News Bulldogs look to youth in 2020

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Again with the excuses. They've been here for years and we're the fucking Bulldogs, shit needs to get done quick smart. Clubs have gutted and replace numerous staff far quicker than this, this lot simply haven't been anywhere near aggressive enough do get things done, and even when things do get done it's just a mate getting a job or someone else getting a new role.
The problem is, as usual, we don't know what we don't know. Just like players club administrators often have contracts, so if you sack someone who is on contract then you have to pay out that contract (unless there is something like misconduct for example). Just because you think they are average at their job doesn't get you out of the contract. If you then replace them with someone else then you have to pay them at the same time ie; double the cost until the contract runs its course. If, say, the budget won't accommodate paying double then there may well be no choice but to at least keep someone doing an "average job" than have no one doing it at all. Plus of course the bleaters would be bitching and moaning about not having someone in the role.

We had to pay out Hasler and reportedly he still had ~$2m owing on his contract, I don't know how much we ended up paying to terminate the contract early, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been insubstantial. Which means we quite possibly couldn't afford to double up on the others that we might have wanted to replace. Of course we have a rich leagues club but I have no doubt that they gave us a budget, an allocation, for the year and may have already committed funds to other areas. So the football club going back to leagues club and asking for a couple of $million extra may not have been possible.

Of course you may write that off as just another "excuse", but it could just as easily be a valid reason for the time frame involved. We don't know what we don't know.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
There massive, just ask the party horn blowers on here.
Your right, most would just take it in their stride,but maybe it seriously is a massive achievement for this lot.
You hit the nail on the head, they are not aggressive enough.
Rome wasn't built in a day, but i have met committed and aggressive individuals in my time who could build it in 3.
Snails pace this lot
So Rome was built in 3 days, eh Teddy?
Just imagine if you had your 20 ‘failed’ signings - you could’ve knocked that down to 2 days! :-)

(Never mind we’d be over the cap and likely have some troublemakers which would line the Terrorgraph up to be all over us. Oh! But just a few short hours ago you were arguing about ‘brand destruction’ caused by Mad Monday - which one is it pal - you can’t have it both ways).

PS: my history books say Rome took a lot longer than 3 days to build.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is, as usual, we don't know what we don't know. Just like players club administrators often have contracts, so if you sack someone who is on contract then you have to pay out that contract (unless there is something like misconduct for example). Just because you think they are average at their job doesn't get you out of the contract. If you then replace them with someone else then you have to pay them at the same time ie; double the cost until the contract runs its course. If, say, the budget won't accommodate paying double then there may well be no choice but to at least keep someone doing an "average job" than have no one doing it at all. Plus of course the bleaters would be bitching and moaning about not having someone in the role.

We had to pay out Hasler and reportedly he still had ~$2m owing on his contract, I don't know how much we ended up paying to terminate the contract early, but I'm sure it wouldn't have been insubstantial. Which means we quite possibly couldn't afford to double up on the others that we might have wanted to replace. Of course we have a rich leagues club but I have no doubt that they gave us a budget, an allocation, for the year and may have already committed funds to other areas. So the football club going back to leagues club and asking for a couple of $million extra may not have been possible.

Of course you may write that off as just another "excuse", but it could just as easily be a valid reason for the time frame involved. We don't know what we don't know.

Go Dogs
Bang on, not to mention there is an NRL mandated spending cap on football operations, which is where Hasler’s payout would’ve had to be filed and likely spread out over at least two years if the number I was told was close to the mark.

Another inconvenient fact for those who don’t like facts :-)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
That was absolutely not the problem, bloody hell. Okay Roosters 2013, oh but I already know your reply will be something something Roosters are cheats.
Brian Smith was the coach in 2012 and he resigned, hence no contract pay out. Leaving the way clear for Robinson to take over in 2013. That's a rather substantial difference compared to what we paid Hasler to terminate his contract 2 years early. It is also common for the coaching staff to have similar contracts to the head coach, so there may not have been any issue with having to pay them out either.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Just imagine if you had your 20 ‘failed’ signings - you could’ve knocked that down to 2 days! :-)
(Never mind we’d be over the cap and likely have some troublemakers which would line the Terrorgraph up to be all over us. Oh! But just a few short hours ago you were arguing about ‘brand destruction’ caused by Mad Monday - which one is it pal - you can’t have it both ways).
When replying you have to keep in mind that Teddy's posts are like a washing machine, they go one way to elicit a response and then completely reverse direction to elicit another response. What I call "agitator posting", with no continuity whatsoever, possibly because that would reduce their effect. I haven't as yet determined whether it's a deliberate posting methodology or a contingent event in response to others' postings. Time will tell either way.

Go Dogs

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your entitled to your opinion mate
When replying you have to keep in mind that Teddy's posts are like a washing machine, they go one way to elicit a response and then completely reverse direction to elicit another response. What I call "agitator posting", with no continuity whatsoever, possibly because that would reduce their effect. I haven't as yet determined whether it's a deliberate posting methodology or a contingent event in response to others' postings. Time will tell either way.

Go Dogs

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time is a wonderful thing.
Let's see what the history books write about the DNB.

PS: my history books say Rome took a lot longer than 3 days to build.

Dave0175

Waterboy
Reaction score
Des inherited a pretty decent squad in 2012 ... who are you kidding. We still didn't win a grand final even with the daily M player of the year ...
Des was a dick... an era I wish to forget
We are finally coming out of his backended deals tragedy...
Had he been more Intelligent we wouldn't have lost James Graham David klemmer Josh Reynolds etc etc
He let the likes of Martin tapau walk out the door and welcomed in T rex ... really
Des wanted and took total control of our club and he ruined it
I wish he had just stuck to coaching and kept out of the contract side of things ...
Things could have been different
But the fact is ... he decimated our family club and lost our juniors
Thank God we at least have someone here now who believes in our juniors and doesn't get rid of them for quick success just to look good and meet his quota
We have a good future ahead of us and will eventually ride years of success ... hopefully
Under Des we made 2 Grandfinals, produced a dally m player of the year and had one of the most exciting seasons in years. People need to stop acting like the entire Des era was all bad.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Bang on, not to mention there is an NRL mandated spending cap on football operations, which is where Hasler’s payout would’ve had to be filed and likely spread out over at least two years if the number I was told was close to the mark.
Another inconvenient fact for those who don’t like facts :-)
By flicking Hasler at the end of the 2017 season I think we may have gotten in just in time to avoid his pay out being included in the football department cap. But the departures of other staff would have been delayed by the previous board till after the elections in February 2018 and I suspect that they may have had to be included. Another we don't know what we don't know example.

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
By flicking Hasler at the end of the 2017 season I think we may have gotten in just in time to avoid his pay out being included in the football department cap. But the departures of other staff would have been delayed by the previous board till after the elections in February 2018 and I suspect that they may have had to be included. Another we don't know what we don't know example.

Go Dogs
Agree on don’t know all the details, but the Anderson board had to settle the Hasler payout, so that most definitely would’ve ended up in 2018 and likely 2019 football department cap.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree on don’t know all the details, but the Anderson board had to settle the Hasler payout, so that most definitely would’ve ended up in 2018 and likely 2019 football department cap.
That football department cap isn’t even in operation it’s just something Greenberg flapped his gums about but never actually acted upon it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
That football department cap isn’t even in operation it’s just something Greenberg flapped his gums about but never actually acted upon it.
Really? So why do they publish the details like the salary cap auditors oversee it? Maybe because they’re too busy with enforcing the player cap?? :-)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Actually paying the money isn't the trigger, terminating the contract determines the timing. The football department cap works the same as the player salary cap, it's what's written in the contracts, when the cash actually flows is irrelevant. The NRL reporting on it seems to confirm this, "Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs officials may have avoided playing this season with up to $1 million less than rival clubs for football department spending by parting ways with Des Hasler last September".

Source https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/winning-starts-monday-nrl-coaches-get-extra-job-security/

Go Dogs

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Actually paying the money isn't the trigger, terminating the contract determines the timing. The football department cap works the same as the player salary cap, it's what's written in the contracts, when the cash actually flows is irrelevant. The NRL reporting on it seems to confirm this, "Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs officials may have avoided playing this season with up to $1 million less than rival clubs for football department spending by parting ways with Des Hasler last September".

Source https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/05/winning-starts-monday-nrl-coaches-get-extra-job-security/

Go Dogs
Gotcha. Cheers for clearing that up, I learnt something today :-)

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I like deano.
The bloke has said it himself, he needs some quality players to help him and the team.
Unfortunately, if things don't go well this year, the do nothing board will make him the scapegoat to save their asses from the noise.
Well the 'do nothing' board got rid of the useless players in Mbye, Liccha and Woods and cleared most of the capspace and finally gave us a decent fullback in DWZ (which we haven't had since Barba). Like you I am concered about that lack in big names, but complaining on a forum won't solve anything. If you have problems I am sure you can get a footy club membership and express your concerns directly to the board at the next members meeting.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks champ,

I have been a member for over 16 years.

I can do both.

Keep them honest and accountable
Well the 'do nothing' board got rid of the useless players in Mbye, Liccha and Woods and cleared most of the capspace and finally gave us a decent fullback in DWZ (which we haven't had since Barba). Like you I am concered about that lack in big names, but complaining on a forum won't solve anything. If you have problems I am sure you can get a footy club membership and express your concerns directly to the board at the next members meeting.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks champ,

I have been a member for over 16 years.

I can do both.

Keep them honest and accountable
Good to hear. My father and I have been members since 2018. I will happily express of my opinions and views as its directly to them and not on an internet forum.

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good stuff mate
Good to hear. My father and I have been members since 2018. I will happily express of my opinions and views as its directly to them and not on an internet forum.