Bulldogs likely to sack Reni Maitua

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[h=1]Canterbury Bulldogs veteran Reni Maitua likely to have played last NRL game[/h]DateNovember 26, 2014 - 10:00PM

[h=3]Adrian Proszenko[/h][h=4]Chief Rugby League Reporter[/h]View more articles from Adrian Proszenko
Follow Adrian on Twitter Email Adrian

• in[COLOR=#333333 !important]Share
[/COLOR]

On his way?: Reni Maitua. Photo: Getty Images
Reni Maitua has likely played his last game in the NRL, with the Bulldogs tipped to part company with the former representative star.
Maitua is contracted to Canterbury for 2015 but his future has again been clouded by his indiscretion, a brawl outside Brisbane nightspot Hot Gossip. The 32-year-old and Samoan teammates Tautau Moga and Sauaso Sue were fined $10,000 each for their role in the incident and were made to stand down for part of the Four Nations tournament. Maitua is scheduled to appear in court after being charged over the incident, which occurred after the Pacific nation's team function in Fortitude Valley. The NRL's integrity unit is monitoring the situation while Bulldogs officials are also in discussions about Maitua's future.
The former NSW and Australian star is holidaying in Bali with a host of other NRL stars and isn't due back to preseason training until January.
It's understood Maitua and the Bulldogs are discussing the feasibility of the veteran utility playing on and it's possible he will announce his retirement before next year's kick off. Canterbury officials inserted a number of behavioural clauses in Maitua's contract and he came perilously close to being sacked after assaulting a taxi driver last year. If he is convicted in court, it will certainly be the end of his career, although it's increasingly likely he will finish up regardless.
"There are a number of different options in the air at the moment and I'm not exactly sure where that ball is going to land," said Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle. "We haven't gotten to that place at the moment. The club has had a number of personal discussions with Reni about what he thinks is the right thing for him going forward as well. There is no final decision."
Maitua has struggled with personal problems, including depression, and the Bulldogs are mindful of sensitively handling any potential exit strategy. However, the chances of consistent first-grade selection are remote given the depth of the Dogs' pack and the emergence of young stars such as Mose Mbye, one of his close mates at the club.
"The club is in a wait-and-see situation until these court [matters are resolved]," Castle said. "Until then we can't make any final decisions on Reni's future."
Maitua, who has spoken about his personal battles to help remove the stigma surrounding mental illness, has played 174 NRL games since making his debut for the Bulldogs a decade ago.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lucky I was sitting down when I saw this thread ;)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Considering the Bulldogs official website made a song and dance the other day about Maitua returning to training. I can't see him being sacked.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the person who wrote this mentally slow or am I wrong in thinking that this is already all over and dealt with? I thought the course and everything had settled it

marsh43

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the person who wrote this mentally slow or am I wrong in thinking that this is already all over and dealt with? I thought the course and everything had settled it
Far from over if he was charged and is waiting to appear in court.

N

Natboy

Far from over if he was charged and is waiting to appear in court.
Spot on. You can see why the bulldogs were hesitant to comment prior to court
I like Reni but am happy with our depth and he didn't set the world on fire last year

rogueflare

popeye
Reaction score
174 games in 10 years. That is a long career and pretty good stats considering his lengthy suspensions. Makes me wonder though - who has the longest NRL career, but has played the least amount of games - due to injury or fringe first grader, etc etc...?

Do we have a stats guru among us who can answer this?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
174 games in 10 years. That is a long career and pretty good stats considering his lengthy suspensions. Makes me wonder though - who has the longest NRL career, but has played the least amount of games - due to injury or fringe first grader, etc etc...?

Todd Carney gotta be up there.

Gotta be top 3 halves in NSW, but he just didn't have the right head or mentor.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
Considering the Bulldogs official website made a song and dance the other day about Maitua returning to training. I can't see him being sacked.
So he returned to training whilst on holiday in Bali? Did I miss something?

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score

Brad Morrin

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who cares about depression after ten years he should be able to say he can't be hurt any longer then get on with it.
The thing with having a relatively young pack is a few veterans are needed.

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all honesty I'm surprised he has lasted as long as he has. I imagine the Bulldogs are seeing what happens at court and what the public reaction is before punishing him. If he is going to cause problems he isn't worth keeping on seeing as he is a fringe firstgrader at best.

Izy

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reni is deadwood.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOLL... James Tedesco will top that list if he is consistent and needs knee reconstructions every year.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He should retire before he get himself more into trouble. Very disappointing Reni.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I think you'll find that Reni will retire whilst still having some sort of role at the club. 95% of the time he is a really good bloke with genuine leadership and mentor qualities but it seems you put a beer in his hand and that goes out the window, which seems to be a common trait in a lot of islander players.

I would be reluctant to simply cut him loose considering his problems and considering the backlash that was aimed at us for apparently not doing enough to help Tandy.

Status
Not open for further replies.