out the back, the backs have to stand very deep and that not only loses ground but raises the chance of a turn over without the forwards to clean out. Much more pressure around the ruck in Union and a lot less space to move.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually each team is about 5 metres behind the ruck and so it's 10 also when it's rolling through the forwards it leaves a lot more space out back when they decide to play it out to the centres and whatnot, I've played as an outside back in both games and you definitely have more space to work with in union

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, Union is played mostly through the forwards. When Tuqiri came back to the NRL in his first game he ran more metres than his entire time in Union.

Backs aren't heavily used because of the short distance on the ruck. If you try to pass it out the back, the backs have to stand very deep and that not only loses ground but raises the chance of a turn over without the forwards to clean out. Much more pressure around the ruck in Union and a lot less space to move.
Backs know how to clean out just as much as forwards they just aren't involved in as many rucks, the reason that the forwards take so many hit ups is so that it gives the scrum half and five eighth time to call back line set plays for the backline and because forwards are dumb shits and will keep trying from about 5 metres out and making no progress even if there's a 3 man overlap in the backs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If only Carlin Isles didn't want to play in 2016 Olympics.. I would have LOVED to have him as our fullback. His speed alone would make him a line break king in the NRL.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If only Carlin Isles didn't want to play in 2016 Olympics.. I would have LOVED to have him as our fullback. His speed alone would make him a line break king in the NRL.
he would be useless in league. He has no idea, he just runs around a team by himself.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There is no substitute for speed. Hitting the line a million miles an hour, or being able to change pace in an instant, is why blokes like Billy Slater and Brett Stewart have been so successful as fullbacks.

Unbroken play, all you need is the smallest of gaps, and hit pace, and you'll get straight past a forward or second rower and be in open space.

It's another reason why Barba in 2012 was lethal.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There is no substitute for speed. Hitting the line a million miles an hour, or being able to change pace in an instant, is why blokes like Billy Slater and Brett Stewart have been so successful as fullbacks.

Unbroken play, all you need is the smallest of gaps, and hit pace, and you'll get straight past a forward or second rower and be in open space.

It's another reason why Barba in 2012 was lethal.
He is a gifted athlete but he needs more then speed to make it in the NRL, looking at how thick and big he is compared to athletes in the NRL he would get snapped in half forgo Tempo. Barba had good thickness and size for his height so he could handle the physicality, that American bloke isn't a rugby player he is a olympic level sprinter playing with lots of space in the 7s.

ek999

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lol Carlin Isles. He succeeds in 7s because he simply runs around the players. You can't do that in rugby league or rugby union. If he was a chance of being successful in Rugby Union he would be signed up to a rich contract in European Rugby by now. Instead he was signed by Glasgow and only played in their 7s team

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
with Bennett leaving the nights at the end of the season i would say there is a pretty good chance we may be able to get Darius Boyd now. got money to spend and Bennett has guided his players to our club many times before e.g Ennis, Stagg, Eastwood ect..
the jury is still out on Boyd for me though, he is a great player when he wants to be but can come across as a big arrogant and a bit of a sook when things don't go his way like at the Knights where he then looked as though he did not care a bit like that germ Barba

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
with Bennett leaving the nights at the end of the season i would say there is a pretty good chance we may be able to get Darius Boyd now. got money to spend and Bennett has guided his players to our club many times before e.g Ennis, Stagg, Eastwood ect..
the jury is still out on Boyd for me though, he is a great player when he wants to be but can come across as a big arrogant and a bit of a sook when things don't go his way like at the Knights where he then looked as though he did not care a bit like that germ Barba
Barba was getting paid Boyd wasn't who goes and works for someone without pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.