News Bulldogs on brink of civil war as coup to remove board trio begins

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs are on the brink of civil war after a letter signed by life members and former premiership players was officially lodged to overthrow chair Lynne Anderson and two other high profile board members.
The letter, featuring 116 signatures of members with full voting rights, was tabled with chief executive Andrew Hill on Tuesday calling for an extraordinary general meeting to oust Anderson, John Ballesty and Paul Dunn.
The trio sit on the club's seven-person football club board.

While speculation of the coup has been swirling for weeks, the handover of the signatures ensures the Bulldogs are engulfed in further political turmoil at a time when incoming coach Trent Barrett is due to arrive at Belmore to revive the club's on-field fortunes.

Anderson, Ballesty and Dunn will have 21 days to respond to the letter and organise an EGM, and should they choose to dig their heels in they could be headed to a vote within 21 days after that.
The coup is believed to have been driven by one of the club's primary sponsors, which has spoken to other backers of the Bulldogs and disgruntled voting members. It has gathered enough signatures to force an EGM under the club's constitution.
Anderson, the daughter of Bulldogs godfather Peter "Bullfrog" Moore, led a ticket which swept to power at the club's elections in 2018, ending chairman Ray Dib's reign.

But despite being re-elected earlier this year, the Bulldogs have been grappling with boardroom rifts and uneasy supporters demanding change, even despite the club parting ways with Dean Pay and appointing Penrith assistant Barrett as its new coach from 2021.

Canterbury League Club chairman George Coorey was removed earlier this month over allegations of lewd behaviour towards women. Dunn was installed as his temporary replacement.
Coorey has threatened legal action over his removal as chairman.

The Herald also revealed Ballesty failed to tell fellow board members he co-owned a hotel with pub baron Arthur Laundy, who recently signed a deal to sponsor the club.

The Bulldogs finished their season with a 42-0 thumping at the hands of minor premiers Penrith, only narrowly avoiding the wooden spoon with a shock win over the Rabbitohs the week prior.

Barrett will be sweating on the fate of star English forward Luke Thompson, who will face the NRL judiciary on Tuesday night over allegations he eye gouged Panthers captain James Tamou. A lengthy suspension would rule him out of the opening rounds of next year's season.

More to come
Source :
By Adam Pengilly SMH

September 29, 2020 — 12.11pm

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone still think it's a media beat up?

Thank F@ck this will be sorted before next season. Clean the place out from top to bottom. Sure we don't know what the new CEO or board will bring but all I know is this current mob need to go now!!!

Well done to the ex players getting involved and saving the club they helped create.

Bring it on!!!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care who's in charge as long as they know what they're doing and things settle down.. no matter what side of the fence you are on, all parties must realize this ain't good for the club..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
116 of a potential what?

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There’s between 1000-1200 voting members.
Sorry Dinkum I’ve only been on the Kennel for a month or so I wanted to know are you a part of the board ? Or have strong ties with the board ? Or just support the board

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone still think it's a media beat up?

Sure we don't know what the new CEO or board will bring but all I know is this current mob need to go now!!!
So 116 signatures. Not that long ago it was claimed to be 400+.

So the Directors in question have to respond.
They’ll run the numbers and determine their support and we’ll see how it plays out.

New CEO? Hill is an employee and not part of an EGM. The only way he goes is if he quits, if his contract is not renewed when it expires or he’s fired by the Chair for fair reason, because it’s not directly linked to any moves by any members.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They only need 100 to force the EGM so there’s no point getting more. In saying that they’ll need a lot more support then 116 people to do anything at the EGM.
That's my point.. it's not like their was an overwhelming response to further the cause..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sorry Dinkum I’ve only been on the Kennel for a month or so I wanted to know are you a part of the board? Or have strong ties with the board? Or just support the board
The best way to answer your question is to say that I think they should be allowed to finish the job they started and disrupting that now only places the club further on the back foot in my view. If some of the requirements still yet to be completed aren’t delivered in the next 12 months then by all means replace them in early 2022, as I’ve always said.