Bulldogs Player Movements | Re-Signings | Rumour Mill | 2013 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

EYE.CACK

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There is an issue that I heard from yesterday that is starting to creep up.
We were too nice with them surrounding Barba, and now they are playing the price is right with us. The Broncos that is.

To put it simple, the Broncos are asking for more now as they are after someone else (and claim 3rd party deals). I assume its KMH. No surprise that this came straight after their rivals the Titans made a play for him.
As the turnstile that is my brain ticks over, I was unfortunately left a little confused. Plus it seems abit quiet but I'm sorry jimmy, I can't believe we were too nice with barba. We're a shrewed club, aren't we? Assuming we're talking about the transfer fee.

We had a fully, boarding on clinically developed nrl ready player/game breaker/whatever. Marketers dream and all that. As much as i like the idea of the hoff, love saying that, he doesnt attract as much attention, good or bad, as barba does. He even has his own barba.land.

Thats another story but business is business, dogs know it, shonco's know it. I don't believe that they're playing price is right because we were too nice. It doesn't make sense. They are probably just realising they've been screwed.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
As the turnstile that is my brain ticks over, I was unfortunately left a little confused. Plus it seems abit quiet but I'm sorry jimmy, I can't believe we were too nice with barba. We're a shrewed club, aren't we? Assuming we're talking about the transfer fee.

We had a fully, boarding on clinically developed nrl ready player/game breaker/whatever. Marketers dream and all that. As much as i like the idea of the hoff, love saying that, he doesnt attract as much attention, good or bad, as barba does. He even has his own barba.land.

Thats another story but business is business, dogs know it, shonco's know it. I don't believe that they're playing price is right because we were too nice. It doesn't make sense. They are probably just realising they've been screwed.
I didn't say anything about the transfer fee, you guessed wrong about that. I was alluding to releasing your best player (aside of the personal issues), which I agree he should have been released, but in terms of a business move..having a replacement should have been done and dusted, before the release took place. I assume we both agree about that.

The Broncos are after another player, hence why they are asking more for Hoffman. Who is been screwed? I don't think either club is, to answer the last part of your post:grinning: the Broncos are recruiting well, and we will be better off without the drama. If the Broncos regret signing Barba that's their issue, I was referring to them squeezing more out of us, to benefit themselves, when we gave them our best player without having secured a replacement. Hence why I think we were too nice with them, especially toward the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

EYE.CACK

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about the transfer fee, you guessed wrong about that. I was alluding to releasing your best player (aside of the personal issues), which I agree he should have been released, but in terms of a business move..having a replacement should have been done and dusted, before the release took place. I assume we both agree about that.

The Broncos are after another player, hence why they are asking more for Hoffman. If the Broncos regret signing Barba that's their issue, I was referring to them squeezing more out of us, to benefit themselves, when we gave them our best player without having secured a replacement. Hence why I think we were too nice with them, especially toward the end.
In des I trust. I need a holiday.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
In des I trust. I need a holiday.
Believe me Des is the best thing to happen to our club in a long time:grinning:, but in regards to this Barba issue, he really wanted Barba at the club - it wasn't his decision in the end, he tried to avoid it as much as possible. Des more or so felt portrayed after Barba's interview on foxsports, when he was giggling and smirking about wanting to move up to Brisbane, although things were pretty much already decided by then.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Believe me Des is the best thing to happen to our club in a long time:grinning:, but in regards to this Barba issue, he really wanted Barba at the club - it wasn't his decision in the end, he tried to avoid it as much as possible. Des more or so felt portrayed after Barba's interview on foxsports, when he was giggling and smirking about wanting to move up to Brisbane, although things were pretty much already decided by then.
Definitely cant question Dessie's loyalty ,i don't think benny Barba realises how much he needs des,hell find out soon enough

EYE.CACK

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Maybe des needs the holiday :grinning:

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of modern day footballers. I can't stay up partying all night. I better not forget my jacket.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Colour me stupid BUT .. could the underlying reason Broncos are wanting to hold onto Hoffman, be that there is doubt in their minds that Barba will last a season without self destructing, or infact that he'll do something stupid and end up sacked before seasons end..

Could make sense!

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Colour me stupid BUT .. could the underlying reason Broncos are wanting to hold onto Hoffman, be that there is doubt in their minds that Barba will last a season without self destructing, or infact that he'll do something stupid and end up sacked before seasons end..

Could make sense!
You may well be onto something there.

N

Natboy

Could make sense!
And his "ankle dramas" that affect his heart muscle

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think the average player is on 300k or so? Not everyone can get 500k. So those people you just mentioned as being on "good coin" are probably all on way less than 500k, easy to fit into a $6.3M salary cap.
I highly doubt Luke, Reynolds, Sutton, S Burgess are on less then 400-500k+ for some.

Not to mention Inglis eating up a huge slice... oh and the other 20 odd players including a few more origin reps and international reps.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I highly doubt Luke, Reynolds, Sutton, S Burgess are on less then 400-500k+ for some.

Not to mention Inglis eating up a huge slice... oh and the other 20 odd players including a few more origin reps and international reps.
Yeah so let's assume those 4 guys are on 500k each (which I will bet they all aren't but anyway) that's 2 million at best plus let's say Inglis is on I dunno 700k to be generous (Was he upgraded yet?) that's still only 2.7 million. Heaps of people would be on less than 200k and you only have to pay 25 people. The average for the final 21 people is 171k.

Teams can easily afford 5-10 expensive players, as long as they have a fair few rookies on low salaries. Which Souths has.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Kiwis fullback Josh Hoffman says he will make a decision on his NRL future after he returns to Brisbane following the World Cup.

The 25-year-old has been the focus of speculation following the Broncos' high-profile signing of 2012 Dally M Medallist Ben Barba. Broncos teammate Justin Hodges also inflamed the situation when he told AAP, "I don't think [Hoffman] is the right guy for fullback'' and questioned his passing ability.

Hoffman is contracted to Brisbane until the end of 2015 but is reportedly disillusioned and weighing up his options, with the Bulldogs - the club Barba gained a release from to join the Broncos - one of two clubs said to be interested in his services.

He spent most of the season on the wing, scoring 15 tries, but prefers fullback and his chances appear bleak with Barba's arrival - although Brisbane could interchange the pair during games in much the same way Hoffman sometimes did with Hodges between fullback and centre this year.

Broncos great Wally Lewis also thinks Braba could be a success at five-eighth.

The Broncos have said they won't release Hoffman under any circumstances but he said he will address that when he returns from the UK. It's likely he will have had talked the situation through with Kiwis coach and Brisbane assistant Stephen Kearney.

"There has been a lot of speculation,'' he said. "At this stage, I'm just trying to play some good footy at the World Cup and hopefully win the World Cup. Once that is all done and dusted and I get back to Brisbane I will hopefully make my decision from there.

"I'm trying to avoid everything and just focus on what is going on here.''

Hoffman's main concern is trying to get his shoulder right to play Scotland in Saturday morning's (NZT) quarter-final in Leeds. He wrenched the AC joint in his shoulder in last weekend's 56-10 defeat of Papua New Guinea, something he did in the final game of the NRL season.

Like then, Hoffman feared his World Cup might be over.

"I was really lucky to get out of that one,'' he said of the first time he injured his shoulder. "The scans came out really positive and I'm lucky to be here. At the time I did the shoulder against the Kumuls it was hard to take. I reflected on what happened in the club game.

"At this stage I am trying to keep out of the physical contact. If it gets any sorer, I might have to get a needle in it. There's nothing a needle can't fix.''

The Kiwis are confident Hoffman will be fine to play against Scotland but have Warriors fullback Kevin Locke ready to step in. Locke can be a matchwinner on his day but produced a patchy display in his only World Cup appearance against France.

Hoffman would be in line to play his sixth test since making his debut in last year's Anzac test at Eden Park. It wasn't one the Kiwis anticipated a couple of years previously until they learned of Hoffman's heritage.

He was born and raised in Mackay, north Queensland, and played representative football for Queensland juniors and it was assumed he would press for higher honours with the Maroons and Australia. But a trip with his New Zealand-born father to Rotorua late in 2010 changed everything when they visited his father's marae and the tribe's ancient burial site.

"That was a special moment for me and my dad,'' Hoffman remembered.

"It was seeing my dad and the way he was emotional about the history of our ancestors who were once on that land and the way it touched him. It really had that connection with me. Seeing him emotional made me emotional. Just being there, the presence of the whole marae, made me want to play for the Kiwis.''

http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/hoffman-to-decide-on-future-after-world-cup-11543/

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoffman: Oh the debate about where I will be next year had gone a bit quiet, better get that back in the media!

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a negative nancy, what will happen if Hoffman doesn't come over?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeah so let's assume those 4 guys are on 500k each (which I will bet they all aren't but anyway) that's 2 million at best plus let's say Inglis is on I dunno 700k to be generous (Was he upgraded yet?) that's still only 2.7 million. Heaps of people would be on less than 200k and you only have to pay 25 people. The average for the final 21 people is 171k.

Teams can easily afford 5-10 expensive players, as long as they have a fair few rookies on low salaries. Which Souths has.
Ah guessing you missed it. Inglis is on a mil a year and his deal increases as the cap does. Same as JT.

Anyhow regardless if you don't think S Burgess is on huge coin too now after extending I'm not sure if you have watched him. Though what falls under the cap is not sure. Then they also have guys like Te'o, McQueen, G Burgess, Merritt etc who would not be on that 171-200k. I'd think its safe to say that Te'o & G Burgess would be much closer to 400k. Te'o was bought to replace Taylor while he was killing it for the Broncos and G Burgess just got his upgrade and was one of the most devastating young props in the comp. Throw in McQueen who has been upgraded from origin and there was a report he was on minimum to increase to somewhere between 275-300k. Throw in guys like Walker & Keary who have to have got some nice pay upgrades especially when most were keen on Keary.

I'm not saying how they are is cheating. I think what they did upgrading G Burgess, Keary, Walker, T Burgess, McQueen etc was factoring in the likes of Crocker (let's face it didn't play for 2 years), Asotasi etc departing who would of been on solid money.

That said if they some how add Ferguson & Matulino it's quiet clear its rubbish.

I mean let's be real here. Inglis is on more then any 2 of our star players. S Burgess would be on as much as any of our top players. Then throw in G Burgess who likely is on what Kasiano is after similar break out years. Te'o, Sutton, Reynolds, Merrrit, McQueen, L Burgess, T Burgess, Luke who are all international and or state reps. Then kids who would of been heavily chased and upgraded like Keary, Walker etc. If they somehow add Ferguson & Matulino it's obscene.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you say Keary and Reynolds are on HUGE coin? they are on 300k MAX..

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Hoffman: Oh the debate about where I will be next year had gone a bit quiet, better get that back in the media!
the vast majority have been his management doing the talking, I guess this puts it into perspective, as its coming from the man himself.
he definitely wasn't happy in Brisbane before he left, I don't think they will convince him to stay if he doesn't want to. Same scenario as Barba (without the off field issues of course).

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Could make sense!
What if his family leave again and this time go back to Mackay?? What if he gets "home sick" AGAIN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.