Bulldogs freeze on contract upgrades

Malla

Reaction score
Read in the paper this morning the Bulldogs have put a freeze on any upgrades to current players off contract at the end of this year.

Napa, Hoppa (england) and JMK were noted as leaving. I am going to assume that with JMK not even offered a new deal means we surely have someone lined up for Hooker (BSmith?).

I think 2-3 from the current 15 off contract will be kept, others will be gone.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Aside from Renouf and maybe Okunbur and Meaney, there's no one you'd even consider re-signing.

They better announce some quality signings soon though otherwise they'll be forced to panic buy to fill out the squad and make up 95% of the cap.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
DOGS BEGIN THEIR HEFTY OVERHAUL

CANTERBURY’S roster cull is set to begin as the Belmore club puts a freeze on contract extension offers, placing the future of 16 players in limbo.

The Bulldogs have been one of the most active recruiters in the market having signed boom playmaker Matt Burton, premiership winger Josh Addo-Carr and Brent Naden for 2022.

But internally, The Daily Telegraph understands a number of players have already been informed they will not be re-signed.

Former Origin forward Dylan Napa, who has been shopped to other clubs, is set to lead Trent Barrett’s roster overhaul which included fellow off-contract players Will Hopoate, Jeremy Marshall-King, and Nick Meaney.

It’s believed the club will retain around four of the 16 players fighting to save their careers at Belmore. It’s understood the club has also decided to put a freeze on making any official extension offers while the side is struggling.

The player market has been slow to move so far, even though over 160 players have no contract to play in season 2022.

One leading player agent told The Daily Telegraph once the market picks up there will be “carnage for high profile players” on mega deals and that the lack of movement has put players in “survival mode”. Cronulla has a number of high-profile players facing a huge pay cut including Josh Dugan, Matt Moylan and Shaun Johnson, regardless of where they land in season 2022.

Johnson, who appeared to be on the outer, revealed on Monday incoming head coach Craig Fitzgibbon is “interested” in keeping the experienced five-eighth in the shire.

“Me and Fitzy have had a good chat. He’s shown some interest in me but not contract has been signed and no contract has been offered,” Johnson said.

A shift to the 15-man game was also floated after meeting with former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika but Johnson said those discussions were more about exploring every option available.

Canberra could now be an option for Johnson, and other offcontract halves like Anthony Milford and Ash Taylor, after the club’s messy break-up with English playmaker George Williams.

In a win for Fitzgibbon, the Sharks have staved off Canterbury to retain rising forward Toby Rudolf beyond this year.

In Wollongong, St George Illawarra have the surprising decision to let go of Matt Dufty, who has been one of the Dragons’ best this season. It’s understood the club has been unable to provide the fullback with an exact reason why he won’t be re-signed beyond Anthony Griffin’s desire to reshape his roster moving forward.

Griffin is also set to meet with Corey Norman this week. The coach is said to be a fan of Norman but the playmaker’s price tag is set to be part of the discussion.

The Rabbitohs are “hopeful” of retaining either Dane Gagai or Jaydn S’uA but salary cap changes are likely to see S’uA squeezed out. Parramatta’s bargain signing Bryce Cartwright has had positive talks with the club and said he would “love” to stay.

“I’m not too sure yet what’s going on, but I’d love to stay here,” he said. “I’ve got some great friends here, I think I’m going to play my best footy here and I love learning under Brad.” While it is shaping as a “buyer’s market”, allowing clubs to offer low ball deals, one player whose stocks have risen is Penrith’s Kurt Capewell. He has a one-year deal on the table but a number of suitors, including Canter- Brisbane and , , North Queensland, are keen on the in-form Maroons utility forward.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
AToni is lazy
So is most of the squad. He's still worth retaining as a bench forward on a cheap deal. He's had several good games this season, so the potential is there...

He's better than Hetherington, Waddell etc who would probably cost more. I'd rather re-sign Renouf than spend more on another clubs backup forward who might be worse than him.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read in the paper this morning the Bulldogs have put a freeze on any upgrades to current players off contract at the end of this year.

Napa, Hoppa (england) and JMK were noted as leaving. I am going to assume that with JMK not even offered a new deal means we surely have someone lined up for Hooker (BSmith?).

995E067B-786B-4538-AE09-E8018E53DD15.jpeg

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The longer this shit drags on about Brandon smith the more it’s not happening. Everyone in world knows bulldogs need a hooker smith knows they are keen on him it’s been in media for months now. If it’s going to happen it should’ve happened but now. Why any player would wanna leave the storm is beyond me. They always win they are away from
The Sydney hype and even if on the bench still part of a team flogging everyone every week.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the broom through all 15 no questions asked.

These players have had enough time and chances to prove themselves and I have not seen any one of them go to another level even in the mediocre teams we have fielded in the past. Not one player stands out week in week out, not one!!!!!

Of these 15 players we don't have representative players, we have not had top point scorers and top try scorers not even close to the top four of these categories and we have not had a player even looking like getting in top of the Dally M's.

To compete for Premierships we have to have better individuals in key positions and if individuals are competitive with all of the above then the team will benefit as a whole but other individuals will strive with better players around them. We have lacked any class whatsoever.

We can no longer be sentimental and feel sorry for players who simply have not cut it in the NRL.

Lets now start a new era lead by Burton, JAC, Naden and future players wanting to play for us.

Lets go Doggie's!!!!

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Put the broom through all 15 no questions asked.

These players have had enough time and chances to prove themselves and I have not seen any one of them go to another level even in the mediocre teams we have fielded in the past. Not one player stands out week in week out, not one!!!!!

Of these 15 players we don't have representative players, we have not had top point scorers and top try scorers not even close to the top four of these categories and we have not had a player even looking like getting in top of the Dally M's.

To compete for Premierships we have to have better individuals in key positions and if individuals are competitive with all of the above then the team will benefit as a whole but other individuals will strive with better players around them. We have lacked any class whatsoever.

We can no longer be sentimental and feel sorry for players who simply have not cut it in the NRL.

Lets now start a new era leaded by Burton, JAC, Naden and future players wanting to play for us.

Lets go Doggie's!!!!
Agree with your sentiments but Atoni and Ok worth a 1 year extn, subject to price.

Otherwise yes, the rest have not shown enough to suggest they will develop further (at our club).

Amendment:
Probably need to add Ava and Deitz.

Last edited: