Bulldogs hang Pay out to dry

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The problem is nobody within the administration has any idea on the coaching!!!! As you know, Like it or not players & their managers factor in the coach, roster, the organisation & the prospect of improving as well as success when making decisions; it’s not all about the money. Right now you know this is only one of many reasons the Club is struggling to land a quality signing.
Deny it all you like.
That was a quick 6 months! :-)
What am I denying? Nothing.
Of course they ‘factor it in’ along with money and other considerations - but to suggest no-one will sign because of what is being speculated about and fake news being leaked is simply not true.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's not just Crawley. Every journo is sympathetic towards Pay. For some reason he's a protected species who dare not be criticized. They all treat like a victim and overlook his shitting coaching. I get that he inherited a shit roster, and nobody is blaming him for that but to overlook his coaching deficiencies is just ridiculous. For the last 2 weeks Brandy has been pointing out that when we make a rare line break, there is no friggin support. It happened against the Sharks and then the following week against the Tigers. That is down to Pay. Simples
Its been said before, the media love having us down and out and as inept as possible.

Hasler was talked up the last few years while he dismantled the club. They're happy to support Pay putting in the final nail.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So if Ok or CH or both are successful with their day in appeal court, will we have to pay them while they were de-registered?
I'd say they will have to be paid by someone as in effect they will never have been "legally" deregistered. The cash of course is irrelevant, what's important is whether or not the NRL includes it in our Cap. Which it shouldn't be because the NRL wouldn't allow them to play for us (or anyone). Which is why I suspect the NRL won't let us replace them until the appeal is resolved.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'd say they will have to be paid by someone as in effect they will never have been "legally" deregistered. The cash of course is irrelevant, what's important is whether or not the NRL includes it in our Cap. Which it shouldn't be because the NRL wouldn't allow them to play for us (or anyone). Which is why I suspect the NRL won't let us replace them until the appeal is resolved.

Go Dogs
But we may still have to back pay them till beginning of their deregistration until now.

That could be several months amounting to $300k?

What a great precedent.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But we may still have to back pay them till beginning of their deregistration until now.
That could be several months amounting to $300k?
What a great precedent.
Yes it is pretty farked, and easily foreseeable, the NRL (it was that Green someone, I've forgotten him) was very naive in thinking they could deregister players for nothing illegal.
Maybe the Covid 19 pay cut might kick in, who knows, that's why it's taking so long to reach a result, it's gunna be complicated either way.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a interesting quote from Pay back in May that seems to contradict the thought that we can't sign replacements for Okonbur and CHN........
The Bulldogs have listed 27 players plus two rookies on their biosecurity approved list to attend training and games, with hopes to fill the other three spots with quality recruits.

After the club sacked Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera earlier in the year, new recruit Joe Stimson was then ruled out for what is expected to be the season with a shoulder injury.

It leaves three vacancies in the Bulldog's top 17 line-up, and Pay is hopeful of finding the right players to plug the gaps.

"We've got a couple of spots open and I think most clubs have a couple of spots open, so there's an opportunity where if we get further injuries and we need to recruit we can bring some more players in," he said on Friday.

"I think we're in a pretty healthy position to be in."

The club is still awaiting clarification from the NRL over the salary cap, as well as whether top-30 rosters will need to be filled by June 30 as per a usual season.

On Monday, the NRL lifted restrictions on contract negotiations, allowing player trade to resume between clubs.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/st...to-market-for-nrl-players/?cs=14326#gsc.tab=0

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes it is pretty farked, and easily foreseeable, the NRL (it was that Green someone, I've forgotten him) was very naive in thinking they could deregister players for nothing illegal.
Maybe the Covid 19 pay cut might kick in, who knows, that's why it's taking so long to reach a result, it's gunna be complicated either way.

Go Dogs
I got bagged by "the jackels" on here for putting these scenarios up as this unfolded.

I was told it wasn't a legal matter etc etc. My point was if it did get to court, under employment law we may not have had a leg to stand on. If this judgement by the NRL rep doesnt favour OK and CHN theres a big chance it will go to court. Those guys have had their means of making a living taken off them.

If the players are found to have been unlawfully or harshly dealt with, then we are so open to litigation it doesn't bear thinking about. Could be catastrophic consequences.

The players did wrong no doubt. But our club did not handle this well IMO. No i's dotted or and t's crossed and now we have the players in the "what have we got to lose situation...we go 'em". Ya thunk the players managers will take it lying down.

Whether thats NRL or Bulldogs, this could have far reaching implications.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is a interesting quote from Pay back in May that seems to contradict the thought that we can't sign replacements for Okonbur and CHN........
Stopped reading at Pay saying he thinks we're in a pretty healthy position lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I got bagged by "the jackels" on here for putting these scenarios up as this unfolded.

I was told it wasn't a legal matter etc etc. My point was if it did get to court, under employment law we may not have had a leg to stand on. If this judgement by the NRL rep doesnt favour OK and CHN theres a big chance it will go to court. Those guys have had their means of making a living taken off them.

If the players are found to have been unlawfully or harshly dealt with, then we are so open to litigation it doesn't bear thinking about. Could be catastrophic consequences.

The players did wrong no doubt. But our club did not handle this well IMO. No i's dotted or and t's crossed and now we have the players in the "what have we got to lose situation...we go 'em". Ya thunk the players managers will take it lying down.

Whether thats NRL or Bulldogs, this could have far reaching implications.
Correct.
You got bagged because you have zero idea what you’re talking about.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another Anderson special, hide when things are tough and blame it on the coach... also bend over for nrl and sack our best edge forward for another team to sign him a few months later. This is the exact reason why my patience is growing thin with this current board. Why in the world wouldn’t they let pay sign josh who we could use atm even for the year which has no effect on our cap atall.
Absolute joke!

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I bet he signs with Parra as a big fuck you to us haha

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The media really do love to write more sob stories for Pay than I've seen with any other coach with his record... The rest of it read as if it was all based on comments from The Kennel and not actual sources.

The constant bullshit about Reynolds being turned down on a 200k contract is a joke... As if the Tigers would swallow the other 650k of his deal this year and next.

As for CHN.. If another clubs signs them without us getting compensation then once again other clubs would prosper from our clubs decisions.
It’s actually unbelievable how much he is getting away with this in the media. The only close one in recent memory was Brown but he actually had the youngest and worst roster probably since the 90s magpies and they turned on him after two years. Bulldogs at the bottom of the table creates plenty of interest like Brisbane it’s rare to see us there. So by keeping Pay we will be down there for a while or they just dislike us a lot

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay could simply be asked to table his plan for 2021. At least the guy has been given a go with some money to operate with.

Who is he buying - to fill which positions.

When he was blocked from bringing Reynolds back (not that that was necessarily the right move but it did bring some experience to the halves) the writing was on the wall.