Bulldogs Jersey Flegg - We are the CHAMPIONS!!!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
2023 Grand Final
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Sydney Roosters
Sun September 24 2023, 1:00pm
at CommBank Stadium, Parramatta / Burramattagal

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs

1. Joash Papali'i 2. Jordi Mazzone 3. Danny Gabrael 4. Eli Clark 5. William Afualo 6. Karl Oloapu 7. Joseph O'Neil 8. Jack Todd 9. Reuben Moyle 10. Lipoi Hopoi 11. Harry Hayes 12. Luke Smith 13. Damon Marshall

14. Jonah Glover 15. Tim Johannssen 16. Fahmy Toilalo 17. Zac Montgomery

24. Lajuan Vito 19. Joseph Teaupa 20. Jonathan Sua 23. Epeli Sukanaivalu 26. Sione Moala

Sydney Roosters

1. Owen Flaherty 2. Xavier Chatfield-Mooka 3. Kyron Fekitoa 4. Vaiala Tamati 5. Tavita Henare-Schuster 6. Jake Elliott 7. Cassius Tia 8. Sione Vaenuku 9. Alan Holten 10. Taylor Logan 11. Phoenix Steinwede 12. Max McCathie 13. Caleb Tohi

15. Salesi Foketi 16. Jordan Swann 17. Braith Alexander 18. Lafi Tuinauvai

19. Benaiah Ioelu 20. Angus Fahey 21. Blake Steep 22. Christian Abal 23. Emery Jolliffe

Referees: Kieren Irons;Sideline Officials: Nathan Loveday, Liam Nicholls;
If by a miracle I'm out of here and can go to the game, do I have to book tickets or can I just rock up at the game?

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If by a miracle I'm out of here and can go to the game, do I have to book tickets or can I just rock up at the game?
I think they're a little cheaper online? I bought a family pass for $20 and another kid for $5 when we went last year to watch the NSW Cup. I think at the gate it was family for $25 from memory, so not much more

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jersey Flegg: Key Match-ups in Roosters and Bulldogs Grand Final At CommBank

Via Telegraph Sport
By Jason Hosken

Career opportunities are on the line for a host of rising stars in this weekend’s Jersey Flegg grand final between the Roosters and Bulldogs. Here’s several key match-ups for Sunday’s decider.

For many, this weekend’s Jersey Flegg decider is the last chance to impress before making the transition to the senior grades.

In a clash of contrasts, the Roosters with back-to-back minor premierships tackle a rising Bulldogs side eager to add the under-21s trophy to the Harold Matthews Cup (U17s) won earlier this year.

With the hope of long term contracts and a pathway to higher honours, Bulldogs coach Luke Vella summed up the predicament faced by many of his budding young stars.

You’re out of school, or picking up a trade, it can be tough,” said Vella.

“Flegg can be make or break for many players.”

Roosters coach Dean Feeney echoed the thoughts and noted the challenge with building team unity.

“Since I’ve been here at the Roosters, the brief has always been about development and making the guys better players and to push them higher,” said Feeney.

“So there’s no real pressure on the guys, it’s up to them to decide what legacy the class of 2023 leaves, whether that’s one of a resilient team or one where individuals are looking towards a contract for 2024.”

While a number of familiar names will be in action, there’s also new faces, who with a strong showing could secure long term deals.

Here’s a list of match-ups set to influence Sunday’s outcome.

FULLBACKS

JOASH PAPALII (BULLDOGS)

Still only 18, the powerfully built No.1 is highly regarded at Canterbury and has spent the majority of the season in the NSW Cup.

Dropped back to Flegg in the closing rounds, where his dynamic kick returns have assisted the side’s climb up the ladder following last season’s eighth spot finish.

A genuine tackle breaker, Papalii is expected to push for NRL honours in 2024, and is one the Roosters will need to watch in combination with five-eighth Karl Oloapu.

OWEN FLAHERTY (ROOSTERS)

A genuine Roosters feel-good story. Flaherty entered the season without a contract but according to Feeney, if there was a Flegg rookie of the year award, the long striding No.1 would be his pick.

Like many in the division, the Central Coast product has come good following a recent growth spurt and a brilliant pre-season.

Tough as nails and unrelenting through the middle, he’s fast developing into a must keep for the Bondi boys.

HALVES

KARL OLOAPU (BULLDOGS)

No stranger to the big stage, the 18-year-old Queenslander joined the Dogs this season on a four-year deal and has already played seven matches in the NRL.

More than a natural talent, Vella praised his playmakers hard work and tenacity.

Known for his unique ability to dig into the line and take a shot, Oloapu is key to opening doors for the speedsters out wide.

CASSIUS TIA (ROOSTERS)

Cassius Tia wasn’t in the Roosters line-up that was rocked by Canterbury 26-6 two weeks ago.

Highly skilled with an imposing presence, Tia returned last week to rip the Eels apart in the preliminary final with four try assists, three goals and a crucial field goal.

A standout performer earlier this year in SG Ball, injuries have limited Tia’s contribution in Flegg, but with an all or nothing attitude he’s sure to entertain.

BACKROWERS

HARRY HAYES (BULLDOGS)

Another to defy the odds, Hayes has come a long way since struggling to hold down an SG Ball spot three years ago.

Nearing 21, the rangy backrower’s commitment to travel from the Central Coast has been rewarded with numerous appearances in the NSW Cup.

Often first to training and the last to leave, he’s already become a role model for teammates eager to follow in his footsteps.

MAX McCATHIE (ROOSTERS)

Twelve months ago, McCathie was alongside Rooster young guns Siua Wong and Xavier Va’a in a red hot SG Ball side.

Not much was expected of the local junior in Flegg this season, but such has been his rise, the damaging ball carrier was named Jersey Flegg Cup Player of the Year at the recent Brad Fittler Medal night.

Bleeds red, white and blue, and according to Feeney, is a warrior who thrives the hotter the cauldron gets.

HOOKERS

REUBEN MOYLE (BULLDOGS)

A Lennox Head junior, Moyle arrived at Belmore last year as a speedy outside back. This season out of necessity, Vella insisted on shifting the Northern Rivers rep to the pack.

After initially not wanting a bar of it, Moyle has since made the position his own.

Young enough to go around in Flegg next season, he’s still honing his craft but has already developed strong combinations and brings enough nous to pick apart the opposition.

ALAN HOLTEN (ROOSTERS)

Feeney sees plenty of Craig Wing in this La Perouse junior, who with a background in rugby at Scots College has gravitated from the outside backs to dummy half.

Proud of his Aboriginal heritage, Holten works with Indigenous kids throughout the day, and with another season of U21s ahead of him, the Roosters believe at his current trajectory he’s destined to become an accomplished first grader.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just watched it. No joke like watching young Penrith players playing. Unbelievable speed In the ruck and commitment in both defence and attack. Gona be hard to stop if they play like that in the gf.
Where did you watch this mate, is there a link for a re-watch ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog