Bulldogs Jersey Flegg - We are the CHAMPIONS!!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
At the game, surprising a good crowd. Harry Hayes easily MOM. Involved in two tries & scored one. Should great hands & timing. Tackled well & made meters. Equally impressive last match. Johansen has had another cracker of a game as a replacement. Good footwork & has a good offload. Jack Todd toiled hard all match. KO & Papalii has quiet games the 1st half & played better in the 2nd half. KO plays a much better traditional 5/8 role in Jersey Flegg. (Suspect different coaching instruction. O'Neil was busy without being too flash. Managed the game well in the final 5 minutes pinpoint kicks into the corner. Needs to get greater depth in his kicks, I am sure he will be working on that.
Thanks for the run down. The team look very tight and coach etc look like they have fostered great comraderie. How good to see a Bulldogs successful team winning a premiership :grinning:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Great signs for the future, How many of these young blokes do you think are close to FG? I couldn’t watch the game .
I think you have to watch the full season to be sure mate. I watched about 6-8 Flegg games this year. IMO there is the obvious KO, Papali’i , Marshall & O’Neil. I’d like to see more of Hipoi, Harry Hayes has potential still needs to fill out a bit.

And up front also Zac Montgomery, Tim Johanssen and Jack Todd were all Impressive at times and worth keeping an eye on. Some others who watched more games might add a bit more to that. A lot the above mentioned guys are only young too and qualify to play Flegg again if needed.

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I was thinking about this earlier today and I do agree. NSW cup is nice to win of course, but our recent history of success there hasn’t meant much.

Bears playing the grand final today and have a number of players that have been around the traps and failed to step up when they’ve had the chance.
Probably failed to 'step up' because of the bear traps...

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Personally I’d rather win a Flegg cup then reserve grade because reserve grade can be deceiving. It’s still an achievement but you can have a team with plenty of FG experience but players that aren’t quite up to FG week to week like we did in 2018.

Flegg is basically the best players of their age group against each other. Still some work to do to transition to FG but you are building the foundations.
I agree - imho its a much better predictor of the future of the club than reserve grade = more potential in u21s than there is in reserve grade where guys like Buddy Godon Zack docker Clay still get game time. Not saying it is a stronger comp but just more potential in the players.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you have to watch the full season to be sure mate. I watched about 6-8 Flegg games this year. IMO there is the obvious KO, Papali’i , Marshall & O’Neil. I’d like to see more of Hipoi, Harry Hayes has potential still needs to fill out a bit.

And up front also Zac Montgomery, Tim Johanssen and Jack Todd were all Impressive at times and worth keeping an eye on. Some others who watched more games might add a bit more to that. A lot the above mentioned guys are only young too and qualify to play Flegg again if needed.
Thanks for the reply mate, some names to watch out for, we don’t get to see a lot of the younger grades in NSW play up here.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to the pups, so good to see good focused development and a winning culture in our lower grades again … this is where all our past successes mostly came from, young kids who came through our grades together that love the club & are blue & white through and through .. in the past we really only needed to go out and buy a few players here and there …

People forget that we were the best development club in the league, we were the current Panthers back when they could only wish they were us ..

When us fans talk about the club being on the up, this is what we mean & what we’re talking about …

When these kids start to filter through to 1st grade we’ll start giving the competition a real shake again …

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last time we won the jersey flegg was the times we had Thurston and sonny…. Could be a repeat of good times ahead I hope.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a great win.. Huge effort from the pups to win Matts and Flegg. Our last few NRL Grand Final teams have had several Flegg graduates.. Hopefully some of this batch can do the same in FG down the road. Exciting times ahead!

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree - imho its a much better predictor of the future of the club than reserve grade = more potential in u21s than there is in reserve grade where guys like Buddy Godon Zack docker Clay still get game time. Not saying it is a stronger comp but just more potential in the players.
Technically, NSW cup can have older more experienced players who are still standouts in Cup but on the way down and most likely not good enough for first grade.

Flegg is where the players still have the ability to improve and become first graders.